New designs & patterns

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 220
on Mar 31, 2010 10:45 PM

What is the best magazine or website to find new designs and patterns for stringing jewelry?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 9:30 AM

I concur-either Stringing or BeadStyle are great for relatively easy strung or wire work patterns.  You should also look through the free projects here and the for sale ones in the Interweave store.  There are lots of good ones there, and you can get projects that were printed in back issues of the magazines that might not be in print any longer.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 9:30 AM

When you say 'stringing' I understand that to be with beading wire, and crimps. And if that is the case I would go with, Stringing, Bead Style or Bead & Button. Bead Work is more for the off loom and loom bead weaver. Which you may want to get into a little later. However some people start out doing the different bead stitches and never do the stringing.  It was a progressive process for myself and many others, for many of us, we start out stringing, go to a little wire work ( to make earrings) to off loom, and wire art.

The very first book I bought was 'Easy Beaded Jewelry' by Sue Wilke it was published in 2004 so I am not sure you can still find it. It was published by kp books, if you care to have it here is the telephone number on the back of the book 888-457-2873

Enjoy the process and stretch you horizons in jewely making. Try it all.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
SoftFlexGirl wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 12:16 PM

I think that Stringing is my favorite in this genre.  My co-worker co-wrote a series of books that are chalk full of great stringing projects.  She is the former editor of Stringing Magazine.  Google - Jamie Hogsett

Sara Hardin 

SoftFlexGirl Blog

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Apr 2, 2010 10:12 AM

I like Stringing MUCH better than Bead style. But it depends on your skill level and of course, your personal taste. Bead Style has step by step photos, so its good for beginners because you can see exactly how to put something together. And their skill level is geared more toward beginners, so their designs are simpler. That being said, I think their designs are typically quite boring and uncreative. Lots of things like a strand of round beads with a simple pendant in the middle. bleh.

Stringing has much more creative and inspiring designs, but no stepped out photos, and more intermediate type projects. (they do have beginner level projects as well.) Sometimes its a little hard to figure out how to do a step just reading the written instructions if you're not familiar with the technique.

The best thing you can do is go someplace like barnes and noble where they have a whole rack full of beading magazines. Look through a bunch of them, and you will get a good idea of what the magazine is like, and which one suits your taste and skill level.

There are several others you might like as well--Bead Unique and Bead Trends are 2 you might want to look at. They are both very different than Stringing.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 220
on Apr 4, 2010 8:04 PM

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations... can't wait to get to a book store to find some great beading books! 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS