ShopHandmade.com?? Better than Etsy??

This post has 185 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 9:31 AM

Moira - you bring up some very good point and I love the banners you've done.  I think #1 and #3 are at the top of my faves list.   And I'll get a couple pics sent to you soon.

Lisa - ah!! scan it... well that just makes sense!!  (no wonder I didnt think of it :P)

Jennifer - love your bio!  I also like the idea of getting friends to help sell.  I've given away several pieces to family/friends, and asked them to refer anyone that shows interest.  But making them 'earn' some of it might inspire them to use their inner salesman!  :)

karen  ~  BeadDelirium    blog  |  artfire 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 9:38 AM

Lisa - sshhh ... don't tell anyone... but I understood your geek speak (Advance Oracle PL/SQL certification ).   I've been in the IT industry (mainframe ops, server management, client support) - just no actual programming!) from 1980 until last April when I was laid off.  Now I'm just unemployed and get more time to play with my beads!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 1:02 PM

Hey ladies, I've been swamped the last few days and haven't been able to check my email well, sorry!!!

You guys have some really great ideas for the advertising and such, I think it would be really neat to have a diffrent banner for the holidays/seasons or even Cancer Awareness for October along with Halloween.... I know that when I hit up Etsy I'm normally looking for a gift or piece of jewelry that's beyond my level to make lol.

Showcaseing a diffrent shop once a week/month is a good idea as well, I love how much we all try to support each other! Lisa has been the greatest with helping me out!

I've got to run, but I'm going to make time tonight or tomorrow to sift through my email, promise! Angel

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 1:50 PM

Hi Ladies,

I've been thinking about starting a shop since shophandmade  was first mentioned. I'm still on the fence about it.

But I have a question about your market.  Would you except a shop that had more than just beaded items? My mom and I do this together and she doesn't bead. She hand quilts and there are a few other of my family members that occassionally add things to our inventory also non-beaded. So, I was just wondering if you would except a shop that had items that weren't "Bead" related as long as the shop did have beaded items in it? Would there need to be a ratio of some kind of beaded items to non-beaded items?

You may have already stated this somewhere and I just missed it. Sorry?Embarrassed

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 4:24 PM

kareng915:
I've been in the IT industry (mainframe ops, server management, client support) - just no actual programming!) from 1980 until last April when I was laid off. 

Karen, if you worked ops and server management, I'm sure you did your fair share of scripting.  So yes, you DID do actual programming! Geeked  I hate to hear that you were laid off.  Sounds like you have a positive attitude about the situation.  Are you job-hunting, or just enjoying some time off?  I hope it's the latter, the job market stinks right now.

Whaddaya call a geek when he grows up?  Boss!  Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 4:29 PM

SEllen, I don't think we've actually talked about it yet.  Moira, Karen, Kristie, and Jenn, what do you think?

My personal opinion is this...  We started the BD Friends market to support each other in every way we can think of.  On the BD forums, one of the many ways we support each other is by sharing our non-beading lives with each other.  For that reason, I feel that as long as the primary owner/operator of the shop is a BD member, then they'd be welcome in the BD Friends market.  I'm not all that concerned about limiting our market to beaded items only.

Now what's everyone else think?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 4:32 PM

SEllen, I've got a question for you...  How come you're on the fence about Shop Handmade?  Whatchya thinkin? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 4:49 PM

I'm an "inclusive" kind of a girl myself :) so I have absolutely no problem with a shop that features quilting items, as long as there's a balance with the jewelry items. 

I don't want to say "it has to be at least half jewelry" because items in your store rotate, expire, get sold, etc. The only thing I would say is that some sort of jewelry must have a continuous "presence" in your store ... does that make sense? I simply don't want to confuse customers!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 5:36 PM

I don't have any issues with it either, might even draw in some of those awesome spontaneous sales from others that didn't have jewelry in mind lol

And I just took some time to look at everyones shop for the first time in a few days and I have to say that we've got some gorgeous jewelry! The shops are looking great and I'm blown away by what you guys have listed, I've been telling people to get on and look since Christmas is just around the corner!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,953
SEllen 2 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 6:21 PM

LisaKwaj:

SEllen, I've got a question for you...  How come you're on the fence about Shop Handmade?  Whatchya thinkin? 

Lisa,

It's nothing to do with the site itself but with me.

I'm home bound, have been for...geez....13 years.Sad I live way out in the boonies and would have to depend on others to do the mailing for me. And due to health issues there maybe times that I'm unable to actually be active for a week or two depending on my recovery rate. I'm on a fixed income and need to check to see how having a shop would effect that.

Then...I've said this before I'm a bit of a computer dunce Embarrassedand I'm not sure I could set up the shop and keep it well maintained. There are a few other issues but I think maybe you can get my drift. Wink

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Oct 1, 2010 8:21 PM

I don't have any issues with 'other' items being sold in one of our market stores.  There should be some bead work/jewelry that woud tie your store to the group, but I agree with Kristie, someone looking for something else may find a beaded piece the just have to have!

SEllen - I think you could explain in your policy section that items purchased would be mailed out on Tues/Fri, or something like that.  As for when you can't maintain your store, I was looking to see if they have a 'vacation' mode (like esty does), then you would just have it open when you were available.   Has anyone found something like this for ShopHandmade?

I have added some Halloween earrings to my store today.   Check them out if you have a chance.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 1:11 PM

kareng915:
As for when you can't maintain your store, I was looking to see if they have a 'vacation' mode (like esty does), then you would just have it open when you were available.   Has anyone found something like this for ShopHandmade?

Karen, I stumbled across a Vacation mode today on my inventory page.  Just click the Inventory link, then the Vacation mode link is at the bottom.  Haven't actually tried it yet, but at least it's there.

Your Halloween earrings are so cute!  Your shop is really lookin' gooooooooood, girlfriend! Star

Karen, did I ask you if you'd like me to try adding the text to your banner image with the glow effect?  I'd be happy to, just e-mail the photo to me.  And let me know (1) if you want to keep the Curlz font or change it to something else, (2) what color you'd like the font, and (3) if there's any other text you'd like added.  I ain't no expert, but I'm learning and happy to help!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 11:16 PM

Moira, your new Romanov Bracelet in your Shop Handmade store is absolutely STUNNING!  Star

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 11:28 PM

thanks, Lisa!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 563
kareng915 wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 12:34 AM

Thanks for the info Lisa.  And I agree with you on Moira's bracelet!

Ladies, I think we have a nice group of talented artists in the BD Friends market!  Between the different stores, we have a good variety of items.   There is something for everyone.

Page 6 of 13 (186 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS