Cree Beadweaving?

This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 9:34 PM

ok, many years ago, I took a class at a bead shop in Bellevue Washington (Beads and Beyond) and it was on a technique called "Cree Beadweaving".

The technique was an off loom technique, done with C-Lon, kind of like macrame, but no knots were used. It was an off-loom weft and warp technique. It was worked on the diagonal and size 6 or 8 beads were strung onto the warp, and the end result was a long bead fabric for belts, bags, or lariat necklaces.

Does this technique sound familiar to anyone? I don't remember who the instructor was, nor do I have the sample piece I worked up, or the directions or even pictures anymore. I've been dying to work this technique again, but I can't find anything that looks even similar. Not even macrame pieces.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Jan 6, 2010 3:51 AM

HI Nicole,

Sounds like Diagonal Weave. Is it done with your fingers? Sally Ingram had an article in Beadwork in June/July2001issue  but I can't find a reference to it here on the Beadwork site.

Sandy

Down Under

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 8:29 AM

Yes! That's IT!

I just used Diagonal Weave as a search term and found lots of stuff it wasn't, but did find one picture that is exactly what I'm talking about!

Yes, it was a needle-free technique, but the photo I'm looking at seems as thought it could have been done with a needle because in the example they show, the weft is beaded with size 11s and the warp has czech crystals. The one I worked so many years ago (like 15+) left the weft cords exposed.

Can I post a photo and link to another site giving appropriate credit? I better go read the TOS again. haha.

Thank you! Thank you! Now I know where to start looking! :)

Here's a link to the one sample I found online:

Diagonal Weave Bracelet. It's at the very bottom of the page, second to the last row, far right-hand side! Yea! Now... I have to remember HOW to do it or see if I can find an online tutorial or back issue of that 2001 Beadwork magazine! haha.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 9:41 AM

Looking at that picture it looks vaguely familiar.  If you can't find that issue of Beadwork, I'm 99% certain I do, so I could scan the article for you.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 10:05 AM

Now that i know what to look for, I found a simple line drawing of the warp and weft on an archeology site haha, and the small blurb mentioned that the warp becomes the weft, like it would for half-hitch macrame. I also was able to send Sally Ingram an email, but it remains to be seen if she is able to respond or if the address I found is still good. What I learned some 12 years ago is slowly coming back to me. haha.

I know I don't have that issue of Beadwork and if I can't find one to purchase on Ebay, I might be dropping you a line if that's ok! That's more than I could have hoped for!

Thanks so much everyone! I think my 5 year quest to find this technique again might finally be over! Ah, it's a good day! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 10:06 AM

Gotta love it when something clicks!  If you can't find what you need, by all means send me a message and I'll look it up for you. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Jan 7, 2010 2:05 AM

I'm so glad I recognised your description, Nicole.

Is'nt it great when we finally track down something we've been looking for for a ling time?

Sandy

Sandy

Down Under

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jan 7, 2010 8:47 PM

NicoleT:
Does this technique sound familiar to anyone? I don't remember who the instructor was, nor do I have the sample piece I worked up, or the directions or even pictures anymore. I've been dying to work this technique again, but I can't find anything that looks even similar. Not even macrame pieces.

Two books I have show something which looks similar, the books are:

1.  North American Indian Beadwork Designs, (Published in 1999,) Clark Wissler, Reprint of  Guide Leaflet N0. 50, published in 1919 by the American Museum of Natural History, NYC, NY.  (Indian Beadwork : a help for students of design),  Figure 8d. on page 10.    ISBN : 0-486-40713-6,  $2.95 US

2.  Native American Beadwork, (Published in 2002,) William C. Orchard, republication of BGeads and Beadwork of the American Indian first published in 1929 by The Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation, NY.  Figure 110 on page 131.    ISBN : 0-486-42483-9,  $9.95 US

I'm not sure how soon I can copy the appropriate figures, but since the copies I have were reprinted in the past 11 years, they should still be available.  (My wife bought them for me at The Museum of the American Indian, in Washington, DC, November, 2006.)  The ISBN numbers may help your public library get them, if you wish to try that route.  I'll contact you off line when they are ready for you -- hope you don't have 'dial=up' internet.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jan 7, 2010 10:03 PM

Thanks Stan!

I did manage to figure out the weave on my own based on a relatively rough sketch I found online and combined that sketch with what I know about micro-macrame... I think i've got it right. I now have 12 feet of C-Lon hanging from my ceiling, and a ladder. HAHAHA and I'm about 4" into it and it looks right. My family thinks I've lost my marbles and have finally gone insane. They're probably right too!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jan 8, 2010 3:51 AM

This is beautiful, I'd love to find the directions too.  I looked and don't have the magazine, now I'm looking for those books Stan.....

Pam

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Jan 8, 2010 5:53 AM

HI Pam,

This might be the sketch Nicole found:

http://www.nativetech.org/beadweav/bweavt5.html

I remembered a conversation years ago over at the Beadwork forum on about.com. Sally Ingram who wrote the article I have from Beadwork magazine gave us an American flag pattern.

Do an advanced seach for number 5906.1.

Message number 7337.1 has 94 messages in it. Lots of information from Sally and other people.

Now all we really need is the folks here at Beadwork to make the project available for those people that don't have the old issue.  The back issue isn't available to buy nor is the project.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

Down Under

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 588
NicoleT24 wrote
on Jan 8, 2010 9:22 AM

Yep! that was the drawing I found!

My sister wanted a belt woven like this, so that's what I'm doing right now. I am about 5" into it, but I'm thinking about ripping it apart, I think I blew a row and now it's not looking right. I think I have the basic technique down, but I was probably over ambitious by starting into the project without doing a bracelet or something smaller first. haha. I might have to back myself up. Not too mention, I have twelve feet of cord hanging from the ceiling on a plant hook... my arms are tired! haha.

As soon as I get my act together, I'll write up and illustrate some instructions!

This is a cool pattern for sure. It's so flexible, textural, and the bias design is visually interesting. It's really not so different from the weave that you use to do a diagonal half-hitch macrame, you're just using beads to hold the rows instead of half-hitch knots.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Jan 8, 2010 3:06 PM

Your poor arms NIcole! I can't imagine the pain.

Do you have to take all of the belt apart? How far back is the mistake?

It would be fabulous if you could write up some directions for everyone.  I emailed Jean Campbell last night to ask if Beadwork could publish the project again. Jean answered already and likes the idea but it might take a few months.

I'm off to the shops to find some cotton thread to make a bracelet today. Apparently cotton works better for this. Found my copy of Beadwork last night.  The bracelet in Sally's article if for cubes and I don't have enough. Think I like the idea of 11s better anyway.

Sandy

Sandy

Down Under

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 9, 2010 5:45 AM

You know I'm going to have to dig up that article and play with it now that you've started this.  I have 1 project in progress I have to finish and then I can actually work on some "play" projects.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jan 9, 2010 8:33 AM

My LBS has bracelets in the window that are similar.  In the picture Nicole had the link to, the seed beads went diagonally from top left to bottom right.  At my LBS, they also had seed beads going from top right to bottom left - so each bead was surrounded by seed beads but it still looked square - does that make sense?  It is like a diagonal checkerboard.  They had one that had gold seed beads and pastel Swarovski crystals - the crystals go diagonally down in 'stripes' ( a 'stripe' of pink, then blue, then green).  The other one is done with almost clear seed beads (sorry - not very familiar with seed bead colors) with glass pearls and they go in diagonal 'stripes' in white, gray and black.  They are both so very pretty.  I gave a thought to trying weaving again after seeing them.  The last time I was there, I asked what the stitch was but the owner didn't know.  She said a former employee from Russia had done the bracelets.  It's nice to know a 'starting point' to do a search if I ever really want to try it.  Although, if  I would have thought about it.......   digonal 'stripes', Diagonal Weave.....

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS