Best beads for twisted tubular herringbone

This post has 41 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 27, 2010 12:06 AM

Does this stitch look any better with round seeds vs. delica/tubular beads?  I love the look of it, but have never done it.  I want to try some simple chains.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 27, 2010 12:50 AM

I think it's more a preference for how you want it to look than ease of stitching.  I've only done herringbone with round seed beads so far and they've worked fine.  Herringbone is a pretty forgiving stitch for round seeds I think, unlike peyote where they're a PITA.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Apr 27, 2010 6:08 AM

I'm doing a piece using both right now.  I was just kinda playing around trying to answer that ? to myself, but my daughter liked it. Surprise  I'm putting in a pic so you can see

Not a great pic..... oh well.

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 146
on Apr 27, 2010 11:03 AM

I've done twisted Ndebele with a mix of seeds and Delicas.  It has a really nice effect.  The seeds are 11 but will sit above the Delicas adding depth. Here are images of Xmas present that the family got a few years ago.  I find that the trick with any spiral is to try it.  Make a one or two inch test strip to see if is the affect you want.  The fun of beading is there are no rules, just try it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 27, 2010 11:30 PM

Ooh, I like the mix of seeds and delicas here.  I'd been thinking of making a simple silver chain of tubular herringbone ever since I saw the one on the Ruby's Beadwork website.

In the examples the two of you have posted, what size bead ring did you start with?

I have a little one inch piece that I've worked up in sz 8's on a 6 ring base.  It seemed to take awhile to get that little bit done, but hopefully that's because it's a new stitch for me.  I'm using the instructions for the "Twisted Cable Bracelet" in Getting Started with Seed Beads, which are a little different than the B&B video which I looked at.

The video uses a 4 round ring, and "sews up" through 2 beads to force the twist.  It then steps up through 3 beads at the end of the round, which is of course the 2nd stitch of the round.  From the video I'm not sure if they continue alternating 2 and 3, or just continue with the 3.

The book's instructions uses a 6 round ring, and  "sews up" through 3 beads to force the twist.  It goes through the same number, i.e. 3 beads, each stitch, so you don't have to step up at the end of each round. Looking at the samples shown, I think the book's piece twists more tightly, but I can't tell for sure.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 6:33 AM

I'm using a 4 ring base and alternating a 2/3 step up on every row.  I'm also using 11/0's on the round beads. The tension seems to be the key.  Mine is looseish because my daughter wants me to weave maille between 2 strands for a choker. This is only my 3rd twisted herringbone piece so I can only tell you how I'm doing mine.  It's fun though and goes fast.

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 146
on Apr 28, 2010 10:09 AM

Kippercat

I used six bead base, 3 sets of a 11/0 seed and Delica. Starting with a ladder 2 beads high. For the first round you go down 1 bead and up 2, that means up thru the whole row of 2 beads. Once you get a row 3 beads high you go down 1 bead and up 3 for the rest of the rope.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 2:34 PM

I'm curious - do you think the 2/3 works better for a 4 bead rope, and the 3 each time for a 6 bead rope?  Some day I'll try some both ways on a 4 & 6 bead rope. It will also be interesting to see if it's any easier with 11's than 8's - probably not!

Thank you very much for all the help.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 146
on Apr 28, 2010 4:04 PM

Kippercat

When you say 2/3 do you mean going down 2 beads and up 3 beads?  And isn't  4 bead set awful small or are you using larger beads.  Let me know when you try it.  eperimenting is part of the fun.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on May 1, 2010 10:30 AM

"When you say 2/3 do you mean going down 2 beads and up 3 beads? "

Philonese, yes, that's what I mean.  The B&B example above appears to be a 4 bead rope.  It would certainly be smaller, but perhaps better for people like my sister who wants jewelry with a very delicate look.  Someday I'll try it and find out!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 34
gail@167 wrote
on May 2, 2010 4:37 AM

I love twisted herringbone and have used all sort of beads including seeds, hexes and delicas from sizes 15 - 8.  By using beads of different sizes you can emphasise the twist too. and its fun to embellish, as you alrady have the twist to follow round the rope. Here's a picture of a bracelet I made using size 8 seeds and hexes and then embellished using shells, and fwp

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on May 2, 2010 4:01 PM

Gail, this looks great!  I was about to ask you how well it worked without a clasp, and then I found it. :)

Is this a 4bead strand?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 34
gail@167 wrote
on May 3, 2010 2:02 AM

Hi,  thanks, I really enjoyed making it as it seemed to come together really quickly - you know how some things do?

Yes it's just four beads, but because they are  8s and with the embellishment it doesn't look too skinny.  I thought the biwa made a great toggle and fitted with the embellishments. I made the loop by continuing the herringbone on just two beads eventually joining up with the beads on the other side when it was long enough to go round, although I switched colours halfway so that it would all match up when I joined.  Hope that makes sense?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on May 3, 2010 4:20 PM

Yes, it makes perfect sense.   I think I'll switch to a 4 bead trial for my bracelet with 8's.  I like it better with the embellishments anyway!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 148
CRS3813 wrote
on May 4, 2010 7:42 PM

Oh my that is beautiful!!!!  I am just a beginnner and I am taking a peyote class that is one of the patterns they are going to teach me next week. I am so excited to start it. I have been wanting to do that for a long time. I haven't done any bead work since I was a little girl. Just stringing. I had a loom for a while and I did pretty good with it but I didn't know how to finish it. But I am learning more now. Again your work is just beautiful!!!

Love and God Bless

Cindy

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS