Fireline Questrions Please Help

This post has 41 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Feb 11, 2010 8:53 PM

I have never tried it, mostly because it is expensive. But i had other issues.

1. how doi you finish the ends. Can you crimp it, do you have to burn it.. What? Can I tie it off inside a bead tip easily?

2. Is it really taht stong. Does it still have a nice drape for RAW. Or is it stiff.

3 Is there anywhere it is cheapest

Rainbow

www.rainboiwsbeads.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Feb 11, 2010 9:27 PM

hey--I like WildFire from Beadalon. It ties GREAT knots, I never use a thread burner, ever. Any braided or bonded thread is a bit hard to cut but i have a pair of wire snips I like for that, use Fiskars scissors. Also, if you prefer FireLine, look into buying larger spools from a sporting goods outlet that sells fishing line.

PS--when you have something to sell, like your purses, please do so in the Bead Barter section of the forums. And we discourage outright sales, though in your sad case I'll let this one slide. Sorry, but we can't become an Etsy. And really sorry about your heartaches. Healing energy to all of you.

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 11, 2010 9:46 PM

I love Fireline and I buy it at my local Wal-mart in the fishing department or from the local sporting goods store. I get a 300 yard spool for $29.99 from the sporting goods store. If you get it from a beading store the only difference is the size of spool (smaller) and because it says 'BeadSmith' it costs more. I think the 'BeadSmith spool is 50 yards for around $11 or $12 dollars. At Wal-mart a 125 yard spool will cost about $15.00 dollars. So the 300 yard spool is the best bargain out there for Fireline.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 549
CryssT wrote
on Feb 12, 2010 3:14 PM

i use Fireline and love it - BUT - you have to be careful what the pound rating is on it.

i mostly use 6# test line - the higher the pound the stiffer it will be.

to little and it might break. i have done numerous bracelets with it and they do just fine.

i use a thread burner and it's fun and handy.

you can get it in Crystal and it's great.

hope this helps you.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 146
on Feb 12, 2010 3:45 PM

I love Fireline and I use 6lb which is strong enough and still draps.  Wal Mart sells the smoke 125yd roll for 14.99, I have never found the crystal at any of the Wal Marts near me, (Chicago suburbs).  ***'s Sporting Goods sells the 125yd roll for $17.99 and they sell the Crystal as well as the smoke in various weights. .  Via online ordering Shipwreck Beads sells the 125yd roll for $19.95 for one, $38.45 for two and $55.50 for three of the 6lb.  IF you order a $10.00 catalog from Shipwreck they give you a $15.00 discount on your first order. Shipwreck also sells the Wildfire which is the newer version that the beading companies have put out, which is suppose to tangle less.  To eliminate the tangling pull your Fireline thru a sheet of fabric softner.  For the smoke this also takes off that black coating that gets on your hands sometimes.  Any time it starts to tangle pull it thru again. I have never seen a 300yd roll.  Next time I go to ***'s I will have to look for it.  Watch ***'s ads sometimes the Fireline company will have a rebate.  The last one they had was for two rolls costing at leat $10.00 purchased between Jan 2009 and Sept 2009 you got a $8.00 rebate and each person could get two rebates , which is more then the usual one rebate per household.   You don't have to wax it, you don't have to pre-stretch it and when you have to take a piece apart you can pull the entire piece apart preserving the fireline and reuse it, no shredding.  Can't do that with Nymo.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 12, 2010 8:08 PM

Philonese Simmons:
 ***'s Sporting Goods sells the 125yd roll for $17.99 and they sell the Crystal as well as the smoke in various weights.

LOL I think we both go to the same sporting goods chain store. Whenever I type ***'s it shows up the same as yours. The store I go to starts with a D and is a short name for Richard.

Yes, they have the 300 yard spools or at least they do at the one I shop at. Look on the bottom row of fishing line. That is where I found mine. You can also get it at Bass Pro and Cabela's. I even got some hot pink at Cabela's. They also have the lime green, but I didn't  buy any of that one. I have only used the pink once, so it really is a waste of money as far as I am concerned.

Now I don't know where I read this, but if you use the crystal and it shows on your design, you can get a permament sharpie in a color close to the color of your beads and color your crystal Fireline. I know this works because I was teaching my sister a bracelet design, and she was using a peach crystal and the crytal Fireline really showed badly. We went to an art supply store and bought a sharpie in a  peach color. Took it home and  put the Fireline down on top of the a paper towel with the marker on top and pulled the Fireline though the felt tip. It was that easy to color the line. Am\nd the finished design looked much better with matching Fireline.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
MaryC@192 wrote
on Feb 12, 2010 9:00 PM

If you aren't close to a sporting goods store that carries fishing supplies, go on E-Bay.   You can buy it there and get some good deals.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 4:16 AM

You can buy it direct from Berkeley's website too.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 252
kathi@46 wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 6:33 AM

I have read before somewhere that The Berkley labelled fireline is marketed specifically or beadwork and is slightly different to that sold in sporting shops. Is that true, I'd be interested to know. I have used both 6lb and 4lb test and have really liked it up until recently when I have had a couple of breakages. Personnally I think in my case it could have been where I have knotted it too tightly and it has cut itself. Now I just weave in circles of 8. While I still use Fireline I am increasingly liking Wildfire as Leslie mentioned earlier. Its is similar but I think it has a more 'thread' like feel.

Kathi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 7:30 AM

Kathi, all Fireline is exactly the same regardless of how it's marketed.  SueB contacted Berkeley and asked them, and that's what they told her.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 252
kathi@46 wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 8:33 AM

Thanks for answering that Jeni. So obviously that means the fishing shops are much cheaper. Good to know.

Kathi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
bellepate wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 10:47 AM

Wow...just went to Berkley...600 yds of Fireline for less than $90 (and that includes shipping)...thanks so much for the info.  I feel like I've just discovered El Dorado!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 2:35 PM

I would LOVE to carry the larger spools of Fireline. But, LBS can't buy it for less than Wal-Mart's (or Cabela's, Bass Pro, or D--k's) price. MY best price from most suppliers is the same price that Wal-Mart charges at retail. <sigh>  I already hear complaints about the price of the small spools (which are priced at a little under $10). I'm not about to carry something that they can get at Wally World for half my price. The only reason I carry Fireline at all is because beaders expect an LBS to have it.

Like Leslie, I prefer Wildfire. I don't do a lot of seed beads, but Wildfire seems to be less frustrating for me than Fireline. OTOH, Sandy refuses to use Wildfire instead of Fireline in her kumihimo classes.

And, yes - it doesn't matter where you buy it or what the label says (BeadSmith, etc.). Fireline is Fireline!

Maybe the breakage issue comes from its fishing line heritage. I can't remember what exactly, but somewhere I read that fishing line is supposed to "decompose" after a certain time in the sunlight, to protect wildlife that might get tangled in an old snarl of fishing line. Maybe it's just an urban legend - I don't know. I *do* know that nylon fishing line (the clear monofil kind that Wal-Mart sells for a couple of bucks) will dry out and break. I'm still restringing beads where the temporary nylon strand has dried out, split and broken. Not a pretty sight!

Hope this helps a little.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Beader68 wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 5:59 PM

I really like fireline and think it is worth the money. I usually knot it into a bead tip and then glue the knot also before closing the bead tip. I like the sharpie coloring idea. I'm going to have to try that. INM Crystal has 4lb. 50 Yards for $7.32 and right now, they have a 20% coupon (BEADS310).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 13, 2010 9:50 PM

How much are they charging for shipping? I can buy 600 yards at my local sporting goods store and only pay $60.00 that would mean that the shipping would be $30.00. Where do you live I would ship you 600 yards for far less than $30.00. I could send it to you, states side for a cost of a medium flat rate box, which I think is about $10,00 if it won't fit in the small flat rate box which is just undert $5.00 to ship.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS