Cheesey Bead Kit subscription

This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 11:33 AM

Oh, that is too bad. I used to really like Simply Beads magazine (before they went out of business) and thought they were a class act. In fact, I am friendly with the person that used to be the editor there. She still writes a monthly newsletter for them and edits jewelry books for Annies Attic. Maybe I'll drop her a line and direct her to this thread so she is aware. I'm sure she has nothing to do with the kits, and I doubt she could do anything about it, but she does work for the company. I'll let you know if she responds.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 11:45 AM

Wow!  Cheese ain't cheap! 

I think the mass production costs put anything decent out of a saleable price range. Plus the big companies put mucho bucks into overly done packaging.  I've seen some kits that could fit into a business card box be sold in huge 9 x 12" full color die-cut boxes....what a waste of money and resources...definitely not green!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
BDT Studio wrote
on Sep 23, 2009 12:19 PM

Thanks, Erin,  maybe that will get the attention of someone in a position to do something about it. If they used to be reputable it may be that someone down the line decided to cut costs this way and the upper level people have no idea. Couldn't hurt.

Barb

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 250
MarieG10 wrote
on Sep 23, 2009 2:07 PM

Since several of you are considering purchasing beading kits, I thought I'd add my experiences as well.  I too got suckered with a low quality kit and the price was ridiculous.  $15 or $17 (Can't remember) and it was a 3" round box of seed beads, a little strand of cheap thread and a needle.  The only thing that was of any quality was the directions which were well written, but what really did it was the price of shipping.  It was outrageous.  I am one of those people who wants a company to be 'up front' about how much they want from me for a product.  If they want $22 then ask for $22 and bill me for the REAL shipping cost also, but don't advertise this fantastic deal for $15  and then bill me for $22 when the shipping couldn't be more than $2.  Well, I didn't start out to vent, but boy that fires me up :-) 

Any how, just wanted to alert people who are considering a kit of the month or any online or direct mail purchase to be sure they know what the shipping costs will be before agreeing to a membership, as some companies even require  you  to buy a certain number of kits before your obligation is met.  I received a catalog the other day for yarn and the shipping for orders under a $50 was 40% of the sale price!!! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Sep 29, 2009 4:52 PM

uh oh i think my grandmother just joined that beading kit club thing. But the other day she said she got her 1st kit and never mentioned being unhappy, but shes also used to working with a lot of plastic and stuff so as long as the finished project looks decent she will be happy. I'll ask her about the kit nxt time i see her again.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on Oct 2, 2009 3:29 PM

Just to let everyone know, I did email the editor of the simply beads newsletter and let her know about this thread. She does not work directly with the kit clubs, but she was sympathetic, and told me she was not happy about promoting something with quality issues, and she has brought this issue up previously. She has sent an email to the person that runs the club and let them know about this thread and that they are losing customers. So hopefully, people like us will make a difference.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Laura Scott2 wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 8:33 AM

Hi, everyone. Through a roundabout way, the postings about our Simply Beads Kit-of-the-Month Club were passed onto me, and even though they were not positive, I am very glad I received them. I am product development director for all of Annie's Attic's kit clubs, so feel it is important for me personally to reply to the postings.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about anyone who is unhappy with any of our kits. Annie's Attic stands by our  customers and want to give our customers full satisfaction with our kits. If a member is unhappy with any kit for any reason, whether she has opened it or not, started it or not, half-finished it or not, we will give a full refund OR give the customer a different kit. Customers can call our toll free customer service number at (800) 282-6643.

I would like to know which kit in particular Barb was so unhappy with so I can look into it. We have had a couple kits with which we ourselves have not been pleased with the quality, and have been working with the bead vendors to fix them. We are no longer including acrylic or plastic beads in kits, so I assume Barb's kit must have been one of our first kits. This was something we learned in the first year of producing these kits--beaders don't want acrylic! So anyone who continues in the club, I believe, will find the quality of beads and findings to be better and better all the time as we find better and better sources for the kit supplies.

Obviously, I have a great deal invested in the success of all our Annie's Attic Kit-of-the-Month Clubs. My job is to make sure the kits are good quality, the projects enjoyable to create and wear, and our club members satisfied. I regret that we did not fulfill these goals for some of you. If you would like to e-mail me personally or on the forum, either is OK with me.

For the person looking for kits for her nieces, you are probably thinking of our Creative Girls Club. This kit club is about 10 years old. We have excellent designers and materials manufacturers working with us (in other words--very good quality kits!). Members receive two kits every six weeks in various craft techniques. The finished projects range from cool stuff for their bedrooms, school lockers, gifts for self or friends, jewelry, etc. The web site is CreativeGirlsClub.com.

Laura Scott

Product development director

DRG/Annie's Attic kit clubs

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
coolmoon wrote
on Oct 12, 2009 3:53 PM

I had also subscribed to this disappointing kit of the month club.  I should have known, as an intermediate/advanced weaver, that most of them would be too basic for me.  But to have them also be inferior was a real disappointment. I cancelled after the 4th month.... I do hope you will try to get a refund of the one you are disappointed in. These same people were the group that gave us the magazine 'Simply Beads' for awhile - and I would think they would want to keep their reputation for craft selling intact.
Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 17, 2013 10:21 PM

Hi there!  I hope all these ladies can see my reply.  I absolutely adore all of the kit clubs!  I've subscribed to every single one!  My favorite is SIMPLY BEADS!  I just can't wait to get my kits!  I do have a good taste for quality and fashion. In my opinion these kits are wonderful!  It bothers me when people say these negative things when I believe they are not true.  I really don't understand where they are coming from.  I think the mother who just joined is going to be delighted!  Had to say something.  Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Mar 18, 2013 9:37 AM

I'm not sure of the laws where you are, maybe you could report them for false advertising, as the beads you have look nothing like the nicer looking beads in the website's photos.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 11:54 AM

Hey Blue,

This thread is 4 years old. 

I am not saying that this the case here, the jury is still out on this one, but some people will bring up an old thread just to do their advertising. I will watch this one and see what happens. I hope it isn't an advertising ploy by Simple Beads, but it diffidently looks that way right now with the way they inlarged the letters on Simple Beads.. Simple Beads have been advertising in the gallery, even though they have been informed that this is not allowed. So I really wouldn't put it past them to do this. Like I said I will be watching and the jury may come in at anytime now. I don't have the power to delete them off the gallery, but I do have that power her in the forms.

Watching.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Mar 18, 2013 8:22 PM

Sorry! I was half asleep! Prob delete it then!

You ladies n guys, should do a clean out and delete really old threads. Cos i just read the title and add my own comment. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 8:21 PM

Don't delete the old threads -- there's a wealth of information that still applies and informs (some of us).  Just pay attention to what you're reading (especially the dates); spammers will use anything anyhow.  Deleting all the old threads amounts to 'throwing out the baby with the bath water'; besides, the old threads are site history.  My two cents worth (for what it's worth).

Ottercat Coffee

03-19-13 (1820 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,522
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 9:24 PM

Ladies, I like old threads also, sometimes sheds light on something that is still "same old, same old" or something that has changed. And it is not just cheap kits that are disappointing, I have one or two vendors that I won't buy kits from and kits are a fun way to try something if you don't have that particular bead or beads in your stash and are worth the money. One kit I bought had a mixture of bead sizes and shapes where they should all have been the same........very disappointing and the most predominant color in the whole beaded item was the lousiest bead. I made the pattern again using delicas and it came out much prettier. A friend bought a $165 kit and it had quite a large error in the directions, that should NEVER happen, it should have been checked and rechecked before sales.

On the other hand a lot of the designers are very conscious of what they sell, and well that they should because that is their reputation. They will answer e-mails, etc. Two Cents worth. Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 9:50 PM

I also don't believe the old threads should be deleted. They do hold a wealth of information that can surely be used by all beaders both new and experienced. 

Just be aware of the dates and how spammers work their web. Just take some of the information with a grain of salt.  Be wise!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS