Stoping Publication of Step by Step Beads

This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Dec 29, 2009 7:14 AM

I am very unhappy that you have stopped publishing this magazine.  Sending us to BEADWORK will not satisfy the STEP by STEP need.  I just wanted you to know that Step by Step Beads got me started on the beading jewlery so how many folks are you never going to get into the family by stopping publication?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Dec 29, 2009 10:46 AM

Hi Anita,

There was a whole thread about this a while ago. Nobody is happy, and I'm also sad to see a good publication go under. This is the second beading casualty of our bad economy, I'm afraid. Simply Beads, which I thought was a really nice publication, went ot of business last year, too.

I agree, the effort to get SBSB readers to switch to beadwork is lame. (unless you want an all bead weaving publication.) I really like step by step wire, (which has stepped out photo instructions) and stringing has really good designs, but no step by step photos. You can try Bead Style, which also has stepped out instructions, but I don't like their designs much. In fact, I think many of their designs are really boring and uncreative, and mostly beginner projects that are really easy, but its all subjective. Obviously, many people like them--they claim to be the #1 beading publication.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Jan 3, 2010 7:37 PM

Does this mean they are going to stop Step By Step Wire as well???? I subscribe to that magazine, in fact I just got yet another renewal notice in the mail.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Jan 4, 2010 11:37 AM

Ruthie:
Does this mean they are going to stop Step By Step Wire as well?

No, step by step wire is still going strong--in fact, they just announced they are going from 5 issues per year to 6. Yay!!! Wire lovers unite!

Erin

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bette Lou wrote
on Jan 22, 2010 6:25 PM

I too, am very unhappy about the switch. Step by Step has so much more than just bead weaving. I got my first issue of Beadwork and found nothing theat I was interested in.

I am looking for a back issue of Step by Step, Vol 6 No. 5, the Sept/Oct 2008 issue. I loaned it to someone and it is now among the missing. There is a project I really wanted to do in that issue. It is about converting a pin into a pendant. Anyone interested in parting with it?

Thanks All

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jan 23, 2010 3:58 AM

Hi Bette Lou, welcome to the forums!  There's a forum for bartering http://www.beadingdaily.com/forums/33.aspx where we post things like this, you might find someone with that magazine issue willing to trade for something sooner if you post this there as well.  Good luck, it's no fun to loan something to someone and never get it back. Also putting your email address right into your post isn't a good idea.  Anyone who wants to email you can click on your avatar and use the link to email you from there.

Pam

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
on Jan 26, 2010 11:14 AM

HI--

First, Beadwork will have plenty of beginner how-tos for you, so don't throw up your hands just yet. Beadwork has gorgeous stepped out illustrations. And, stick around Beading Daily, because I do loads of step by step photos for my tutorials.  We'll keep you happy, promise!

editor, Beading Daily

sleeplessbeader.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Jan 29, 2010 11:54 AM

Leslie--I think the big issue here is simply that Beadwork ONLY has beadweaving. Step by step beads was much more diverse, and had projects using all kinds of different media. Something for everyone. Beadwork is only for bead weavers. Its a great publication, but its not a substitution for those of us who are not into weaving.

Erin

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 5:30 PM

I just want to say how disappointed I was that Step by Step was going to be discontinued.  Something about that magazine was very user friendly, it was not overwhelming, even though I like the overwhelming magazines also. (I get almost all of them) Please reconsider.  It was in a special niche.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS