Two very cheap ideas for a light box!!!

This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 8:43 PM

Well I've been wanting a light box for a while now but haven't had the funds to buy one. So I was thinking of things to use to make one instead. 

Well I did find stuff to make my own but the costs would come out to about the same as getting one on Ebay. 

My mom was going to buy the stuff to make one for doing her taxes for her but after I told her that we got on the phone with my uncle who is a photographer to find a photo shop in town. 

He immediately came up with a pop up hamper!!! Which if you can find the smaller ones it would be great and less than $10 usually. 

We strolled in Walmart looking for one and the only size they had at my local Walmart was too big for a light box for me but I kept thinking I knew there was something I was missing. Something I've had before that would work great but I couldn't quite remember what it is. 

Then as we were heading to the checkouts, I passed it. One of those storage bins. They are made with a metal frame and mesh/canvas type material is wrapped around the frame and secured with Velcro. PERFECT!!! And only $8!

The ones they had sitting there were white too. I've been using mine since I got it and I love it. I just love a good purchase! 

So hopefully this helps someone- either the pop up laundry hamper or the storage bins. Just thought I would share :)

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 9:24 PM

Cat...awesome options!  Can you show us what it looks like and how you use it?  Pics?

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 9:29 PM

Thanks, Cat. I to want a light box.  I wonder, for us "visual folks" , could you post a photo of your new light box??

I need all the help I can get to assist my photos of the jewlery.

Thanks for Sharing!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 9:39 PM

Ladies I'll post a pic tomorrow sometime so you can see exactly what I'm talking about! I was so excited to find something that worked for so little money. I don't think you could make it for $8! 

I would look for an online link but I doubt they have them online. I'll check that first though!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 9:55 PM

Ok, I found a few online that nearly indentical with a few differences

4 Pack Bins, Purple

The ones they used to sell used to be more like this, material wise but they had them in white and those big grommet holes on the end weren't there. 

Canopy Small Storage Bin, Fresh Ivory/Straw

This cream colored one is more like what I got, except it's white, the handles are basically like tab strips sewn on, not an open handle. The fabric is like a canvas type but it still works to filter the light. The one I have is a metal frame basically (you can't tell unless you take it apart cause the fabric completely wraps around it.) I was worried that the canvas fabric wouldn't allow enough light in but I figured it wasn't anything a couple yards of nylon couldn't fix. Which in the end I don't have to cause it does work. Also the fabric is wrapped around the frame, looks much like this one, but it velcros onto itself on the inside of the bin so it can be removed to be washed. 

And this is the pop up hamper I was talking about.

Redmon The Original Bongo Bag Pop Up Hamper in Navy

Yes this is blue but they do sell them in white and also sell them in smaller square shapes. These are collapsible. 

I'll still take a pic tomorrow and load it for you though.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 10:33 PM

Thanks,Cat. I was searching thru some older Post and found (?) a light box made with a Rubbermail file box with a lid. This makes it clear, why my Pictures are so bad. (I need a tripod and a light box.=)

Thanks for the Photos too!

Gyspy Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 10:44 PM

yeah the light box really helps with the glare from the light and reflection. I can even use it with my sun lamp and it works well. 

So glad I finally have something! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Feb 14, 2010 1:11 AM

My photographer cousin sent me this link, before I broke down and got a real light box;

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

I think it's the best of all the makeshift ones I've seen.

I found my small light box, complete with 2 full spectrum lights and tripod, on ebay for $20. You don't have to spend a whole lot of money to get one!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 14, 2010 1:24 AM

Nice idea Cat!  Next time I'm out shopping I'll have to look for one of those.  Surely the Italians use things like that since many live in small apartments.  It would most surely take up less space than the cardboard box with tracing paper over it that I'm currently using (a la the tutorial that Mystic posted).  It works just fine, but it's fragile and bulky.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Feb 14, 2010 4:02 AM

I've had my eyes open for just such a thing for awhile now Cat but mostly what I see are bright colors like red or orange or green...no white.  Good find! 

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 11:47 AM

Heres another great idea for a light box replacement. I found a folding cat house at a garage sale. You know the type don't you? You twist it a certain way and it folds. Well with a few changes I had a fairly cheap light box. I cut the dangling stings ( for the cat to play with) and covered the hole on the opposite side of the house. Stuck the camera in the front opening. Zamb, light box!!!! And CHEAP!!!  Paid something like 50 cents for the house and a couple of bucks for the fabric to cover one opening.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 8:51 PM

Thanks, Sue. I bet one of those $1. folding clothes hampers at Dollar Tree could be converted to a light box.  I have to find out this week. My Photo's need all the help they can get. It would be great for the RV-ing too.

They don't work for clothes, or toys. so maybe a Light box. Yeah!

Gyspy Mary

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Mar 5, 2010 3:58 PM

I found this site that uses a cardboard box:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

Edited to add another site using one of those cheap plastic storage boxes:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/07/diy_light_box.html

There are some editing tips here too:

http://www.new-bel.com/FreeTutorials.html

http://diananormandesigns.com/tutorials/editphotosfortheweb.htm

Sandy

Down Under

Sandy

Down Under

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
rbinoya wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 12:51 PM

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for sharing these ideas! I have found that my photos are inconsistent in quality... I will have to try this soon. It will move up to the top of my to-do list... right after "Organize workspace" Stick out tongue

Thanks, everyone!
~Rose

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS