Bead Camps / Bead Retreats

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Larry.Linson wrote
on May 23, 2008 6:39 PM

I'm also associated with the computer software community and the current trend there is to community-initiated events... people who are interested in a topic will make their own arrangements, enlist volunteer guest speakers / teachers, find free or inexpensive locations, arrange sponsors to provide refreshments, food, drink, door prizes (and sometimes premises or locations). 

Sometimes these are called "camps" (a takeoff on military "boot camp" or perhaps religious "camp meetings") or "fests", and they typically last a day, sometimes two (I don't know of any that have included room / board, but I don't see why they could not). They typically, but not necessarily, are free to the attendees (that's why "arranging sponsors" is often a major factor).

I'm wondering if interested beaders could do the same, or if they have?  I've seen "Bead Retreats" and some called "Bead Camps" advertised / posted on the Net, but had the impression those were profit-making enterprises.

Larry L.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on May 24, 2008 3:36 AM

Boy, does that sound like a great idea!  I would love to arrange one of those or to attend one!  Especially up here in the Adirondacks - there are beaders all hiding in the woodwork, it would be great to get a bunch of them in one place.

We also have two great local arts organizations with wonderful facilities, one in Plattsburgh and one in Lake Placid.  Boy, you've given me something to think about now!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on May 28, 2008 8:38 AM

On a completely different note, I will be up at Star Lake this summer, would you be able to tell me if there are any bead shops in that area?

thanks

Courtney

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Peg@51 wrote
on May 28, 2008 1:22 PM

I think a Bead Camp/Retreat would be fabulous. It should also include some opportunities to trade beads.

I have several "bead buddies" and we gather at my "Bead Bar" several times a week to bead together and trade goodies. It's great fun and we share ideas.

CourtneyB - a quick google search on bead shops in the town you are going to will let you know what is out there. I travel a lot for work, and I always do a quick search and load up my handheld with addresses, hours, and phone numbers so I can plan on hitting any that are close by. My biggest issue is that most bead shops aren't open after business hours ... and on those trips, work comes 1st.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 112
Radiance@3 wrote
on May 28, 2008 3:26 PM
Hi, Larry! I'm over here in Plano... so if you decide to plan a beading get-together, I'd love to participate! Great idea!
Carol
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 29, 2008 1:58 PM

I think that this is a great idea and would love to go to one. Just for thought, for me, it would be best if it was only one day. Due to work and family I would not be able to go for multiple days. But that one day would be HEAVEN!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on Jun 3, 2008 5:56 PM

Hmmm, Star Lake...  There's really not much down there that I know of.  There is a Michael's in Plattsburgh, but that's about it.  If you're going to be anywhere near the Albany area, there's a place in Burnt Hills called Kuma Beads that is wonderful, and also Saratoga Beads in Saratoga Springs is an excellent shop.  But from Star Lake, there's no easy way to get anywhere that I can think of!  Hehehe...

When will you be at Star Lake?

-Jen Big Smile

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS