Charlottes??

This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 1:15 PM

Hi there -

I know there's alot of really talented bead stitchers in these forums ( b/c I've seen your pics in Reader's Showcase!)  so I thought I'd clarify this.....I found a pattern for a beautiful peyote & square stitched bracelet and it's calling for 13/0 charlottes.  As far as I can tell by the picture, they are used as sort of a trim on each end of the rows of peyote that are made with 11/0 cylinder beads (if that mental picture makes any sense!). 

Is anyone familiar with these?  Is it just the size that gives them the special name -- or does it have something to do with their shape, as well?  I'm wondering if I can just creatively substitute 15/0?  Devil

Usually, the first time I'm trying a new pattern - I try to stick to the materials it calls for.  I've heard the word charlottes before, but don't think I've seen them used in a pattern before this.  Your input would be really appreciated.  Thanks! 

~ Tess ~

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 1:33 PM

Tess, you can definately substitute the 15/0 for the charlottes in the pattern!  Charlottes are actually a small seed bead that has 1 flat side to the bead - what this does is cause there to be alot more glimmer and shimmer.  They are typically smaller than regular seed beads - size 15 can be easily substituted esp for picot-work like you are describing!  Hope that helps!

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Louweasel wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 2:23 PM

Yes, I'd use 15s. I find size 13 charlottes harder to get and not in as many colours, plus you seem to have to buy a lot more (a whole hank rather than say 10g). I have bought size 13 charlottes once but i'd normally subsitute 15s now unless I was buying other items from one of thetwo UK shops I found the charlottes in, and i didn't have any suitable 15s already.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 4:58 PM

Tess,

Charlottes, are also called "true cut" or "one cut". They are round seed beads, not cylinder beads like Delicas. The cut is made after the beads are formed, leaving one side flat, resembling a flat tire! The flash of the cut side gives an extra sparkle to a finished piece. Because this is a second step or additional process, charlottes or "true cut" beads are more expensive than their uncut counterparts.

Off the top of my head, I think that 13/0 "one cuts" are the true charlotte. The other sizes are called "charlottes" for convenience or simplicity. So, to answer your question, it IS the size that determines the proper use of the name "charlotte", though the same cut can be found in just about every size.

One of my customers used charlottes on a beaded bezel/embroidery piece and fell in love with the result and now has a hard time using the plain seed beads. Sandy (aka Buff) likes to use the charlottes in her kumihimo braids to add a little flash in unexpected places.

You could probably use 15/0 charlottes, but the size of the trim will be a little smaller and you might have to adjust the number of beads you use to get the same appearance.

I carry charlotte (or 1-cut) beads in Czech seed beads in sizes 8/0, 11/0, 13/0 and in 15/0 Tohos. Charlottes are also called charlotta cut. If you are using Japanese seed beads, you should be able to find charlottes in 13/0. A difference between the 15/0 is that they are Japanese seed beads and are sold in 10 gram or smaller tubes, where the Czech beads are traditionally sold by the hank. In my store they are sold in 41.6 gram packages - which comes out to about 1 1/2 hanks.

Contact me off the list if you want further information.

Hope this helped explain charlottes to you.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Feb 18, 2010 5:57 AM

Well said Deb.  I love charlottes, they have a really special look to them that's hard to describe.  Faceted seed beads!

Pam

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Feb 18, 2010 11:05 AM

Wow!  Thanks ladies for all the great info!  That's one of the many reasons I love these forums -- so many great minds to help with questions and make suggestions.  Now I'm not so sure I want to substitute -- ANYTHING that makes a piece more sparkly is right up my alley!  Big Smile

We do have a bead shop here that has a terrific seed area.  I called this morning and they do have some charlottes, so I think I will try to get over there to see what they've got in the way of colors.  Deb, if I don't find something, I'll contact you via e-mail to see what you have.

Thanks again for all of the helpful info!

~ Tess ~

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Feb 20, 2010 6:40 AM

Quick Update -- I had a chance to visit the bead shop I mentioned earlier and sure enough, they did have the charlottes!  And lucky me...they had a bunch on a sale table that I grabbed while I was there (I'm such a sucker for sparkly bargains!!)  You ladies were spot on with your descriptions of the flat tire.  I've started the bracelet and I can already see the difference in using them vs. a round seed bead.  Just wanted to say thanks again for your help.  Big Smile

~ Tess ~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 20, 2010 7:19 AM

I love the look of charlottes.  I don't have very many and they're one of the things I tend to hoard. 

Glad you found some (especially on sale), and show us what you make when it's done. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 7:47 AM

Finished it!!  Just posted in the Readers' Showcase -- be gentle, it's my first posting there.  Kidding - I know the honest feedback is important.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 8:23 AM

Hi Tess, I agree, you can use the 15s in place of he charlottes but if you really wan the charlottes...here is a good site that sells then...

http://www.beadworks.com/Charlottes-C739.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RachealO wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 12:54 PM

I am wanting to try Laura McCabe's desigh in this months beadandbutton, but am unable to find size 15/0 charlottes anywhere.  Can I substitute a galvanized 15/0 seed bead or any regular 15/0 seed bead?  Do you guys know where i can buy charlottes if a regular seed bead won't work?

Thanks so much!

Racheal

www.najite.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 3:27 PM

RachealO:

I am wanting to try Laura McCabe's desigh in this months beadandbutton, but am unable to find size 15/0 charlottes anywhere.  Can I substitute a galvanized 15/0 seed bead or any regular 15/0 seed bead?  Do you guys know where i can buy charlottes if a regular seed bead won't work?

Thanks so much!

Racheal

www.najite.com

I've taken classes from Lara, and I've done a lot of bezling. My experience? You can use plain old 15's instead of charlottes. In fact, I kind of make a judgment call when I get to that last row in the bezel. Somtimes I'll put the charlottes in, other times I'll omit the row completely, or sometimes I'll throw in a row of regular 15's. This is one of those things you can truly wing-it with. Often, I find I don't like the look of the 1-cut charlottes in a bezel, sometimes they come out looking off-kilter.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Oct 5, 2010 10:10 AM

RachealO:

Thanks so much!

Racheal

www.najite.com

Racheal,

Since you asked, I carry some Toho 15/0 Charlottes in my store - depending on what color(s) you want. We're getting ready to order Delicas and Tohos, so I might be able to sneak in an extra color or two if I don't have what you need.

We don't sell from our website and I'm not allowed to advertise here on the forums, so please send me an e-mail offlist. I'll do what I can to help you find what you need.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RachealO wrote
on Oct 5, 2010 10:31 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!  I have spent the last 3 days trying to find size 15/o charlottes in gold and driving myself nuts in the process.  On a postive note, I have discovered about 100 new places to buy seed beads online Big Smile.

I will try it with regular 15/o and see how I do.  Wish me luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RachealO wrote
on Oct 5, 2010 10:33 AM

Deb,

That would be awesome!  I would like to get my hands on the charlottes so I can see what they look like in person.  Is your email on your store website?  If not, can you send me a note and I will reply back with the colors I want.

Thanks a million for your help!

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS