The best alternatives to Fireline

This post has 59 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 1:18 PM

May be the type of stitch and work parameters (bead weight, length, purpose, etc.) should determine the thread used?

I used fishing line (just something I had available) to string a Christmas card garland, because it needed to be strong enough to hang in an archway.  I doubled the line and used plastic beads -- it worked fine.  Not sure if the fishing line would have worked if I had used heavier beads; weight would have caused the line to stretch.

May be the same care should be used in choosing the thread as is used in choosing the beads?  (not that it isn't)

This thread is worth checking from time to time.  Yeah, it rocks Big Smile!

Sarah Coffee

10-07-12 (1118 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 3:08 PM

Sarah, Nymo should be stretched before you start working with it, cut off what you are going to use and do some big wide stretches with it, then wax or condition as you desire and work it. You will feel the stretch happen with a longer length. Fireline does not stretch. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Oct 11, 2012 5:08 PM

Thank you, Donna

I've never had a problem with Nymo stretching -- been using only 90DOL stitch lately (4-6 passes thru beads).  I will be following your advice (stretching before using) from now on; want to explore/revisit other stitches.  I finally finished my first cuff bracelet using 90DOL and I'm going to do the same piece in Square stitch to compare the results (90DOL vs. Square st); will stretch thread for this one.  Would love to see your work sometime Smile.

Sarah Coffee

10-11-12 (1507 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CMB3080 wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:14 PM

I recently used Nymd thread because I don't have anymore Fireline and my budget is tight right now so I can't buy any. I really don't like this thread. It frays and it leaves my work floppy. I used it for a Cellini spiral (size O) and I don't like how floppy it feels. I tend to like a stiffer bracelet depending on the design of course, but this is not even a little stiff. I d/c this project because I didn't feel the end results of a "floppy" bangle would look very nice. So I want to now try my fishing line with the Cellini and see how that works out. Fireline is really good but the price can be ridiculous for only a few yards.  I've used fishing line for many designs and got great results especially with rings and RAW bracelet designs. I really hope is works for the Cellini too.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 2:34 PM

CMB3080, Nymo 0 is very very fine stuff, I don't even own any, but it would be for use with the really old size 20 and up baeds. For a Cellini you MUST have either really good tension and use a thicker Nymo or go on to a stiffer material. I have made some floppy Cellini's, wasn't feeling really good and wanted a new bracelet, took a refresher on how to start one as I hadn't done one in years. Got it all started and was not concentrating on it just working it and even using Fireline 6# it came out floppy.......my error. But I wanted to make a REALLY wavy one with size 6, 8 and 11 beads and I picked up a spool of Wildfire that I got in a kit and hadn't used. Wildfire black sheds and I hate it, but the white is fine. It is thicker than Fireline and definitely stiffer.

Even with my old fart, stiff fingers, I made a greatly exaggerated (sp?) Cellini and it is definitely holding it's shape. I made another while I still remembered how to start it, just to get it down and I used Fireline and it made up stiff, but I was watching my tension much better and every couple of stitches I'd give it a bit of a tug to make sure. Not enough to break threads, but a decent tug. It would probably work with Nymo is you used Nymo D, prestretched it, waxed it and used it double. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 9
murralis wrote
on Apr 23, 2013 11:47 PM

Today while shopping at the Base Exchange I took a look at the fishing equipment and found different fishing line called "Sufix Performance  Fuse" in a color called, smoke blue. Guess the fishermen did not like it. 125 yds. 10lb. (smallest thy had left) was marked down  from $18.49 to $6.00. Has anyone tried it? Bought some anyway..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,364
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 12:50 AM

Give it a try and let us know what you think of it. Have you used Fireline? 10# test is a bit thicker and stiffer, but it might work well for tubular peyote. It didn't look any thicker than Wildfire....... .20mm and it is the same base material as Fireline.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 27, 2013 10:50 PM

I've had to look at buying other brands of beading thread as, my local Kmart stopped selling Fireline, and the thought of paying postage just to buy one reel of Fireline didn't cut it for me.

So I've had to read up on monofilament, especially the low stretch ones. What i managed to get at the camping shop was, Berkeley Trilene Maxx 2.7kg 330yd and Platypus Pretest 3kg 300m. They're both clear monofilaments. And according to their websites, made to behave like a braid, with all the strength and low abrasion qualities.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 28
EmmaBaby123 wrote
on Apr 28, 2013 9:41 AM

Hi,

Ive never had to use an alternative to Fireline.  I recently tried Nymo & i didn't find too much wrong with it.  Plus it's cheaper than Fireline.  So you may want to try that. 

I would still use Fireline 90% of the time though.

Regards

Emma x

For knotting techniques & tips & how to create macrame plant hangers, bracelets & necklaces, check out:  http://www.freemacramepatterns.net/

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 465
shanks wrote
on Apr 28, 2013 5:58 PM

Blue,

The co-polymer lines are a much better choice than any of the monofilament's. A Fluorocarbon is both abrasion resistant and very low stretch. Look up fishing line on he Web and you can find places with free shipping.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 28, 2013 9:03 PM

Thnx! I know there are places that offer free shipping, but I don't live in the States. I live in Australia, there are free shipping but you have to spend in some case over $200 for that to happen. And since I live in an area where its kinda a holiday fishing camping spot, I can get my lines cheaper and in bigger reels.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 465
shanks wrote
on Apr 29, 2013 12:19 AM

Didn't realize you are way down under. But take a look at the Fluorocarbon's, they are a very good product.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
trayck wrote
on Apr 29, 2013 3:41 AM

Hi Blue,

I'm an Aussie too and always looking for places to buy beading necessities. What are you paying per reel of the alternatives you got?

I never found fireline  at Kmart but got a 125 yard reel of 6lb Crystal from my local BCF for $24.95 which works out to be $0.20/yard (i think that works out $0.22 per metre when you convert it).

T.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Apr 30, 2013 1:01 AM

Fireline at Kmart didn't last long, well not at my local one. It was just too expensive for them. I buy usually from BCF, Ray's Outdoors (both had run out and only had the 14lb one), or the fishing and tackle place at The Entrance.

I'm not sure per reel, I just know its fairly cheaper than buying branded ones like Beadsmith or Beadalon. It's the same type of thread line, you just paying for the name.

Page 4 of 4 (60 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS