Spam Users on BD?

This post has 24 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Mar 9, 2010 9:47 PM

I was browsing the Stalker Bar (as I call it.. I'm a fan of privacy -- not letting people know when I'm online) and there was 4 new users that were pretty much spam.

Nothing to do with beading, jewelry, beads, wire, gemstones,.. much less art.

I'm kind of uncomfortable with this. Has anyone else notice these "users"?

From the Oregon Coast to Tacoma.

etsy :: blog :: flickr

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,215
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 2:13 AM

Yes, I have noticed it and have e-mailed Jeni informing her about it. I was looking to see who was online and noticed them lerking about. They have mulitiple accounts that I have noticed. I am sure that will be taken care of in short order. There was a hi-jacker here a few months ago and they were gone in short order also. I have found that BD doesn't take kindly to this type of activity, so they are 'history'. I will give it a day or two and if I don't hear back from Jeni then I will e-mail Leslie at BD. I wanted to do it in the correct order. You know like the chain of command.Big Smile

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Temperance,Michigan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 2:31 AM

I posted it in the admin reporting forum so hopefully they'll get deleted shortly.  I tried going to the profile page to see if there was some way to report abuse but I didn't see anything.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 1:23 PM

If you see something odd, please feel free to e-mail myself, Jeni, Lina, or Leslie ( Moderators ). Sometimes I can't check e-mails until I get home from the day job, but I do check it at least once, twice a day. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,215
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 5:34 PM

Thanks Jeni, I knew you are several hours ahead of us here in the States, and it was in the wee hours of the morning here, So I figured you would be able to check this out and maybe kick this in the bud before they got too much of a foot hold. I see they are gone now. Wondeer how that made it though the mulitiple accounts screen without being detected? They were real blatant about their advertizing. Glad to see them gone. Hopefully for good.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Temperance,Michigan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 6:06 PM

I noticed them last night but was only 'glancing' at the forums and didn't get to get an e-mail out.  I was going to do it tonight but it's been taken care of.  Thanks!

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 11:13 PM

I haven't seen them lurking tonight, so I think they are gone.

Thank you all for the advice.. I've been reading some creepy things on the internet (including dell computers having keyloggers installed in them) and just want to stay safe (:

(oh, and I have a dell.. might have the hubby take it apart one night)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 2:35 AM

At the risk of sounding as "green" as I feel, I didn't know BD had a Privacy bar??  I would love to hide when I am online.

Thanks, for noting the Un-beading people. it helps all of us.=)

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 6:23 AM

Gyspy Mary:
At the risk of sounding as "green" as I feel, I didn't know BD had a Privacy bar??  I would love to hide when I am online

Me too. I would love this info.

cb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 6:34 AM

I think Sydney just meant she was browsing the users/who is online area.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 10:50 AM

Yes, I was referring to the Online area at the bottom of the forums.

I called it a stalker bar, because anyone can see if you are online or not. This is a bar I am not in favor of, because like I said, I like to let people know myself if I'm online or not.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Mar 11, 2010 5:07 PM

HI--

We try to remove these villains as quickly as possible. Please feel free to let us know when they appear. The Mods are good about removing them or telling me about them. Thanks for being so vigilant!

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Mar 11, 2010 5:15 PM

Anyone can be more private by changing their settings on their profiles.

Once you are logged on, up in the right-hand corner next to where it says "Hello", click your EDIT PROFILE link. Click the tab that says SITE OPTIONS down near your avatar photo. ON the new page that opens, scroll all the way down to "Activity Message Configuration." You can uncheck any of the  options.

Also, right above this log, there is a "Conversation Configuration" to allow or not allow conversations from friends, all users, or none.

Once you;ve finished, be sure to SAVE: go to the very bottom left and click save .

You can always go back and change things again if you change your mind!

Hope this helps.

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 456
lostaloha wrote
on Mar 11, 2010 5:57 PM

Thank you Leslie! It does help alot (:

I'm glad those users are gone.. or at least, I'm pretty sure they are

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 7:17 AM

Ack, we got more! Drug pushers no less now. Sheeesh.....

Billy ;o) 

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS