Justine Bracelet Tutorial

This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 1:56 PM

Made with a dear aunt in mind, these bracelets are a fun project to do with memory wire, and they don’t look like your typical memory wire project. Coiling the memory wire for the ends is not easy, but it’s worth it … it tightens up any slack left in the wire, and creates a fun, decorative ending for the bracelet that doesn’t fall off or lacerate your wrists.

Supplies:

· 5 loops of memory wire, about 1 1/2” longer than the circumference of your wrist

· Size 11*  seed beads

· 6mm round beads

· 18” of 20g German silver or Sterling Silver round wire

Tools:

· Round nose or rosary pliers

· Masking tape

Skills

· Ability to make tight spirals

· Ability to wrap wire

Tape the 5 coils of wire together at one end, using the masking tape. Make sure you have a good 3/4” covered by the tape

2) On the first strand of memory wire, add beads in the following order:

Wire 1) 25 seed beads and a 6mm, 20 seed beads and a 6mm, 20 seed beads and 6mm, 20 seed beads and a 6mm, 20 seed beads and a 6mm, and 5 seed beads. Place a small piece of masking tape at the end of the wire (Figure B)

Wire 2) 20 seed beads and a 6mm …. 10 seed beads at the end.

Wire 3) 15 seed beads and a 6mm, 20 seed beads and a 6mm …. 15 seed beads at the end.

Wire 4) 10 seed beads and a 6mm, 20 seed beads and a 6mm… 20 seed beads at the end.

Wire 5) 5 seed beads and a 6mm, 20 seed beads and a 6mm …. 25 seed beads at the end.

Remove the masking tape from the beginning of the bracelet, and wrap the 20g wire around the bundle of memory wire at least 3 times. Make sure there’s about 1/2” tail of each strand of memory wire sticking through the wrap. Coil each wire end, one by one, and fold them down over the wire wrap. I warn you, this is easier said than done!!

Wrap the 20g wire loosely around the bundle of beaded memory wire, all the way to the end. 

Make a single tight wrap around the bundle of memory wire right where the seed beads end.

Remove the tape from the ends of the memory wire, and continue wrapping the 20g wire around the  bundle tightly until you have 3 or 4 good wraps. Repeat the coiling from step 3.

I simply could not managed to snap a picture of myself making a coil. The wire is too hard to work with, and I was only born with 2 hands, so I'm afraid you'll have to struggle through that part without pictures. Even if all you can manage is a single simple loop, though, that's fine ... you'll still get that flower effect because there will be 5 of those loops overlapping each other at the end.

If any of you try this, I'd love to see how your versions came out!!! Feel free to play with this idea, I'd love to see what you all bring to it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 3:06 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your design with us.  I am definitely going to have to try thisWink

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,877
MelindaB@14 wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 3:07 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your design with us.  I am definitely going to have to try thisWink

Sorry for the double entry but I did save your instructions... thank you againCool

MelindaB ~ Juneau, Alaska USA

When you dream ... what are you wearing?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about Learning to Dance in the rain!

Authors UNKNOWNEmbarrassed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 3:08 PM

Thanks so much for this!!!! I plan to find time for this, this weekend!!! 

Hopefully I can spiral those ends!!!!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 3:49 PM

Thank you so much for sharing...can't wait to try it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 5:03 PM

Thanks heaps for your generosity Moira! Wish I have the proper materials right now to give your tutorial a try tonight. LOL

We don't have any craftstore in our area.:( I hope I can get some supplies of this project at Walmart? LOL I really need to stack-up on wires.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 5:17 PM

I'm sure they'd have most of what you'd need available ... if not, improvise. If you need a different gauge of wire for the wrapping, you'll get a different look, but there's no reason it shouldn't work! I'd be surprised if they didn't have memory wire there also.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 49
Heidi. wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 5:18 PM

Thank  you for posting this Moira!  It really gives me a different way of thinking about memory wire! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 5, 2010 3:05 AM

That was so nice of you to share Moira!  I will definitely have to try this out.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 5, 2010 4:06 PM

A Million Thanks, I just found 100M of Memory Wire Bracelets for $1.@Tucson Beadshow. Gees I gotta go back and get more=(. These look like even I can do them=)

I love the look too!

You are a Sweet Lady to share to this tut with all of us.

((hugs))

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Feb 5, 2010 4:10 PM

This is really pretty! I have memory wire, but just have not done anything with it. This maybe a great starting point.

Very pretty bracelet! Congrats on such a pretty piece! And a huge THANK YOU for sharing!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS