JPEg file at 640x480 at 72 dpi

This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Ajewel2 wrote
on May 2, 2010 5:01 PM

Am having trouble fitting my JPEg into these measurments.  Possibly because I have the very first digital camera ever made (it was a gift) the Kodak Easy Share DX7440 with the Kodak Easy Share software.  Anyone else have this camera and software that can clue me as to how I can get this picture down to the exact 640x480 file at 72 dpi? I don't have photoshop, just Easy Share.  I shot the picture at 4.0mp in the camera (as the User's Guide says THAT is the 640 x 480 file size.)  It always comes out larger in the picture information button.  And do I send it as full size or e-mail size. Thanks all. -Laura

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on May 2, 2010 5:38 PM

What programs are you using?

If you've got photoshop, you can go into "image" and "adjustments" and size it and change the DPI in there. If not, I found a great free program that's a lot like photoshop where you can do something similar. Here's the link:

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on May 3, 2010 12:12 AM

It should be 72 dpi as default, so not to worry.  I couldn't get all my pics to exactly that size either, so I got them as close as possible without going over.  When I resized them I chose 640 as the longest side and asked Photoshop to "constrain proportion" so it would keep the short sides to the same ratio.  Of course, that's PS.  I've never used the Easy Share software so not sure how it works.  Does it give you a resize image option?  If so that's what you want to use.

Otherwise, I'd do as Moira suggested and use either the link she gave you or something like Google's Picassa which is also free.

Good luck, I hope you can get it to work!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on May 3, 2010 5:02 AM

I have Photoshop 6 point something, but I USE Paint Shop Pro 6 as my main photo prog. Not because it is better, but it has a lot of the same features and I got used to it when I was part of georgetownsc.net. I did all of the graphics and half of the coding, so it got used a LOT. Pam uses Serif PhotoPlus X2 simply becauseshe is used to it. They all have resizing functions and all work well, it's just a matter of what you are comfortable with.

You can always use PhotoBucket, Flickr, or ImageShack as a host and link to the pics and whomever is resizing them can do what they will with them. I have a free PhotoBucket and ImageShack accounts and Pam has a Flickr pay account. With the freebies, I am limited to 3 GB on one and 5 GB on the other, but Pam's Flickr has unlimited space for like $25.00 a year.

Good luck whatever you do.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 3, 2010 10:12 AM

I only use photoshop, so thats the only program I can give any advice on, but you have to resize your original image to either 640 or 480, whichever is more appropriate for photo. then use the cropping tool to crop to the correct dimensions on the other side.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Ajewel2 wrote
on May 5, 2010 4:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your help on my JPEG file question. In answer to everyone's question: the software

came with my camera, Kodak EasyShare which does not list a resize area menu, just the size of the picture

i.e., 3.5 x5" or 4"x6" and a menu when  you save as: full size, 75%, 50%, 25% or best for e-mail.  It's not at

all like Photo Shop from your description (s) with a image and adjustments menu. So I didn't know which

to pick to get the desired size of 640x480.  But navigating away from my program seems like a better answer,

downloading a program that does the job and importing the picture(s) into that.  Looks like I have to get PhotoShop

for my Mac or something like it for the long run.  Thanks again for the links to the other programs.  On to the work.  

Looking forward to seeing  all  you Bead Stars and your work. 

Laura.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on May 6, 2010 5:01 AM

Just keep in mind that PhotoShop costs several hundred dollars while Paint Shop Pro was only $99.00 when I got it. I have a 'trial' version that I can send to you if you want to try it. Everything works as usual, but you only get to do a certain number of pics beore it stops working. Like I said, it's a trial and can be distributed as much as you like. In fact, to begin with, I kept uninstalling and reinstalling to keep it working until I got up the $100.00 to puurchase it. Just let me know and I'll send it.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on May 6, 2010 6:38 AM

Have you tried doing it in iPhoto?  I'm pretty sure you can constrain your picture size to 640x480 using the crop feature in the "edit" menu. 

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
KathrynL@9 wrote
on May 10, 2010 3:50 PM

I could not get all three numbers set as they wanted.  To get down to the 72 dpi, my other measurements were in the 400s. I hope that is not going to be a problem, because I spent a LONG time getting that dpi number. sigh.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS