ShopHandmade.com?? Better than Etsy??

This post has 185 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 10:30 PM

I totally agree!  And I love being a part of a group that supports each others' efforts.  BD Friends rocks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Oct 9, 2010 1:10 AM

Would someone E Mail me off Forum. What is a Shop Handmade Shop? and where do I find the website to open a shop?

ps. sorry, I been off line and missed this postCrying Thanks in advance for your assistence.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 9, 2010 2:04 AM

I did send you an email, Mary, but I must have missed you. Definitely go to www.shophandmade.com and  check it out. And here's the direct link to the BD Friends market: 

http://www.shophandmade.com/Market/Bdfriends

It's good to see you around here again!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 11, 2010 4:25 PM

Mary, did you find Shop Handmade okay?  It's not nearly as sophisticated a site as ArtFire, but I like it because there's a much greater opportunity to shine there, kwim?  I love my ArtFire shop and all the great tools that come with a Pro account, but I feel like I get lost in the crowd there.

We'd love to have you join the BD Friends market on Shop Handmade!

BTW, I was thinking of you the other day.  I *finally* bought some tiny buttons at Wal-Mart and made a couple pairs of earrings similar to the black and white earrings you made me for the swap.  You've gotta use a jumpring that's just the right size, don't you?  When I used 5.5mm jumprings, I got just the look I wanted with the buttons I was using.  But when I used 6mm jumprings, the buttons hang down more and don't stand up as well.  I love your design!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 521
on Oct 12, 2010 6:54 PM

So, after reading this thread you all have convinced me to open a SHM store. I've gone through the basic set-up process and am trying to create a banner for my store. I've tried saving the one I came up with but it isn't showing up when i go to my store.....I might have it the wrong size (I'm using PSE 5.0) because I am not a digital graphic artist and Photoshop kind of confuzzles me. Anybody have any pointers for me? I sure would appreciate any help you could give. Thanks bunches!

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 12, 2010 7:03 PM

if you'd like to send me a picture of your work, I'll be happy to make you a banner out of it. I happen to be updating my banners and avatars in fall colors as we speak, so all of my programs are open!

If you want to do one for yourself, I have my own little shortcuts: I use PowerPoint 2010 (or 2007) to create them because their graphics tools are so much fun. I simply crop a picture down to the size I'm looking for (with strategically chosen parts of the pic visible) and add word art for the text. 

I've made a few banners and avatars for other members, so I'm happy to throw together a matching set for you if you'd like. It's something to get you up and going, and you can start working on your listings while I do it

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 12, 2010 7:05 PM

oh, and ... if you're using Photoshop ....

pop me an email I can help you with that, but we'd have to do a little bit of to-ing and fro-ing

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 521
on Oct 12, 2010 8:45 PM

should i send you my pic through forum email or regular email? I noticed that in the forum email the picture either has to come from a url or the site....so how should i go about it?

shellie :-)

BTW-thanks for your offer to help. It's very nice of you :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 12, 2010 9:01 PM

you're more than welcome ... I sent you an email you can reply to ... i think ... it's becoming one of those evenings, so keep me away from heavy machinery

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 13, 2010 11:26 AM

I'm jumping up and down here (with my laptop on my lap, it's hilarious!) Big Smile  I just got an e-mail from a very nice lady, Reyna, with whom I've exchanged several e-mails about ShopHandmade.  [Skip down to the *** below if you don't want to read the back-story, you know how long-winded I can be...]  I've been passing along any suggestions that are made in this thread, as well as things I come up with as I'm managing my shop -- things that would make the SH site easier to work with.  (Please, please, puhleaze get rid of that mouse-over feature on the Add Item pages!!!)  I've also asked Reyna a few questions, and she's been great about answering right away, even if it's "I'll check and get back to you."  One of the things I mentioned was the fact that when you go to the Markets page on SH, there's small print at the bottom of the page that says only markets with 4 or more members will be displayed.  That small print was the impetus that got me pushing the BD Friends market on this thread -- so we'd have at least 4 members and would show up on that page.  Then once we had 4 members, I went back to the Markets page.  There's a bar at the top that says "Featured Markets" and I was disappointed  to see that BD Friends was not included in that bar.

So I investigated a bit further and found that some of the "Featured Markets" only have 1 member shop!  Ditto for the other markets shown on the page.  Needless to say, that irked me a bit and I contacted Reyna about it.  She said that for the time being, while SH is still so new, they had removed the requirement for markets to have 4 or more members to be displayed on the Markets page.  Of course, I suggested that at least the "Featured Markets" should have at least 4 members, but since I'm a geek myself, I know that changes like that don't come overnight.  Reyna mentioned that she was impressed by our market and I ended up pointing her to this thread (don't know if she's read it, but I have a feeling she might have.)

***  So in her e-mail this morning, Reyna says that she does social media for Artbeads and would like to feature the BD Friends market on the Artbeads Facebook and Twitter pages!!!  Here's what she said:  "Your shop (as well as the others) is a wonderful example of what type of shops are there. This will also drive a lot of traffic, we have about 34,000 fans on our Facebook page! You may even get a sale or two!"  Isn't that awesome?  She's also working on doing the same for the ShopHandmade Facebook page, and will want feedback and results from us after BD Friends is featured on the Artbeads pages.  Are ya'll okay with that?  Yeah, I figured as much!

Reyna has also asked, "Is there anything you would like me to say about your shop and market? Such as introducing you, you craft, etc."  I definitely don't feel as if I should speak for the whole market, so I'd really, really like your input.  So here's what I'd really appreciate from you:

1.  Your response to Reyna's question.  I'll forward answers from each of us to her, and let her decide what she wants to use, okay?

2.  The About Us page for the market doesn't really say much, I just put in some basics when I set it up.  Here's what we have available:  up to 125 characters of Brief Description, up to 1000 chars. of Welcome, up to 1000 chars. of Policies, and an unknown number of chars. (I'd guess 100) for Tags.  I'd appreciate your thoughts on what sort of things we should include here.  I can compile everyone's responses into a cohesive message, but again, don't want to speak for all of us myself.

3.  We gotta get our artwork finalized and uploaded.  So if you haven't voted on the banners that Moira posted, please do so.  Moira, I haven't tallied the votes yet, have you?  Which banner is the favorite so far?  And if I'm reading everyone right, it seems that the majority of us prefer to rotate the artwork periodically, is that correct?

4.  If you've been procrastinating on listing items or updating artwork, or anything else in your shop, now's the time to get it done.  Once we're featured on the Artbeads Facebook and Twitter pages, I suspect we'll get some traffic, and we wanna look sharp, ladies!  Not that we don't look sharp already!!!  That's not what I mean!  It's more along the lines of my personal situation.  I spent several hours listing beads in my shop on ArtFire, but didn't get them listed in SH yet -- I need to do that!  Plus, I've been meaning to change my shop's sidebar image and add an advertisement image (whatever that's for, maybe I'll find out).  So all those things are on my personal To Do list and if you have any on yours, you might want to bump them to the top priority-wise, kwim?

5.  What am I forgetting?  I always forget something!  What do we need to do that I haven't thought of?

I'll ask Reyna what sort of schedule she's working with and let you know.  I'm still dancing on the ceiling!!!  Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 13, 2010 1:05 PM

Shellie, have you gotten your SH shop set up yet?  If so, then go to the BD Friends market and request membership.  It would be great if your shop were included when we're featured on Facebook and Twitter!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 521
on Oct 13, 2010 2:01 PM

I'm taking pictures of  as much of my inventory as possible...I lost all the pics I had already taken :-(

Today is Wednesday and I have no planned activities for the rest of the day so I should be able to have at least a few listings by the end of the day.

Moira did a great job on my banner/avatar so my shop looks nice now. Thanks again Moira!

I'll go request market membership after i eat lunch....I'm HUNGRY!

Oh...because I like color so much my natural inclination is to pic the most colorful banner Moira made for the market...the sensible side of me however leans more towards the second one from the top. :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 13, 2010 2:17 PM

Shellie, when you request market membership on SH, drop me a quick e-mail to let me know.  It's not real obvious when someone requests membership, I have to go look for it.  Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 13, 2010 2:54 PM

Shellie, go with whichever banner you like! One was certainly based on your idea, and one was me going off on my own (I had to SEARCH BD to find stuff you had posted, LOL) but I wouldn't have sent either of them to you if I weren't satisfied with the finished product. 

Don't forget to put the link to your new store in your BD signature, by the way. I get consistent webstore hits from having a link in there, and it's a great way to get your name out there!

Everyone, I'm going to put out a final call for everyone that would like their work featured in a BD Friends Market banner and avatar. I'm going to start a new thread at midnight with everything that's been finished, and we'll vote on whatever I have at the time. I personally still prefer the idea of changing out the banner and avatar every couple of months so that it's dynamic, updated, and stylish. And if anyone else needs a banner and avatar for their store, I'm once again happy to help: I'm thinking of offering it as a standard service to other market members - it's not required that you use my banners, but if you're struggling with putting them together they're easy for me and it will be one less worry on your plate. 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
JenniferG@72 wrote
on Oct 13, 2010 7:24 PM

Lisa,

This is wonderful!  I know what I will be working on this weekend!!! (adding my inventory)...

Sorry that I have been m.i.a. for the last week... The entire family got that virus/flu that I had and we kept passing it about.  All better now and ready to get back to work!  I know i have to get my pics sent and I will work on your questions above.  I will be getting back to you tomorrow.

Thank you for your hard work!  I am thrilled to be a part of this with you and everyone else!

Jenn

Page 7 of 13 (186 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS