Resin focal piece

This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 23, 2008 5:53 PM

I've been beading for over a year now, and while that doesn't seem like a long time to say it, I feel like I've been doing it for years!  Each technique I try leads me to more questions and more techniques I want to try.  My latest venture is working with resin, to create pendants and focal pieces.  This particular piece is NOT going to be listed for sale; I can't bear to part with it!

Resin focal pendant

I started creating focal pieces with the intent of beading them, but this piece I felt spoke for itself, and settled for a simple white suede cord.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way-you are right."  --Henry Ford

www.SquareEffects.com
www.SquareEffects.etsy.com
www.Cafepress.com/SquareEffects

www.icraft.ca/squareeffects

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Loufy5 wrote
on May 23, 2008 6:30 PM

I like this piece.  You are right, The cording is perfect!

Kelly
www.kellymalouf.com
Kelly Malouf Designs
Jewelry, Clothing, Accessories and More!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Victoria@33 wrote
on May 23, 2008 8:45 PM

That is lovely! It looks like lampwork. I love the swirly effect. Is that difficult to achieve?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
CarmenJean wrote
on May 24, 2008 1:56 AM

That's lovely!  I can see why you couldn't bear to part with it. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 24, 2008 6:54 AM

Thank you for the compliments Smile

The swirled effect doesn't seem too difficult to reproduce, but epoxy often has a mind of its own and I've not been able to replicate the look of this pendant as closely as I'd like.  Still, it's fun to try!

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way-you are right."  --Henry Ford

www.SquareEffects.com

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Sharon@357 wrote
on May 24, 2008 8:07 PM

Your focal bead is very pretty. 

Sharon Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Squirrelmade wrote
on May 24, 2008 8:17 PM

LOVE IT!!

Ive been looking into making resin beads for about a year now. I get a little overwhelmed looking at all the different items available, not knowing which ones I would need.  How difficult is it to make beautiful pieces such as this one?

Squirrel

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 25, 2008 6:47 AM

Squirrel, working with resin/epoxy isn't too hard, once you get the hang of using it.  It's very important to keep the work area at least 70 degrees Farenheit, and also low humidity.  Like everything else I've tried and done with jewelry making/beading/etc., it's a learn-as-you-go process.  I do plan on working towards making my own beads but haven't just yet.

www.SquareEffects.com

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Squirrelmade wrote
on May 25, 2008 9:00 AM

At least 70 F and low humidity?!? I am in Florida, perhaps I should look into starting something else!! haha =)

Has anyone else worked with resin/epoxy? If so, has it been a good or bad experience?

Squirrel 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Destiny Lee wrote
on May 25, 2008 12:27 PM

Beautiful piece!  I wouldn't part with it either..

Lorri

Designs of Destiny

Lorri,

Designs of Destiny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 26, 2008 7:38 PM

Thanks.Big Smile

I've been working with the resin this weekend, and still haven't managed to make anything I like nearly as well as this piece.  Of course, now I do have some pieces I can work with to try out bead embellishments.

www.SquareEffects.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on May 28, 2008 11:40 AM

I love resin beads and am taking my first class soon at a bead show. Any tips? We'll be making flat pieces with "stuff" in them. (I have images from Yellow Submarine!) Very cool bead shown here, wow. --Leslie

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 113
Radiance@3 wrote
on May 28, 2008 4:25 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't even heard of doing resin work at home! How much of an investment does it take to try this out?
Carol
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
on May 28, 2008 4:47 PM

I'm still learning to work with the material, so I don't have a ton of tips, but if you use the Easy Cast it self degasses, which means the little bubbles it creates when you're mixing it will pop by themselves, but I still use my hair dryer to help the process along.  I've also used a toothpick to tease out the little bubbles if they don't pop from the heat.  If you do use a hair dryer be careful not to blow the resin out of the cavity.  If you're embedding objects, you should dunk them in resin before you put them in the mold to help cut down on potential bubbles.

As for cost, it's not too bad to just try it out; the small 8oz of two-part Easy Cast casting epoxy at Michaels was maybe $12 or so, and then there's the cost of a mold, which generally are maybe $3-8 depending on what kind you're using.  I bought the mold release & conditioner also,to help extend the life of the mold.  The pigments and dyes aren't too bad, $3ish apiece.  Like all 'generes' though, it's quickly addicting.

www.SquareEffects.com

Not Ranked
Posts 12
DaniA3 wrote
on May 29, 2008 7:00 AM

I don't like doing things that require heat or fire which is why I am never, never ever going to do soldering. I would like to know if there are any web sites I can purchase ready made resin beads.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS