Setting up an organized studio!

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
LKP2 wrote
on Jan 27, 2010 10:16 PM

I have a fairly good size craft studio in my home.  I paint, sew, scrapbook, make cards etc.  I have now added Jewelry with polymer clay, and beads.  I am looking for ideas on how to make a jewelry studio work in my room.  I'm open to suggestions and would love to see pictures of your studios if it not too much to ask.  I'm just gettiing started with the jewelry making.

LKP 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 28, 2010 1:13 AM

It took me a while to find it, but here's a whole post where people showed pics of their work areas.  I may have to add mine again because I have a new BD profile since this was posted.

http://www.beadingdaily.com/forums/t/1788.aspx?PageIndex=1

Anyone who hasn't already, feel free to add to it!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LKP2 wrote
on Jan 28, 2010 8:49 PM

Thanks so much, I had checked out from the library a book with great studios and organizational ideas. I've got to try and find the book again.

BTW  there is a book called How to organize youy Scrapbook Workspace.   by Memory Makers.  I bought it at Michaels.  It is the best book on organization I've ever read or seen.  When I got home I read it cover to cover in one sitting.  Got lots of ideas from it.

LKP

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 1:24 AM

I believe it's Interweave that publishes a quarterly magazine called "Studios" as well.  I bought an issue once and it profiled several different craftspeople and how they organize their work spaces, along with lots of handy tips.  Might be worth a look in the magazine section next time you're in your local book store.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
bellepate wrote
on Feb 5, 2010 9:47 AM

Lord, I wish I could contribute something reasonably organized....but my studio is a "work in progress"!!!  I was a polymer clay artist for many years, and have now just recently switched to bead work.  I rearranged the studio so half my space is PC, and my main work table with the other half is devoted to bead storage and work space...my jewelry making is done on a bead board in front of the TV at night.  I set up the bead board with everything I will need before my day is over, then sit down to make the piece.  Of course, that implies I have planned out the piece I will create...and, of course more often than not, the plans change as I make it!!  I don't do nearly as much as you, and wish you good luck in getting it all together...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
lasexybuda wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 11:47 AM

Hi, I found in recent days "flickr craft room"", there

you can find all kind of studio.

Happy Beading

Irene from the enchanted Island

Happy beading!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 1:04 PM

I just wish I had something I could call a "studio"...my dining room table just doesn't qualify.  I am currently working on re-organizing my stash which right now is stored on the table, under the table, on the server behind the table -  in many shoebox sized plastic tubs and organized genericly by color.  I am trying to find some kind of a bookcase / shelf type thing that I can put between the server and my china cabinet (a pretty narrow space) to store the boxes and tubs in and look somewhat organized (and not look too bad in the dining room - of course we never eat in there).  My stash just keeps growing and has gotten totally out of control.  I try to do a bit of re-organizing and de-cluttering each night (except for those nights that I just can't face it).   My husband is working all day Saturday and I plan on turning up some music and just digging in...wish me luck.  I doubt that I'll ever have anything worthy of a picture, but I am determined...New Year's resolution - to get it all in some semblance of order.   Who knows, I may even find some beads I have totally forgotten I own...like a treasure hunt (LOL).

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 526
on Jan 18, 2012 3:59 PM

I have a nice large studio that holds all my different creative supplies. My main two activities are rubber stamping and jewelry making (bead-weaving specifically) but I also crochet, sew and paint glass. I just recently made room for my sewing table in there and can't wait til I get the opportunity to actually move it out of my bedroom and into my studio.

Anyhow, the studio is a very large glorified storage shed. When we moved in it was just concrete floor, walls and studs, windows,and some built in shelves, English ivy- yes you read that right :-), and a loft that goes the length of the shed (we use it for storage). We have added insulation (we're about halfway done), lighting, a "room size" rug, my work counters from my previous home and  a 10' long counter.  the back third of the room is divided in two and one side holds our second refrigerator, pantry cabinet and antique Coke machine and soon my sewing table. The other side holds all of my crafty books and mags, a large white cabinet that stores my supplies that don't fit on the shelves and in the plastic drawers under my workbenches and a dresser that holds yet more of my stuff.

I have painted (alot), organized and reorganized and I am finally at a place where I feel like most everything is the way it should be. In the next few days I will try to take some pictures to share. It isn't very pretty but it is functional and I am working on getting it prettied up a bit more :-) Curtains make a huge difference!

As for something that is actually helpful,:

I store 98% of my beads in the clear stacking jars or in their original tubes inside of stacking containers called SnapWare. Each Snapware container is labeled with the color scheme (blues, purples, greens, etc...) i have plastic drawers that hold my thread, needles, spring clips, etc...

Anyhow, I'll take pics and share :-) as soon as I can. Feel free to nudge me if I haven't posted after several days :-)

shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS