Experimenting with Kumihimo

This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 711
LitaC2 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 10:21 AM

Andrea - You can definitely find them on-line.  In addition to making my own, I've bought both the round (standard) and square (for flat braid) versions from sellers on eBay and on Etsy.  There are two major producers now, Hakamata - the original manufacturer of the 32 slot foam disc, and now BeadSmith.  I like the BeadSmith version better, even though the discs are virtually identical.

I'm putting together a post on basic kumihimo - lessons learned from a year's experience with the craft.  I'll edit this post with the link when I'm done.

Lita

Please see my projects at Stoneheart Beads

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 10:56 AM

Lita,

I got a disk from my LBS. However it didn't come with any weights or bobbins. Do you find that the bobbins are nessassery? I right now am using sewing machine bobbins, and put them each in a small prastice zip bag. So far it is okay, but since you have been doing the Kumihimo for awhile now, if maybe you have a better suggestion. I am open to any suggestions you may have. And if you recomend the bobbins designed for the Kumihimo, what size would you suggest? I would think maybe the large or jumbo so as to allow for larger beads.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 11:17 AM

Sue, I don't find that bobbins are necessary and I have been doing kumi for years...not unless of course you are using the real thing or just working with thread.  If you are working with beads, like I told Erin in my earier post, the bobbins woul not work for the larger beads.  If you are making a necklace which requires quite a bit of thread, then yes...but not for a bracelet.  But do make sure that you have a weight no less than 2 oz. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 650
AndreaM226 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 6:35 PM

Moira, thanks for the link - I'm not sure I want to make my own, I'm just learning and need all the help I can get.

Lina, thank you for the link, I really appreciate it, I'll check it out tonight.

Lita, thank you for the recommendation, I will definately check out the BeadSmith version and I can't wait for your post on basic kumihimo, I'm sure it will be very helpful.

Thank you ladies, so much, for responding to my plea for help, I really do appreciate it.

Andrea

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Feb 26, 2010 8:11 PM

Hi Moira,

I made my own marudai from foam core board a couple of years ago. I wanted a stand so used some balsa wood for the legs with more foam core board as the base.  Works just fine.  I now have a wooden marudai made by a friendly woodworker.

Sandy

Sandy

Down Under

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 146
on Feb 27, 2010 12:40 PM

I have found a site that has a variety of C-Lon threads in three weights, standard, thin, heavy.  The thin which is called C-Lon Micro Cord thin works well with size 11/0 seed beads.  She has a large selection of colors and the spool is a large spool of thread at $4.50.  The site is marion@jewelsinfiber.com  Affter I learned Kumihimo I got carried away and made quite a few pieces experiementing with different combinations. Here's a couple of things I learned and how I handle them.

1. Where you place the colors determines how your pattern looks on the braid.  I have a composition book that I keep track of my patterns in. I put the disk on my copier and reduced it a little and made several copies of this reduced disk.  I paste or tape the copy in the composition book and actually mark on the disk where I placed each color.  I also note the length of thread I use and the length of beads I string on and the finished length. Then I take a photo of the finished piece and tape it on the page.  That way if I want to repeat that pattern I have a record of how I did it.

2. Another thing I have found is that you can drop more then one bead to get different affects.  The blue and white neckllace below used size 8/0 and size 11/0 beads,  Because of the difference in the size of beads if you drop one bead of each you will have a gap in your necklace showing thread thru.  I dropped one 8/0, the blue and 2 11/0, the white bead.

3. You can also drop more beads for a different affect, but whyen doing this you have to continually take your fingers under the disk and push or pull the beads down.  An example of this looks is the amber bracelet where i dropped 5 beads at a time.

4.  You can also combine yarn or ribbone with beads.  The first time I tried this the ribbon over powered the beads when I had 4 strands of beads and 4 strands of yarn.  I went back and added four more strands of beads.  I didn't know that this is not a normal count of strands that it should be 8 strasnds, 16 strands or 24.  I had 12.  But it worked and I like the look.  That is the red and black necklace.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 7:43 PM

Heres a little trick I have when using the 8 strand for kumi...if you are going to use some bigger beads other than seed beads that you buy on strands...put all the strands together and twist it...this is what your finished bracelet will look like. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 27, 2010 10:07 PM

I really lovethe Kumi look. The Pearls with wire are just Simple and Elegant and Beautiuful!

I have my Kumi foam disk, it is next on my list of "New Stitches " to learn.

What gauge of wire did you use?(if i may ask?)

Yes

Thanks to all of you who shared your wisdom on the Kumi. I have been printing out the suggestions. Smile

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 10:47 AM

gypsy marie ... for that I just used a cheap, fine beading wire ... i think it was 3 strands.

Anyway, yesterday's mail brought both my bead order and this month's Bead and Button, so I'm going to make something cool and glittery and wired!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Mar 13, 2010 10:11 AM

Philonese Simmons:

4.  You can also combine yarn or ribbone with beads.  The first time I tried this the ribbon over powered the beads when I had 4 strands of beads and 4 strands of yarn.  I went back and added four more strands of beads.  I didn't know that this is not a normal count of strands that it should be 8 strasnds, 16 strands or 24.  I had 12.  But it worked and I like the look.  That is the red and black necklace.

The original Kumihimo did not use beads.  That was a successful experiment.  As you discovered, using 12 strands worked [was a successful experiment].  In our addiction / vice, experimentation is the way to discovery.  Try it; if you like it, do it as often as you want. {{Note for those whose minds wander to the less than clean, I am referring only to our bead and bead related activities.}}

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 2:31 PM

I told you guys from the get go that you would get addicted to Kumi and the possibilities are endless. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 9:57 PM

I am still planning to try Kumi, Thanks, for all the post on Kumi. Sooner or later, I have to find time to try it.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS