" Kumihimo" as seen at the PA Beadfest, using 4mm Crystals

This post has 11 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
jazzi3 wrote
on Sep 13, 2010 5:59 PM

Hi,

I wasn't able to go to the "Wire Bead Fest in PA",  but I met up with a local bead group in my area and one of the girl's had taken the class. I was stunned at how beautiful the beads sat up! I figured I didn't need to learn the "Kumihimo Wheel" since I had basically learned all the other beadwoven stitches, so I was passing this one up. But I would learn the Kumihimo just to make this one  bracelet. I know its a long shot but I wondered if the Wire Magazine had any past articles on this style as seen at the "WireFest" in PA? I thought I would asked. In Bead & Button, I found a few past articles which I sent to my girl friend in AZ, who only does work on the Kumihimo Wheel. She's  a beginner.

By the way I miss "Step By Step Beads". I have to say I learned alot from that magazine. Now, I'm down to two bead magazines " Bead & Button and Beadwork". Occasionally the wire magazine and sometimes BeadStyle. Are there any new designers coming  out with a book on Kumihimo, with new pattern ideas like the one at BeadFest?

Thanks inadvance for responding.

Sincerely,

mona lisa

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Sep 13, 2010 6:24 PM

Hi Jazzy, I would like to think that I am an expert on Kumihimo.  What you must remember is that the basic way of doing it, using 4 strands to create 8 separate strands on a disk is the way you will always do this particular type...there are many other ways using more strands...it is not about the technique but more about what beads you use.  I use all shapes and sizes and they all look different.  Here are some of my favorites.  I have probabaly made 20 or 30 different kumis and they sell very well these are just a picture of a few as I don't want to bombard this post with pictures.  The technique is all the same...just be creative with your beads.  I use very little seed bead usually only 1 strand and the other 3 are different types of beads and use squares or hexes or tri's...be creative.  If you buy 3 strands, put them together and twist them...that is what your bracelet will look like and if you like, them make it and always stay consistent with each bead drop...if you drop 1 of one type of bead, always drop 1 of that particular bead and so on.  Good luck to you and show us your kumis and if you would like to see some of my other kumis, just shoot me a email.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
LaVonne@4 wrote
on Dec 31, 2010 7:42 AM

If you know anyone who saves magazines (and I think we all do) check Step by Step Wire, summer 2008, page 15 for the instructions you want. The article is titled Kumihimo crystal bracelet, and uses 4mm round crystals. I'm making a notebook of the favorites I want to save out of my stack of magazines, and I just came across this last night. Have fun, LaVonne

Not Ranked
Posts 4
jazzi3 wrote
on Dec 31, 2010 10:10 AM

Hi Lina,

Thank you for your email. I do have that issue. I was at a bead meeting in NY and I saw a wire bracelet that was made at the WireFest 2010 , using the kumihmio.

I am not familiar with the kumihmio. They use crystals on the wire instead of thread and lima shaped beans in the middle, and closed it with bead caps, plus crystals ( shaped it into a ball at the very end.

I was hoping that this pattern would show up in one of the bead books or magazines. It was very unusual, especially the ending. Not sure how she did it!

I think next year I will try my hand at the kumihmio. I basically do beadweaving stitches like peyote, herringbone, right angle weave etc.  Again thank you. In the meantime I will continue to look for this bracelet, it is diffentely worth making. Or perhaps when I get to learning the kumihmio I will make a different version of it since I have no idea how she put the crystals in a ball at the end of the bracelet. I can only guess its a magnatic closure with crystals around it.

Have a Happy Blessed New Year to you and your family.

Jazzi

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 256
blueflute wrote
on Jan 5, 2011 10:03 AM

Here's a crystal and wire kumihimo bracelet in the  how to make section...........  http://beadingdaily.com/media/p/64527/showcontent.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 10, 2011 10:46 AM

When doing beaded Kumihimo what is the best base thread/wire to use?  Is it better to use a wire when beading or fireline?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,323
DebWAZ wrote
on Aug 27, 2011 5:56 PM

What you string beads on for Kumihimo depends on the pattern and what result you want. In our Kumihimo classes, we use Fireline or WildFire. You can also use S-Lon, Silk thread, Dandyline, or PowerPro. I have it on good authority (thanks Anne) that you shouldn't use embroidery floss with beads.

Wire, probably 22, 24 or 26 ga would be the best. I don't think you can use flex wire, unless it's the finest size and the highest strand count. Something like SoftTouch .010" *might* work, though I wouldn't guarantee it.

Hopefully, Anne from Moss Hollow will chime in here - she's the expert on Kumihimo!

Deb

Deb

Apache Junction, AZ

www.azbeaddepot.com

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Aug 27, 2011 10:03 PM

HI, I am an "Amatuer Kumi nut". I love fireline for adding beads. I only use the 1/8 or 1/4" ribbons that I can get here in Deming,NM. It blends in well with the Ribbon.

Now I wanta try using Crystals with the wire. humm, another project coming soon.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Barbie Jones wrote
on Nov 21, 2011 11:28 PM

I saw beaded kumihimo  in one magazine and try to do the same pattern. It is not easy for beginners but I am satisfied with the outcome. Upon browsing this forum, I got more ideas from the images Miss LinaG2 shared here. I know now what is my next project. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
LeslieR3 wrote
on Jan 13, 2012 9:42 PM

HI. Just found your post two years later but wanted to say thanks for missing Step by Step Beads. I was the editor for almost 7 years and was sad (and puzzled) when the honchos at Interweave decided to close it down. B&B and BW,  SBS Wire jewelry, Bead Style and the rest are all great, so keep beading!

--Leslie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 14, 2012 6:57 PM

Here's a helpful web site:

http://www.lythastudios.com/123bead/kumiplanner.html

You can experiment with different colors and number of threads, and the computer program will simulate what your braid will look like before you do it!  Pretty cool. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
livings53 wrote
on Jan 20, 2012 4:45 PM

Great Site!!!

thanks

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS