clasps

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 67
jyceL wrote
on Jun 6, 2010 5:53 AM

what is the right size clasp and or toggle clasp to use on a bracelet. Do you all use sterling silver?

thanks, Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jun 6, 2010 8:51 AM

First of all, welcome!

What size to use really depends on what you're making, so it's hard to give an exact answer.  You want the clasp to match proportionately with the size beads you are using, and you also want it to be easy to fasten.  A big, chunky bracelet with a tiny lobster clasp will be a royal pain, but the same bracelet with a toggle ring approx. the same size as the largest beads should work just fine, if that makes sense.

I use all different types metal clasps depending on the project, or sometimes I make my own such as a seed bead toggle or a button/loop closure.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 67
jyceL wrote
on Jun 6, 2010 12:37 PM

thank you for getting back to me............. I would hate to make a bracelet and then have the clasp turn black and unclean-able. Should I buy all sterling so that it can be cleaned?

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 10:07 AM

You can clean other metals as well, but I'd look for proper cleaning technique for both the metals and the beads/stones you're using before you do.  For instance, you wouldn't want to dip most gemstones or crystals in a tarnish remover or an ultrasonic cleaner.

Your best bet for reducing tarnish besides wearing your pieces is to clean them with a soft cloth after wearing, wait to put them on until after any makeup or perfume has dried, and store them properly when not wearing.  I have lots of plated metal jewelry that has looked good for years.

Another trick I use is to run your beading wire through either wire guardians or a soldered closed jumpring before crimping, and then use an open jumpring to attach the clasp.  That way if you need to change the clasp later on you can do so without re-stringing the entire piece.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS