How big is your bead stash?

This post has 109 Replies | 14 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 3:29 PM

I have several small drawers full of beads and jewelry-making supplies. It's getting out of hand, so this month I resolved to use them up faster than I acquire new ones. I wrote a long blog post about blocking creativity by trying too hard to suppress any less-than-spectacular designs, but you can read it here, if you're interested. If not, just ignore it, and please let me know if this is against the rules.

What about you? How big is your bead stash in relation to how many pieces you turn out? Do you buy beads more often than you use them up?

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 4:18 PM

Well, to a certain extent, yes I do buy faster than I use up. Part of that is because I rarely use an entire strand in a single design, often using less than 1/4 of the strand.... so I'll have 3/4 of the strand left over, often of 2 or 3 strands for a single design. It may be years before I end up needing those same stones, or I might end up using them all in a short period of time.  But I personally think there is nothing worse than creating a design, but not having all the supplies on hand. I HATE that, so I like to keep a large stash on hand.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 4:58 PM

First: it is HUGE!

I agree with Lois, that I like to have all supllies on hand, when I start a project and not having to run for missing beads or findings. Due to limited financial sources my bead purchases are more seldom lately, but yes, usually I buy beads faster than I use them. The actual situation brought me to a new creative level, where I use  the beads and supplies I have in my stash.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 5:28 PM

While it can be near impossible to work without certain staples such as beading wire, jumprings etc, having a creative idea but not the money to buy the exact beads in your original design, it CAN be quite the stimulant to creativity to stretch your design skills--by thinking INSIDE the bead box! Your own, that is. (Wow, I sound a bit like magazine copy. Is this disturbing, or a sign I should be looking for a different job?)

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 6:10 PM

Maybe later, when I resolve to clean my desk, I will take a picture of exactly how ridiculous my bead addiction is.

I do buy faster than I use.  But that's because I'm too much like my mom.  She owns every single Cricut Cart except for 3.. having them and using them are too different stories.

I like having the beads.. sometime I don't like using them, because I won't have them anymore.

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 6:42 PM

oh Sydney, you took the words right out of my mouth,

I like to have them, but afraid to use them.....

I have way tooooooo many beads and things, I never know where to startEmbarrassed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 7:33 PM

True it's good creative challange to have to work with what you have... but on the other hand, I had a meeting with a bride today, and was able to get the whole comission taken care of because I had the right shade of red crystals, AND the red pearls to show her. So... it's give and take. I rarley buy beads with a specific use in mind, more I have some general ideas, or know I really like using... faceted nuggets, and also rondelles, but not chips... so when I see good beads that are the kinds of things I really like for really good prices, I buy them. THen when I go to work on things, I realy ONLY use what I already have, with the rare exception of getting a comission for a big piece with special supplies!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 249
beadinstyle wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 7:53 PM

How big is my bead stash ...?? Its shop-size, ROFL!! My DH was thrilled when my private stash moved outta home, to the shop. My stash is now a good size, and for those of you wondering ... yep, I do find that sometimes I STILL don't have what I "need", but my collection has grown to a size that I am able to substitute quite easily, and often improve things with what I do have on hand ...!!! It is possible !!! But in relation to what I turn out .... aaah, huum, eeeks, that might be another story ... ??? Sometimes, they sell faster than I can use them up for myself (no fair), more often if I use them first, they sell faster ... and if I dig them out of the neglected half-price pile and use them in a piece, then they suddenly become very popular even if they've been floundering lost and lonely for months before ... but isn't that the glory of having a stash. anyway? Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 8:56 PM

I don't think I have much actually. I do buy faster than I use but I have a hoarding tendency with my beads for fear I will not get more of the same.

One thing I NEVER have enough of is clasps. I never have the perfect one or I'll run out completely or it's not the right metal type. It seems as if I buy and buy and buy and still don't have much.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 197
on Jul 2, 2010 10:15 PM

I have really, really tried to keep control of my stash. Prior to beading, I was very into quilting. That stash can grow and expand incredibly fast if not careful. So I went into beading trying to "control" my acquisition of supplies. I try to limit my large purchase to once a year at rings-things bead show.Other that this, I mainly let myself purchase from Michael's or artbeads once a month.

This MAKES me use what is in my stash. Which I think has actually expanded what I have created. It makes me look at colors and pairing of focals and beadweaving a bit differently than if I let myself order or purchase all the time.

I love reading other's responses to this question!

Marge

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 1:37 AM

I definitely buy more than I make, and I've actually contemplated adding extra insurance to cover my stash (how sad is THAT?).  I guess I'm a bit like Lois & Cat-I like to have plenty of variety so I have just the right thing when I'm designing.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, but part of my buying is that my tastes run in so many directions that whenever a new technique or material inspires me I'm off to order whatever I need to try it out.  Then it ends up at the bottom of my never-ending to-do list and it may be ages before I get around to it, by which time I may have forgotten what I wanted to do....I'm sure no one else has this problem.Wink

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 11:07 AM

Probably too big! :)  I too, buy faster than I use and yes, I like to have everything for a project. I also have a bit of a hoarding problem -  I have some wonderful beads that I love so much, I like to sit and just look at them or touch them, almost afraid to use them for fear that what I create WITH them won't live up to THEM.  I am trying to use what I have but what I am finding out is that I desperately need to re-organize.  I can forget what I have as I can't see it. I know, I need to take over the basement (HA!) What I wouldn't give to have a few tables to spread out on. That way I can see EVERYTHING! :)  I figure that I have approx 6 more years and then the youngest will be out of the house and THEN I can take over a whole room!  

So, if I can add to this question - how are your beads organized? Shape, color, style?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jul 3, 2010 11:18 AM

I guess I to have to join the buying faster than I use thing ... and like Cat I am hoarding a bit - which I guess can be locigal cause getting beads even if I have the money "in hand" takes 2-3 weeks since I have to order internationally.

But sure I might have "alot" - but I think that is a debateable word ... cause I never have what I need.
You need a "core stach" to like allways have to make things ....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 11:37 AM

Courtney, I know well the feeling of not using beads for fear of using them in a project 'unworthy' of their beauty! I'm really trying hard to break free of that kind of thinking. I can always take what I make apart later.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 12:13 PM

So all the hoarders, say aye!

Aye!

It's funny, how we all have the same things in common.. I'm also at a run with clasps.. I have a case thingie of them, but still, never seem to have the one I really want to use!  I love all the ones I have, they just don't work with what I'm making.

I also like the sense of security that I have those funky beads to offset my otherwise boring designs.  Do you know how hard it is to find vertebrae beads?

Every Friday I pray to the hills that my number will get drawn in the Shipwreck Newsletter.. Once I win that $250, I am stocking up!

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Page 1 of 8 (110 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS