What happened to the Directory? - UPDATE 4-13-10

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 5:03 PM

I have a listing for my store in the Beading Daily Big Bead Book Online Directory. I've had it practically from the day we opened our brick and mortar store (that's nearly 4 years!) and today I went to look up a bead store elsewhere in Arizona and discovered that the 9 PAGES of listings had been reduced to FOUR LISTINGS! And one of those is for a bead SHOW, not a retail store! I know I've had issues with incorrect listings, but if they decided to wipe the slate clean and start over, it would have been nice to get some notice.

I'm frustrated because I went to re-list the store and can't figure out what username and password I need. It's not my BD one, and all of the combinations I normally use for the business don't work, either.

What HAPPENED?? The Beading Daily Directory is one of the online directories I use to help customers find LBS in or near their hometown! I just browsed several other states where I have friends who also own LBS - some of their stores are there and others, there are only 3 or 4 listings and none of them belong to my friends!

WHAT HAPPENED???

Thanks in advance for any information and assistance you can give me.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 7:00 PM

Michigan lost the listings of their stores also. I know a lot of stores had closed their doors since they were listed, however there are still many stores that are in business and their stores have vanished also. I guess I need to call my boss, and tell her she is no longer listed at BD. I am sure you aren't the only owener that is upset with this newest revamp of the BD, that  we had learned to love.  And they say change is good?Super Angry  I used that guide when I went out of my area to look for new and exciting places places to hunt for new beads. Now what can one do?

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 7:44 PM

Sue,

I use this directory heavily from mid-March through early May, as our winter visitors start heading home. Then I get another busy cycle when my local customers go "back East" or "up  North" for the summer. One of the most common things I hear (after "how do you make that loop for earrings?" <LOL>) is, "there aren't any bead stores near me" (or "near where I'm going"). I use this directory and www.guidetobeadwork.com to prove them wrong! <LOL> The die-hard bead addicts have withdrawal if they have to go more than a few days without playing with beads!

I also use the directory when DH Mike and I travel - to find LBS on our route or near our destinations.

Most of the stores in CA, MN, NC and other states have been obliterated, too. It's like the bead world's been hit with a "dirty bomb"! Hasn't anyone at Beading Daily or Interweave ever heard the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

PLEASE - JUST LEAVE STUFF ALONE!! Or, at the very least, send out advance notice AT LEAST A WEEK before you start messing with stuff - preferably with instructions of what to do if something doesn't work right! LBS owners COUNT on these directories. At the very least, it would have been nice to get an e-mail asking if the information in the directory was accurate or if it needed changes!

<sigh>

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Apr 13, 2010 10:05 AM

UPDATE!

Got an e-mail that more or less explained what happened. Supposedly the listings "expired", though I don't recall seeing a time limit or expiration date when I originally posted our listing. If it required an annual renewal, I never got one in the 3 years or so that we had the listing.

I'll get my listing updated and will pass on the info to LBS owners that had theirs "disappear". My comment to the directory PTB - "it would have been nice to get a NOTICE in advance of removing the listing". At the least, it would be COURTESY. Magazines send renewals out a month or two in advance of a subscription expiring. IMHO - magazines are a luxury, but LBS owners depend on directories like BD's!

Thanks all for listening to my rant!

Deb

[Edited to add - SUPPOSEDLY notices were sent out - according to directory PTB. DH Mike is absolutely OBSESSED with keeping things up to date (his e-mail addy is on the account) and he never got a notice of any kind. Also - seems like a very odd coincidence that the listings all expired at the same time!]

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS