Help! How do I bead an Inukshuk?

This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
RobynO2 wrote
on May 24, 2008 9:05 PM

A coworker has asked me to make a pendant or earrings for his ladyfriend to look like an inukshuk.  I have NO idea where to start or how I'd cobble something together, or what to use.  I'd rather avoid glue or solder, and stick to wire or thread to put it together.  Any thoughts?  Any advice?  Has anyone else made one of these before? 

Not Ranked
Posts 17
LC7196 wrote
on May 25, 2008 3:03 PM

You might be able to use gemstone chips to replicate an inikshuk.  You'd have to look through them to find shapes that when stacked together would have the right look.  The other thought I have is that you could make stone looking beads in shapes you need out of polymer clay then wire them together.  Hope this helps.  Lidia

So many beads - so little time 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 34
Pam wrote
on May 25, 2008 6:32 PM

Thankyou for the link that explains what an Inukshuk is. Perhaps use the stylised icon from the flag as shown on that site as your guide and look for  beads and stones that reflect that shape depending on how they are drilled you should be able to wire or stitch them together.

Good luck...let's know how you get on ...an interesting problem to solve

Just let me be...ad  happy.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Marilyn P wrote
on May 26, 2008 8:09 AM

I agree with the other posters about using stone chips.  Depending on how big you want to make them, would head pins help any?  The earrings could be stacked on a pin, with a loop to attach to the ear wire.  What an interesting thing to be asked to make, and we've all learned something new. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KiaR wrote
on May 28, 2008 8:08 PM

How incredible that I'm searching the internet for answer to the very same question and this comes up.  I've been thinking stones and wire, or even thread of some kind.  Interesting problem

Kia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 10:21 AM
what about using stick pearls for the longer pieces? Fire mountain gems has a large selection of colors, and you can get them center drilled or drilled lengthwise. You could wire wrap them together with stone chips, which I agree would work well for your project.

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 6
MarissaM wrote
on Jun 3, 2008 10:49 AM

What I am thinking of might be big for earrings, but http://www.riverstonebead.com/ River Stone Bead Company has great beads that can be stacked to look a lot like the pictures in your link (thanks SO much for that). They will be at the Bead and Button show...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 9:40 AM

You can try talking to landscaping compaines or nurseries that do landscaping. They often use flagstone, granite, and other stones for decorative purposes and when they stockpile them on the grounds, little chips and chunks break off. I have gotten some before for a diaorama that my baby girl had to make for school. They gave them to me. They are just trash as far as the nursery were concerned. If you want smoother sides, you can always put them in a rock tumbler for a few. Another thing to remember is that some of the stones will break if you drill into the wrong place and since we never know what place is right or wrong, so you might want to pick up a few exrtras.

I use a variable speed Dremel rotary tool(Quite possibly the most used tool in my world!) with diamond dust embeded round tipped bits to drill through glass and stone. If the stones are very thick, you have to keep the bit cool by spraying a little water on it as you drill. I usually get my wife or one of the girls to spray while I grind. Just regular tap water in any old spray bottle will work. This is usually not necessary if you are just enlarging existing holes. The diamond dust bits are relatively expensive, but they will last forever if used and cared for properly. I have been using the same bits that I bought in 1989 when I got my very first Dremel tool, and I have drilled in some tough stuff and they always come through for me. I am working on my 4th Dremel with the same bits. ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 1:38 PM
Thank you for the Dremel information -- I've been thinking about buying one, but all I know about power tools is what you can learn by watching "This Old House." Now I know what to look for! By the way... I find myself looking forward to your posts because your avatar is so pretty. :-)
Carol
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Jun 7, 2008 11:07 AM

You are quite welcome. I mean it when I say that it is the most used tool that I have EVER owned. You may also want to know that Dremel has a whole line of accessories that can make your life a whole lot easier. They have a table clamp for the tool that is great if you are grinding or polishing as well as a drill press device that allows you to clamp tiny objects in place in order to drill them perfectly. You would not believe the selection of cutting, grinding, polishing, and drilling bits that are available. Don't get overwhelmed and spend a fortune on things that you will never use. Trust me on that, I have a hundred bucks worth of bits that I have never taken out of the package.

Thank you for the compliment of the avatar, but it was sheer dumb luck that made it the way it is. I can not take credit for the final outcome as I accidentally turned the image that I was working on into a negative. I looked at it and said, "Cool" and clicked 'save'. Total and complete accident, but I liked it. ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS