Hand pain from beading

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 170
carolee1945 wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 5:24 PM

I have not seen this topic mentioned in too many places.  I love, love, love to bead.  But after doing a very stupid thing, I was home sick, and I beaded all day lying in bed in the worst possible ergonomic position, I injured my hand to the point where I could not use it.  I had to use my left hand for EVERYTHING for about 2 months. This was ten years ago.  Ever since, I have to be so careful not to overbead. Recently I went for a manicure, at the end they usually give you a nice hand massage. For some reason the manicurist (a new person) pulled on my fingers to the point where they cracked, like popping your knuckles. I guess this is her style with all her clients. It all happened so fast, I could not yell no. Now my hand is out of commission again.  I have read up on tendonitis and I guess that is what this is.  I am just wondering what other people do, and how is it some people seem to do so much beading without getting hand pain.  I don't understand it.

I really love beading and so  I have been trying to use my left hand. Wow, is that hard. Has anyone else ever tried to use their non dominant hand?

Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 5:50 PM

Carol, I personally don't know the answer to your question - I have not really ever had trouble with hand pain caused by beading...but I would definitely suggest going to your doctor about it...maybe there is some underlying condition that is causing this to happen!  I do wonder, however, how you might be holding your beadwork - could it possibly be caused by some sort of awkward way that you are beading?  MMmmm...I would suggest some things but they are better explained in person.  You might try going to a good little lbs (little bead store/ local bead store) and ask them about your problem...maybe get some insights on how they bead or suggestions on how you can improve your "beading posture".  Just some thoughts...sorry I couldn't help much more...

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 6:14 PM

Carol ~ It is too bad that your hand is acting up again & like Kelly said you should probably go see a doctor about it.  I am a rightie but have been told that I bead like a leftie... not sure why I do  it that way but it seems to work for me.  My daughter beads like the rightie she is.  Maybe we both learned by mirroring (someone taught me & I taught her) but then again I haven't learned how to do beadweaving yet so maybe I'll go back to being a rightie.

Good Luck & I hope you get some relief from your pain. 

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 7:50 PM

I work with pliers most of the day....... my gb's call me "memoo plier hands".  I do these exercises religiously, because I have very bad arthritis in my hands.  Since I've ventured back into seeds they are still helping.  I think I posted this before?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/arthritis/AR00030&slide=1

Maybe it will help you to?   Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 5, 2010 2:57 AM

Here's another thread from awhile back that addressed this too:

http://www.beadingdaily.com/forums/t/966.aspx

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS