Diagonal weave stitch

This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanR2 wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 11:33 PM

I must apologize to forum members for not paying close attention to the thread on diagonal weave. I have been searching for instructions for the bracelet that was pictured several weeks ago, without success.

I just love the look of it and hope a reader can direct me to instructions.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Suzan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
on Oct 7, 2010 1:34 PM

HI Suzan, are you talking about what one member called "cree beadweaving"?  If so, David Dean has a book "Beading in the Native American Tradition", that I believe has that technique in there.  I have the book at home and can check (hopefully if I remember,lol). 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 7, 2010 7:17 PM

stan, aka "CrystalCube" posted two Native American Books on the BD Forum . If you google "Native American Indian Diagonal Weave." There are photos on the website, that show detail instruction. (I am borrowing a dail up internet to post/read,)my serving wouldn't download the site. so you will need High Speed Connection.

There is a lot of post some time back on it. Good Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Oct 7, 2010 7:48 PM

If you post the link to the picture we can probably let you know who made the pattern and where to get it from, or what technique was used.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Oct 9, 2010 12:24 AM

Hi Suzan,

There was a lengthy discussion on Diagonal Weave quite a while back. If you have Beadwork June/July 2001 issue, Sally Ingram has an article in there.

Sandy

Down Under

Sandy

Down Under

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanR2 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 4:45 PM

Thank you, Sandy. I will check to see if I have that issue. I appreciate your help.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanR2 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 4:47 PM

Ruth, thank you for the suggestion. I do not, however, use a digital camera or know how to post.

I appreciate your help.

Suzan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanR2 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 4:51 PM

Thank you for your help. I will see if I can locate the instructions at that website.

Suzan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanR2 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 5:47 PM

Hi again Sandy. I have found the article by Sally Ingram in the June/July 2001 Beadwork issue. I am wondering if I can use one of the beading threads like Nymo or C-Lon instead of the recommended Perle cotton. This pattern is done with a tapestry needle, 4 x 4 cubes, and Perle cotton. I had planned to use 4mm fire polished Czech beads or size 8 seed beads. I'll play around and see what happens.

Thank you again.

Suzan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SuzanR2 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 6:15 PM

To seekinshadows, Gypsy Marie, and all who replied.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did find the article on Native American diagonal fingerweaving after I Googled as well as the two magazine articles mentioned in previous posts. I believe both of them will help me.

Thank you again,

Suzan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JerryI wrote
on May 11, 2011 9:55 AM

Hi Suzan and Sandy, 

Sally here.  You can use any thread that fills the hole in your bead. If the thread is too thin your work will wobble and if it is too thick your work will be stiff.  A happy medium gives your work a delightful drape.  However, Nymo is just too slippery and curly to use.  I actually no longer use tapestry needles on the cube beads but dental floss threaders or twisted wire needles or "big eye" needles.   The needles are used only to thread the beads and are not involved in the weaving process as indicated in some other's articles.  I have used a lot of different beads with diagonal weave but have not had much luck with triangle beads or "niblets". 

If you can get hold of an old Threads magazine (June/July 1994 under Sally Gauthier) I have an article there too on diagonal weave with instructions on how to make designs with different colors of beads. I demonstrate a pair of earrings in the article.  There are some photos of my work in an old beadwrangler article and on my facebook page, www.facebook.com/ingrambead.  

Sally Ingram

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS