Simply Pretty Beading?? Tried it??

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Jan 3, 2010 6:58 AM

I recently purchased the book Simply Pretty Beading by Patricia Ducerf -- it was the cute variety of rings that snagged me!  However, once I got home with it and looked further at the instructions, I was disappointed to see that they aren't as detailed as I think I need.  Does anyone have this book or tried these patterns?  I tried doing an internet search for the author in case she might have a website, but just got places where the book could be purchased.   

She refers just to "seed beads" with no specification about size (so I'm guessing 8/0 - although some of the pictures look like maybe 6/0) and also uses "wheel beads" - which I've never heard of, but to me look like rondelles??

I think I'm in for alot of trial and error beading with this one -- which isn't good for me b/c I'm much more of an instant gratification gal!!  HA  Big Smile

~ Tess ~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 3, 2010 7:31 AM

I don't have the book but I looked at an excerpt from it online.  Looks like it was originally published in France, so perhaps some of our French members may have seen it? The French title is "Bijoux de Perles pour nous les filles".

From what I can tell she's measuring the beads in millimeters instead of the sizes we use for seed beads, so you might have to measure some seedies to figure out what size you need.  I'm thinking they look like size 11's but I could be wrong.  The excerpt I looked at didn't have the other beads you mentioned so can't help you on those I'm afraid.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 4, 2010 3:33 PM

Hi Tess, Welcome to Beading Daily Forum.

I looked up the book, on eBay. Wow! Has some beautiful things on the cover. Now I have to order it. It looks like a good one to have for variety.

(sorry) not much help on your questions tho.=(

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 7:28 AM

Hi Mary - thanks for the welcome.  Actually, I've been around awhile.....I just read more than I post!

You're right - it was those pictures that pushed me to purchase it as well.  I hope if you do get it that you have more luck than I've had so far.   I'm still struggling with the bead sizes and instructions.  But I"m stubborn and determined to figure it out (GOOD beader qualities to have) -- it may just take me a little longer than I had hoped when I was standing in line at the bookstore.  AND I've learned a very important beading lesson......Do NOT get distracted by the pretty pictures without first reading ALL of the instructions!  Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,904
SEllen 2 wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 2:08 PM

TessM@7:
......Do NOT get distracted by the pretty pictures without first reading ALL of the instructions! 

Those little sparklies get us one way or another...every time. heheWink

Good Luck

sellenSmile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 10:34 PM

I ordered this on Ebay for $1.Plus $3.99postage. I fell in love with the coverEmbarrassed I mostly look at the pictures to make things.

Now you tell me I should read the instructionsCrying..Oh dear me.......

I can't wait till it gets here! yeah! Thanks for sharing.

Gyspy Mary

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
TessM@7 wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 8:06 AM

Mary,

Yeah!  I have a BD friend !!    I'm anxious for you to receive the book.  You'll probably do better with just looking at the pictures than I do by trying to follow the instructions! Wink

I'm ordering rondelles today b/c I've decided that's what the author means by "wheel beads" (see ring on pg. 47).  Another example, I ran across a peyote pattern from a European company and they called the stop bead a "keeper bead".    So maybe it's a language issue that gets lost in translation ??  Who knows??

I'm also thinking the seed beads HAVE to be 8/0 because I don't think I can get Supplemax through 11/0's multiple times...

~ Tess ~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 9:23 AM

When I looked at it online I noticed that it was a UK company that published it in English, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that French to British English translation comes out sounding a bit strange to us crazy Yanks.  Good luck with the patterns, and show us what you make if you can. :)

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 7, 2010 11:38 PM

Hi Tess, (BD Friend=)

I just found a very old pattern for a candle and it called for "Wheel Beads". However, in the picture they are actually (now called) "Star Beads". I have never seen the Star/wheel bead in anything but plastic beads.

OHHH! I didn't know #8/0 were seed beads.?? I thought seed bead refferred to #11/0 beads?

Oh! ya! the more I learn, the less I know.Ick!  ( like that ole saying,"if your green you grow, If your ripe you just go to seed". ) I love beading there is so much to learn.  Its like waking up in a new world everydaySmile

Gyspy Mary

Not Ranked
Posts 1
padu12 wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 5:24 AM

hello

I am patricia ducerf

which book from me you buy ? if I ca help you write me... bye patricia

Not Ranked
Posts 12
dolfinchris wrote
on Apr 2, 2013 4:06 AM

I would like to say thanks to the admin of that forum for sharing such a innovative ideas.I must share these ideas with all of my friends so that they can also know about that community and take the advantages of them.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS