Birthday Swap and Kris Kringle Exchanges Sign-Up

This post has 58 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on May 15, 2010 5:26 PM

I bet I can easily get to 300.. I was thinking about the birthday swap too, like how Christina mentioned, and was wondering about the users who's birthday falls right before the deadline to sign up.. I wonder if you can ask everyone for their birthday month, and maybe see who was born when and then determine the date from there? I already had my birthday (march), but for August and September babies, it's gonna be a loong wait.

Just an idea, but I'm sure we could figure something out! I want to sign up for the the Kris Kringle one too, just to let you know (:

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 15, 2010 10:23 PM

These sound like fun! the KK I would love to do. Sign me up!

I really miss my SSE Swap and the Bracelet swaps. but, I never know where I will be, from one day to the next. Maybe I should have chosen a Helicopter instead of an R V to retire and see the country.Ick!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 16, 2010 5:35 PM

This is a really great idea. Put me down for the KK swap. I am going to opt out for the birthday swap. I am not sure I can remember for that one. But the KK would be fun.

I think that the guidelines are pretty good. I lately have not been posting every day, but I think if someone can pop in and post a couple of days each week, they will get to the guideline. Inca - when you average it out, I think you are fine. I think that we are trying to get people to participate rather than poping in, joining the swap and never hearing from them again.

I think that we should put a price range on it, just to keep it all somewhat fair. I don't want any hurt feelings on anyone's part. I know that I have been a member of swaps where we had a $20 limit, then you get one person that spends $100. Then everyone else feels odd about it. I think a range is good such as $10-$20. I think that a little lower limit is fun since it makes us have to either bargain shop...or get really creative!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 589
AnnM@94 wrote
on May 16, 2010 6:04 PM

These sound like so much fun :) Add me in please

"Dream Big"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 589
AnnM@94 wrote
on May 16, 2010 6:05 PM

Also, I like Sheila's idea for a smaller amount, that makes us think outside the box :)

"Dream Big"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on May 17, 2010 2:55 AM

Are we having the same person for birthday and for Christmas?  I wasn't sure how that would work.  I'm fine doing both, it sounds like fun.  I'm guessing it doesn't have to be finished jewelry that we're sending-it  could be a strand of pretty beads, a book, etc?

I think it would be a bit tough to police how many days a week everyone posts, but # of posts is reasonable.  I think once you've been here awhile it's pretty easy to tell who's a regular contributor, ya know?  Just my 2c.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on May 17, 2010 6:14 AM

Thanks ladies:) Rules were edited this morning.

Sydney, I understand the dillema of the birthday celebrants from summer onwards... I'm thinking, what if we'll use the mailing dates below to shorten the waiting period: EDITED 5/20/2010 - THIS IDEA IS CANCELLED!

January - January 3, 2010

February - January 10, 2010

March - January 17, 2010

April - January 24, 2010

May - February 7, 2010

June - February 14, 2010

July - February 21, 2010

August - February 28, 2010

September - March 7, 2010

October - March 14, 2010

November - March 21, 2010

December - March 28, 2010

Jeni, I was thinking that we'll have different partners for Birthday and Christmas. And yes, books, patterns, beads, etc. are great options.:)

Sheila, I agree about other members sending more than required! In the private embroidery group I'm into, where we do various swaps/exchanges all year round (i.e. bday, KK, color, halloween, valentines, etc.), with a usual spending limit of $25, each member think outside the box. I think I'm one of those members that with very loose preferences... coz I always say "anything goes". LOL Here's thhis year's birthday swap wherein my partner from Germany made me a quilted cover box. She of course sent me various stitching goodies as well like threads, buttons and pattern. And she knows how DH loves chocolates, so she included a box for him. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 17, 2010 11:42 AM

ok! sign me up for Birthdays too! I want to do this too!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on May 17, 2010 12:38 PM

Well, I know you can't please everybody  - but I'd rather receive a birthday gift near my birthday, not several months before.  I'm a November birthday, btw. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 774
yeli wrote
on May 17, 2010 2:33 PM

Lody, if we all start pitching in we might confuse you a lot!! LOL. But then again, you never know when someone's idea might be THE ONE!

But I too would rather receive a birthday swap near my birthday.  I would also forget about it if it is something that takes over 2 months to complete.  So either way count me out on the birthday swaps, but count me in for the KK swap.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on May 20, 2010 8:29 AM

Yeli, that's my thoughts exactly. LOL Having a swap from a public forum is way way way different from "private groups". LOL

Ok, another great idea from one of our wonderful member: by grouping those with similar birthdays in a quarterly method, and swap them so they get something closer to their birthday...

For example, if your birthday is Jan/Feb/Mar, your partner will be from the same months...

Now hoping we'll get participants on all months. LOL But if not, I don't mind having various partners to fill-in other months.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 774
yeli wrote
on May 20, 2010 8:36 AM

Lody,  That might work.  I think that every 3 months you could organize a Birthday swap.

You could start right away with July-Aug-Sept. And see how it goes!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on May 20, 2010 10:32 AM

I too am kinda of with most people...I would rather receive a gift at leas in the same month as my bday than too early or too late and I am an August child.  But I don't know how you are going to organize who gets who for the bdays.  If it is going to be a swap anyway, the person who gets me for example just needs to ensure that I get it by my bday but you do have to have a starting point.  I don't know...just spitting out nonsense...lol...either way, I am in and just let me know what you want me to do.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on May 20, 2010 12:58 PM

Ok ladies, quarterly birthday swap it is. LOL I will finalize the rules of the birthday swap today and round 1 is for celebrants of July/August/September.

If you are in, please email me your birthday (the year is not needed, to keep our ages a secret... LOL), address, and color challenge. Please don't forgt to add a wishlist on your profile.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on May 20, 2010 9:23 PM
Lody, I like the quarterly b-day swap idea...so I am gonna email you. I do have some questions: Wishlist....do I just make a list of beady things that I would like or can it be general non beady stuff like books or magazines or something? And what is the $ limit....and do I make something and send goodies or both?

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Page 2 of 4 (59 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS