What's been your success w/ jewelry selling?

This post has 50 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,256
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 12:46 PM

brightcircle:
After my last disastrous show, I realized I hated shows and I never want to do another one again. I MAY do home parties; that at least doesn't cost money upfront.

And at home shows there is no compitition either. You are the only show there, so if the guess came to buy jewelry it will be from you. You can find a hostess to throw the party in return for a nice hostess gift of a % off her own purchase. It is a nice way to go. As some of your supporters ( a good customer or a relative) to throw your first party for you. Book more parties from her guest,  if your product is good, your prices are fair and you make sure everyone knows of the nice hostess gift you supply with a given party, it should all snowball from there.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 19, 2010 2:20 AM

I love this thread, it's got so much advice and that is exactly what I need right now, lol.

I've sold my jewelry at 3 garage sells, the first one bombed pretty badly, so for the 2nd 2 I lowered prices, as in $3 earrings, $4 bracelets & $5 necklaces, everything sold though!
I've also taken some into work where they sold at slightly better prices, lol.

I use swarvoski crystal in almost everything I make though, and other high quality materials as well so selling at those sort of prices I will never really earn a profit. I love playing with beads though and creating new things so it really is just a hobby for me. 

In Sept. I will be doing my 1st outdoor festival in the town I live in, the booth fee is $60 and my pace in 10x10.
I have no idea if that's a good deal or not! Guess I'll just have to find out if anything sells!!

Does anyone have any tips? Is it worth investing in one of those pop up tents? And are my prices way too low?? I've seen the prices you all have listed in the thread and it makes me think that I'm really, really underselling!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 19, 2010 7:48 AM

If you're selling things for at or less than the cost of the materials alone then you're definitely under pricing.  Alas, people are almost never going to give you what your jewelry is worth at a garage sale-people go looking for a bargain and aren't usually prepared to buy at a premium.  If you're going to sell things you should make it worth your while-you don't want to put all that effort into it to lose money.

An EZ Up is definitely worth the money especially if you're going to continue doing shows.  For your first one you might try renting or borrowing one if you can, unless you think you'd use the tent for other things as well in which case just buy one.  You never know what the weather is going to do, and if everyone else has one you may look out of place without it (been there, done that).

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 19, 2010 11:52 PM

Thanks Jeni!

Yeah I was a little worried about the weather, I live in Indiana and it changes every other min. and it does seem like a pretty good investment as well...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Aug 3, 2010 7:45 PM

KristieJ3:
In Sept. I will be doing my 1st outdoor festival in the town I live in, the booth fee is $60 and my pace in 10x10.
I have no idea if that's a good deal or not! Guess I'll just have to find out if anything sells!!

That IS probably a fair price.

KristieJ3:
Is it worth investing in one of those pop up tents?

If you can, rent one first.  If you like it, AND if you like the work, go ahead and buy one.

KristieJ3:
And are my prices way too low?? I've seen the prices you all have listed in the thread and it makes me think that I'm really, really underselling!!

YES!!!! WAY, WAY too low!!

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
jeannie1106 wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 1:34 PM

As a complete newbie, I am finding this thread extremely valuable and would like to thank all of the contributors.  I'm learning so much from you already!

Page 4 of 4 (51 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 | RSS