tie clasp

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
barilee wrote
on Jan 27, 2010 1:03 PM

I'm looking for design ideas to make custom tie clasps. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Jan 27, 2010 1:35 PM

You would not believe how quickly and easily those can be made. What I've done here is made a simple, unadorned one, just so that you can see how to make the clip. You can then embellish it in any way you want!!! 

Start with about 3 1/2" of a heavey gauge half-round wire. Here I've used 18g nickel silver half round wire. 

About 1/2" from one end, make a 30* bend in the wire:

Using your round nose or rosary pliers, make a bend in the middle of the wire, with the flat side of the wire facing the inside of the bend:

Continue bending the wire, until the two ends pass each other:

Using your fingers, gently push the two ends of the wire back and together, until they meet:

Trim both ends of the wire until the look neat and even, and file your sharp edges:

You can now wrap, solder, or epoxy whatever decorations you'd like on the face of the tie clip.

You might also try using a fancy, patterned wire for this, like these: 

http://wire-sculpture.com/silver-pattern-wire/5mm_Wide_French_Scroll_Pattern_Wire_925_Sterling_Silver_6_Inches-449-12.html

I hope this helps!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 28, 2010 3:16 AM

For cryin' out loud, why have I never thought of this??  A wire bobby pin with beads attached-fantastic!  I know what Dad's getting for birthday or Christmas this year.Big Smile

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 868
MysticP wrote
on Jan 28, 2010 3:31 AM

I made a money clip out of 6mm patterned wire also, you could do a matching set with cufflinks, which are also really easy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 28, 2010 4:56 AM

Well I gave him several pairs of cufflinks that I made this past Christmas, so I guess I need to make him some matching tie clasps.  I just have to remember which ones I sent him.Confused

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Jan 29, 2010 4:43 PM

JSmaz:
  I just have to remember which ones I sent him.Confused

One more reason to take and keep [ annotated ] photos, no?

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 30, 2010 2:22 AM

I have photos but I just grabbed several pairs out of my bag full of them and sent them on.  I had actually purchased some cuff links for him in Venice with Murano glass but I didn't make it down there before I needed to ship the Christmas package, so I did the next best thing.

I can just ask Mom to look at them for me.  She can keep a secret.Wink

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS