Smocking Pleater Machine

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 2:37 PM

Ok, I'm guessing no one has one of these they're interested in parting with... but I thought I'd check.

I'm looking for a smocking pleater machine. Brand new they're about $200 which I'm hoping to avoid spending if I can. I thought maybe someone might have an old machine that they were willing to trade some fabby beads for or even offer for sale--I'd entertain lots of options to take it off your hands for you! (for me! :D)

I used to smock when I was a kid, my aunt taught me, but she used to send me fabric that she pre-pleated on her machine (which she still uses and she lives half way around the world now). I woke up this morning and had a fabby idea for some jewelry that incorporates smocking! :D Now I just have to find a pleater that won't break my bank! :)

Thanks!

NicoleT

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 589
AnnM@94 wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 4:39 PM

I dont even know what this is Geeked Now I have to go research

"Dream Big"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 6:01 PM

Smocking used to be really popular for little girls dresses... it's pretty foofy. LOL Here's a picture of what smocking embroidery looks like:

to start smocking it's really important to have perfectly pleated fabric, and you CAN hand pleat with an iron on transfter that has dots that you thread, through to create the pleats, but more often than not it ends up rather uneven and you really need roughly 24 rows of baste threads... here's what a smocking machine looks like... pleaters with 32 pre-threaded needles:

You use this handy machine to create the baste threads and pleats, then you can pick up your embroidery needle and stitch away! I just had an idea to do some smock embroidery for some bracelets that would actually be kind of edgy and hip... not little girly, although, smocking is usually used for doll clothes and little girls dresses :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Jun 23, 2010 12:08 PM

This smocked photo takes me back to High School. LOL We did a lot of smocking on our Home Economics class, both in my juniors and seniors years... back then, we just put the dots manually. LOL It was something I enjoyed so much... while my other classmates preferred tatting and sewing. Unfortunately, I didn't chose those (we were given options what to take). LOL

I've never seen nor used a smocking pleater machine but I'll keep my eyes open next time we go at auctions. I would love to try this machine! LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Louweasel wrote
on Jun 23, 2010 12:43 PM

My mum smocks; she made lovely frocks for me when i was a little girl, and now for her grandaughter (my niece). She has made a lot of dresses etc. in her time but she has never used a pleater - indeed, until earlier this year when she saw a lady in a fabric shop use one, she didn't know such a thing existed! She rather covets one but they are expensive here too. Anyway, the point is, over the years she has always got perfectly good pleats without a machine - she uses smocking dots. Now I know it takes longer but you can get just as good results, so I am inclined to say, save those hundreds of dollars to spend on beads! Gadgets are great but this is a hobby and creating things is the way we choose to spend our time, so time is, in effect, free. In a nutshell - are you sure you really need one?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jun 25, 2010 11:38 PM

Nicole, you opened a whole new world of "I want one". Wink. I was amazed when I read your post. I was at a sewing group in Deming,NM and a friend, brings one of  these Pleaters out to show us. the pleating was awesome.  (Of course, she isn't parting with hers for the world) I am now on the hunt for one my self.Smile

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Jun 30, 2010 8:50 AM

Never knew there was a machine to make pleats for smocking. I have always used the dot method and it worked great for me.

It may be a little more time consuming, but works great. Do people still use Irons?????

Have you thought of posting a request on Craig's List. The only problem that I have encountered is that I get a lot of Spam mail that is more than a little irritating.

Happy Hunting and can't wait to see what you are able to create, please post for all to see

Regards,

Janine

Not Ranked
Posts 1
c. Diann wrote
on Jul 30, 2012 5:49 PM

Hi,

I smock as using the dots but find that they show after completing the project (white christening gown) and wondered how to get them out?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Diann (goodoldcotton@hotmail.com)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS