Bead Board

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
lisam830 wrote
on Jul 22, 2010 7:19 PM

I'm  a beginner beader and use a bead board, I am having difficulty with the measurements on it.  I was told if i wanted a 20" necklace I bead up to 10.  But when I'm done its too short, am I reading the board wrong? 

Lisa

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
on Jul 22, 2010 10:05 PM

It could be due to multiple reasons.  You could be reading the board wrong, I suppose.  If you have one of the "U" shaped boards and there is a 0 in the center, you would need to place beads on each side of the 0 up to the 10 inch marking to make a 20" necklace.  There are some boards that measure from one end to the other, so if you have one of those you need to measure a full 20". 

I have another suspicion though - unless you're using beads that are the same size and shape all the way around the board, they're not going to sit hole to hole.  Therefore, you're not going to get a truly accurate measurement on the board.  Rondells are particularly prone to falling on their side and making you think you've used up more space than you actually have.

You might want to think about using the beadboard as a design tool to help hold your main beads in place, but make measurements as you are stringing.  If you figure out your spacer bead pattern, there's no need to put the smaller beads in the board channels. 

Hope this helps!

Please check out my Gallery!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 22, 2010 11:42 PM

The other thing that occurs to me is that if you have a multi-strand bead board the only one that will be "accurate" to that measurement will be the outside channel.  The inside channels will create smaller necklaces if you lay out beads to the same place since it's meant to help you with graduated multi-strand pieces.

What I usually do is lay out my beads on the board as a general guide to see how it will look, then string it and measure it lying straight with a tape measure just to be sure.

As chameleon said, the beads will flop around on the board or have gaps between them so it's more a guide than anything.  I usually assume I'll need at least an extra inch on each side when I'm planning depending on what beads I'm using (ie how close you can sit them together hole to hole).

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 55
on Jul 23, 2010 6:48 PM

Right, Jeni!  I had it in my brain about the different tiers of channels, but apparently my thoughts never made it to the keyboard.  In most of the beginner classes I've taught, there's usually someone who starts out on the smallest channel before I can catch them :)

I hope all these tips help!

Please check out my Gallery!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jul 23, 2010 7:06 PM

The other thing, too, is the thickness of the beads.  They can take away from some of the inside diameter of the necklace and make is shorter.  Did I explain that correctly?  Did it make sense?

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 23, 2010 7:30 PM

Cathy:

The other thing, too, is the thickness of the beads.  They can take away from some of the inside diameter of the necklace and make is shorter.  Did I explain that correctly?  Did it make sense?

Cathy

Yes, that was perfect Cathy!

Good thinking too!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jul 23, 2010 7:41 PM

Thanks, Cat.  It sounded right in my head but I wasn't sure if it came across sounding right.  Big Smile

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Not Ranked
Posts 13
lisam830 wrote
on Jul 23, 2010 8:44 PM

Thanks to everyone with their wonderful tips.  I have a feeling it is the size of the beads and spacers that I'm using and coming up short. 

I love this website and the people on here.

Lisa

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lllorigirl wrote
on May 1, 2013 3:56 PM
I know this reply comes way later but for other beginners looking to this post for advice as i just did, i want to share my thoughts as well. it has especially been a trial and error learning experience when it comes to my measurements being right when I choose to use bead chips. I truly have no clue how I'm going to measure up unless I measure as I go along. Now I don't know if I'm being a bit much, but does anyone else, even though using the same type of chip on each side of the necklace, make sure that each section measures the same and sits similar to the other side? I was told by a great jewelry maker that stones and chips are not made to be perfect so sometimes they won't lay right and that its okay if they don't. However, I cannot handle when my necklace measures 20" but the clasp is not centered. Am I being a bit too anal?
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 544
shanks wrote
on May 2, 2013 11:07 AM

Before putting your clasp on, use a couple of bead stoppers and  hold the necklace up with whatever you want as the center and see if one side is higher than the other. Move some beads from the long side to the short. If is a pattern, then there is probably a mistake or the beads are different size along the way, so when they are across from each other, you see where the problem is.  The bead stoppers are for when one side slips out of your fingers.  Sad

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS