Website Suggestions - Help please

This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
MarieG10 wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 12:23 PM

Since I can't go back to work yet, I decided I needed a website for my jewelry, so,  I've purchased website hosting at Go Daddy.  It is template based and leaves very little room for customization, so I'm not thrilled, but I just don't know where else to go. It's pretty expensive too.   I don't have any experience with the free shopping carts and most of the sites that host them limit you to 15 items.  SOOOO.  My question to all of you who have the beautiful websites are:  Who is your host?  What shopping cart do you use?  Est. of hosting costs?  Do you think Etsy is a good option?  Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Suzanne@120 wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 12:50 PM

Marie:

Since I can't go back to work yet, I decided I needed a website for my jewelry, so,  I've purchased website hosting at Go Daddy.  It is template based and leaves very little room for customization, so I'm not thrilled, but I just don't know where else to go. It's pretty expensive too.   I don't have any experience with the free shopping carts and most of the sites that host them limit you to 15 items.  SOOOO.  My question to all of you who have the beautiful websites are:  Who is your host?  What shopping cart do you use?  Est. of hosting costs?  Do you think Etsy is a good option?  Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated.

I used Go Daddy and was not very happy with it.   I switched over to siteground.com for hosting and have been more than pleased with it.  I use zencart as my free shopping cart.  If you know how to use ftp and php it is very easy to update.  ZenCart does not limit you how many items you can list.

http://suzanneshandmadejewelry.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 7:11 PM

I prefer Artfire to Etsy. There you have the option to open a free store, see how it goes and go pro if you like it. At $12 a month, flat rate no extra fees I think it's a good deal.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 110
Vicki@93 wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 7:26 PM

I use Weebly.  It has a built in shopping cart and let's you use PayPal or Google Merchant.  There are many design templates and lots of add in's you can apply. 

I haven't built websites with any other software, but I am pretty happy with the results.  And it's free, as long as you don't mind the .weebly.com in your domain name.  You can pay to remove it and have more customizable features (and 10 domains per Pro account.) It's about $48 a year or $71 for 2 years but occasionally they'll issue coupons; my friend got it for 1/2 off. Here's what a Pro membership includes: https://secure.weebly.com/weebly/apps/proExplanation.html

So far so good.  :-)

Vicki

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
MarieG10 wrote
on Dec 1, 2009 6:18 AM

Thanks so much all.  I'll check these out. 

Blessings to all 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
PepperEvans wrote
on Dec 4, 2009 8:52 PM

I'm actually considering fruitengine.com since I envy the website of a wholesale beads dealer that I know of. It has all the essentials of a website.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,328
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 5, 2009 6:13 AM

Pepper, you website addy is incorrect. could you please correct it so we can see what you like?

Thanks

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 110
Vicki@93 wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 11:17 AM

Marie (and others),

Here are a couple links from the How To tab of Beading Daily:

Advice on Naming Your Business:

http://www.beadingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/10/13/advice-on-naming-your-jewelry-business.aspx

Tips for launching your website:

http://www.beadingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2009/01/14/5-tips-for-launching-your-personal-website.aspx

I hope these help you.  There are a number of other good resources (archive of previous topics) organized by topic.  Check it out.

Vicki

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
MarieG10 wrote
on Dec 10, 2009 8:39 AM

Hey Vicki,

Thanks for the links.  I'll check them out.  I've been really shopping around at webhost suggestions from everyone here and have found some winners.  I'll let you know when my site is up and hopefully get some critiques from you guys.  Right now, my goal is just to get something out there and then improve it as time permits.  I set up an Artfire account and although I don't have any items there yet, I have to say they are incredibly helpful.  Thanks all

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 582
Beadiecat wrote
on Dec 28, 2009 11:10 AM

When I had my online store, I used OSCommerce.  It is mainly a shopping cart, but can be used to build your entire website.  Because it is open source, it is free.  It also has a very helpful and friendly forum.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 41
Jim Juris wrote
on Jan 26, 2010 10:14 AM

Hi Marie,

I have used and I highly recommend a web hosting company that has over 1,000 professionally designed templates, the best that I have seen, excellent customer support 12 hours per day/7 days per week, and a shopping cart all for just $9.99 per month.

I will be switching one of my websites over to this web hosting company when my current web hosting time expires in the beginning of March.

Here is information on the company that I recommend.  I also want to recommend that you try the free demo.    http://pagebuzz.com/howto-comparehosting.html?&agentid=grdbum

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Kmarie0218 wrote
on Feb 7, 2010 8:15 PM

I have my own website, but have my items for sale on Ecrater.  I chose it over Etsy because it's FREE!  Plus the items/listings never expire, and it also can control inventory.  Very easy to create your own online store.

I'm using free open source software by Nvu to build my websites.  It's not to bad, similar to Front Page.

If you're looking for marketplaces to sell your jewelry, you may want to check out this list I've put together on one of my website's pages.  There are a lot of options to choose from.  I ranked them by monthly visitors so you'd have a good idea of the traffic at the site as you check them out to determine which one meets your needs.

Good luck!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 52
on Feb 22, 2010 9:06 PM

Hello, thank you for this information. I have Go daddy hosting, and I look at my bank account today to find they have pulled money from the wrong account again. This is getting old. Thank goodness I had money there.  

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS