Please can someone point me in the right direction

This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Michelle B wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 12:16 AM

Hi everyone I have decided to to do beading after seeing all the wonderful things people have made on this site.

Please can you tell what is the best way forward. I would like to start with something easy as I have no idea at the moment.

Also can someone tell me what tools I will need to buy to start off with thanks.

Michelle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
BeadBarn wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 12:29 AM

Hi Michelle and welcome aboard the beading wagon to poverty... They will get you hooked....  Starting point is lots of homework... search the web for tutorials on the basics... Beading Daily's video's and Auntiesbeads.com (more video's) is a good place to start to learn the basics... I assume you are interested in starting with 'stringing'...!!  Listen to the video's & they will tell you what materials & tools you will need.  For basic stringing you will only need a couple of tools.  Another good site is Beadworkabout.com...(Instructions/pictures -no video)  Do you have a local bead store..?  if not I would highly recommend Bellomodo.com..  Auntiesbeads.com and (if necessary) Fusionbeads.com.. all 3 sites offer free shipping & handling.  Be sure to post a picture (in the readers showcase) when you finish your first piece.. 

Happy beading.... Lynn

BeadBarn – Lynn

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Michelle B wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 12:52 AM

Thanks Lynn I wil take a look at these sites now. If this wonderful craft is addictive as cardmaking ( my other hobby ) Then I now I will enjoy.

Michelle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 2:01 AM

Oh, it's that addictive all right!  Good suggestions from Lynn.  If you have an LBS (local bead store) or even a Michael's/Hobby Lobby that teaches beginning beading, it's very worth your while to take a class so you get started with the right techniques and learn a bit about different materials/tools that are out there.  You may also want to sample the variety of beading magazines available, which will give you a good overview of all the different things you can do with beads from simple to insane.  I started with insane and moved backward to simple because I'm a glutton for punishment.Stick out tongue  The magazines will also have TONS of ads for suppliers plus a section on basic techniques used in each project.

Of course, we're always here to help and to feed your addiction, so welcome!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 774
yeli wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 7:52 AM

Hi Michelle,

I would definitively start with a simple stringing project.

Choose a project, and if you would like help on getting started share it with me.  I can help you get started.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 8:11 AM

Hi MIchelle and welcome from Baton Rouge.  This is a great site.  There are so many nice, helpful people.  Saints Flowers recently asked a similar question and some of us gave some good anwers there, as well as the good answers you've gotten here.  Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.beadingdaily.com/forums/p/6406/65084.aspx#65084

Love what you said, Lynn - beading wagon to poverty!!!  DH would have to agree with that.Big Smile  As Jeni said, too, it is addictive.

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 9:26 AM

MIchelle, I'm a cardmaker tooBig Smile and  I'm new to beading, I've only been dabbling in it since November and I'll tell you its addictive, so addictive that my card supplies are gathering dust.....

This is a great site and the people here are wonderful and very helpful.....

have fun

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 10:20 AM

Welcome Michelle, we're glad to have another addict! Here is a list of the items I HAVE To have at all times (and that never seem to get put away)

Round nose pliers
flush cutters
Crimping pliers

Crimp tubes
accuflex 21 strand beading wire in the .014 size
silver plated clasps
silver plated chain
21 guage silver plated headpins and/or wire
silver plated or sterling silver earwires for making earrings
beads

at least one issue of Stringing magazine-- this has the basic stringing techniques in the back of ALL issues, as well as a whole BUNCH of projects to look at and get ideas from. The necklaces have step by step instructions, which makes for a fairly easy way to learn.

Lois

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 7:14 PM

Michelle welcome to the world of beading.  I agree wih Lynn...you will do great and get as addicted as we are.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Michelle B wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 12:54 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome and  for helping me on my way. Michelle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 1:02 PM

Hi Michelle, I just wanted to shout out, Warm Welcome! to the Beading Daily Forum. There is almost always someone online to help you out.

I find the more I learn about "All things Beading", the more I want to learn.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Shauna16 wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 3:24 PM

Welcome Michelle, I'm new to the forum but not new to beading. Everyone here is great and helpful from what I've experienced so far. All the advice I've read for you and myself is right on. I'm am also a twenty year addict, have tried many other things that I love but always come back to this.

Pick a simple project and what ever colors jump out at you at first glance. Enjoy!!!!

Shauna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 650
AndreaM226 wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 3:44 PM

Jean Campbell has a book called "Getting Started Stringing Beads" it has everything you need to know to get started, tools, beads, basic techniques and supplies as well as lots of simple projects.  You can get the book at most hobby stores or online.

Andrea

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 3:59 PM

Welcome to the group Michelle! I'm sure you'll enjoy beading as much as the discussions here. I agree with all the responses...

Lynn, your "beading wagon to poverty" crack me up. That is sooooo true. LOL

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS