polymer clay question

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Feb 22, 2010 10:42 PM

hello, I've googled but don't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I was wondering if you can wrap a gemstone with polymer clay and bake it without damaging the stone?

thank you

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 3:53 AM

I would think yes for the majority of gemstones, though you would need to be aware that heat can change the color of some.  Not sure if the relatively low temps you heat clay to would affect that or not.  I certainly wouldn't try it with a soft stone like amber or opals, but jasper, agate and some others would probably work fine.  I'm sure some other folks can help better with this.  Best idea would be to test a small piece of the stone you want to use and see what happens.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 7:06 AM

thanks Jeni, it would be harder stones I'd want to use, so I might pick some clay up at work tonight and give it a whirl. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Feb 23, 2010 8:29 PM

thank you, I bought some clay today and will give it a try....

I just love this site and how wonderful everyone is with helping others out, thanks again

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Shauna16 wrote
on Mar 2, 2010 3:25 PM

I was curios if you tried this yet??? I just found some of my old clay and it's still good and I am going to be playing soon.Big Smile

Shauna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,328
13tamara wrote
on Mar 2, 2010 8:16 PM

I tired it  at work, but didn't like the outcome.....don't think I'll try it again....so I don't have much information for you......

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Mar 3, 2010 9:57 AM

I am sorry to be a bit late to this question - just saw it.

1 - Since polymer clay cures at 250 - 275 degrees F, and most gemstone material (except pearls and probably opals) can withstand temps in excess of 700 - 1000 degrees F, I don't think you'll have any problems with damaging the structural integrity of the stone.

2 - Some color change is possible - even at the relatively low temps.  Most, if not all, of the colored topaz on the market today has been either chemically or thermically treated to create a particular hue.  For example, "mystic" topaz has been coated with titanium (I think), and London and Swiss blue are heat treated.  FYI - Never clean any colored topaz jewelry in an utrasonic cleaner - you can strip the coating right off, and you'll have a nice, clear stone.

3 - If you are working with metal clay that needs to be fired at temps in excess of 1200 degrees F, then you really need to consider your gemstone material.  Many stones can withstand those temps, but others cannot, and you should check with the materials published by Rio Grande or Cool Tools or Whole Lotta Whimsy to see which stones remain unaltered during a firing.

Hope this helps.

Lita

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS