We're getting a LBS!!!!!

This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 10:26 AM

Yep...it's true!  I was working the bead show yesterday when I met a lampworker who is opening a small bead store about 30 miles away.  YAY!!!

Even better news is that she wants me to teach at her store and is interested in selling my bead kits. I have somewhere to teach bead weaving!!!  I think by the end of the year I will be making a decent living (more than my last job) as a bead artist!  Finally!  It will have taken about about 18 months to achieve but I think that's pretty good.

I posted on my blog about the bead show if anyone's interested (TheBeadedCarpet.blogspot.com)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,964
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 11:00 AM

Congratulations!!

It sounds as if you're going to be very busy and having a blast too.

Good Luck with the new venture.

But don't forget about us we'd miss you if you didn't drop by and chat.

sellenSmile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 11:46 AM

This is great Mikki! Congrats to you and I hope it's successful!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 12:35 PM

FANTASTIC!

Glad you had a good time at the bead show and made a great connection! AND brought home a nice pile of pretties for your stash!

We've had buckets of rain here - what's left of TS Jimena has hit us with about 3 inches of rain in the past 2 days with more still predicted. 3 inches is a lot when our "normal" annual average is 10 inches or so and we're in the middle of a 20 year drought. We had a section of ceiling in the ladies' restroom fall in a couple of weeks ago. It's one ugly hole in the ceiling and now with wet insulation sagging - puts the restrooms out of commission. We have to wait until the bids come back before the repairs can be done. <sigh> Oh, the joys of owning an LBS!

Have a good weekend!

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 3:50 PM

Thanks everyone.

It was weird how it all happened. One of my students showed me an ad for the bead show on Tuesday afternoon, by that night I had scheduled people to work the show, I was supposed to teach classes on Friday but they were cancelled due to lack of sign-ups (Labor Day holiday).  That left me free to work the bead show on Friday.  I think someone up there likes me because the way it all worked out ...well...perfect is the only word I can think of.

The only scarey thing is that if everyone shows up at the Bead Society meeting that said they would....we may overspill the venue!  But that never happens...right?

Deb...ouch on the hole in the ceiling.  I remember my bathroom ceiling caving in because the homeowners society neglected to clear out the gutters before the rainy season.  It's a pain!   We've had a ton of rain here too, tremendous thunderstorms though it seemed everytime I needed to step outside it stopped raining....my karma must be really paying off.

I now have to focus on getting the project proposals done for BeadFest Philly. Then I get to work with all the new stash I collected this week!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 57
Carole@102 wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 7:53 PM

Wow, that's really great. I am sure you can get more sense of accomplishment.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Sep 5, 2009 8:08 PM

Yay!!!!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Sep 6, 2009 5:11 AM

That's really great news Mikki!  Congrats, and I hope it works out well for you.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Sep 7, 2009 3:24 AM

Mikki, nice!!!  Making a living as a bead artist is no small accomplishment, congratulations 

Pam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Sep 8, 2009 7:55 AM

Mikki,

Congratulations! Wonderful news.

Courtney

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
coolmoon wrote
on Sep 9, 2009 8:39 AM

As the owner of a small bead shop in Michigan, it's hard to believe that there are places around that have NO LBS!  It's a serious committment, though, running a store.  It takes effort, a GREAT love for what you are doing, a good customer service reputation, and of course, CASH. 
Congratulations on asked to be a part of it.  Many people I speak with seem to think that beading is a passing fad, and will go the way of the Hula Hoop.  Boy - are they WRONG!   We don't just love our beads, we are passionate about them - and more and more people join us everyday.
Good luck - and most of all - ENJOY the experience.  Bottom line - if it ain't fun-don't do it. 
Sheryl Stephens
Cool Moon Creations & Beads
Lansing, MI

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 293
Mikki335 wrote
on Sep 9, 2009 9:29 AM

Thanks for all the congratulations....I'm excited about the new store and am looking forward to seeing the owner tonight.  Tonight is the inaugural meeting of my bead society.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 9, 2009 11:03 AM

Congradulations!  A Bead Store requires a "full time Re-order button". If your keeping your customers Happy, ordering what they want.

I volunteered one day a week, and Taught one day a week at Snow's Little Bead Room, in Benson,AZ a few months.

I loved the owners and their customers. Retired RV-ers and a long history Love for Beading and of  people.

It also served to cure me of the notion, I wanted to own a bead store. Not me, I wanta bead.:) I wanta Teach Beading:). I wants, my new mantra.:)

God Bless all those who do want to own a Bead Store.

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 9, 2009 1:23 PM

coolmoon:

As the owner of a small bead shop in Michigan, it's hard to believe that there are places around that have NO LBS!  It's a serious committment, though, running a store.  It takes effort, a GREAT love for what you are doing, a good customer service reputation, and of course, CASH. 
Congratulations on asked to be a part of it.  Many people I speak with seem to think that beading is a passing fad, and will go the way of the Hula Hoop.  Boy - are they WRONG!   We don't just love our beads, we are passionate about them - and more and more people join us everyday.
Good luck - and most of all - ENJOY the experience.  Bottom line - if it ain't fun-don't do it. 
Sheryl Stephens
Cool Moon Creations & Beads
Lansing, MI

You said it Sheryl - if it ain't fun, don't do it. Running any business is not easy - especially a retail business, where you have to keep inventory moving in and out. I admire anyone who is starting ANY business right now. We talked to my future son-in-law a few days ago. He's looking at getting involved with a new business in a year or so, but he's doing homework. He's been working on a business plan for months!

We hear the same thing - how can you make money selling "just beads"? When we opened the original brick and mortar store 3 years ago, the neighboring stores had a pool going on how soon we'd be closed. One of them gave us 6 months or less. In the new store, we had the owner of another store in our plaza come in and snoop around and then he said the same thing. "How can you make anything selling beads?" with that condescending know-it-all tone of voice.

I didn't realize your store is in Lansing. I could've sent a few customers your way last spring when the winter visitors headed home. I WILL be sure to send them your way next spring!

Deb - AZ Bead Depot 

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 9, 2009 1:27 PM

Gyspy Mary:

Congradulations!  A Bead Store requires a "full time Re-order button". If your keeping your customers Happy, ordering what they want.

I volunteered one day a week, and Taught one day a week at Snow's Little Bead Room, in Benson,AZ a few months.

I loved the owners and their customers. Retired RV-ers and a long history Love for Beading and of  people.

It also served to cure me of the notion, I wanted to own a bead store. Not me, I wanta bead.:) I wanta Teach Beading:). I wants, my new mantra.:)

God Bless all those who do want to own a Bead Store.

Mary

ROFL Mary!

My DH Mike is my "full time re-order button". He's my supply Sarge and without him, the whole place would fall apart!

I've got to remember Snow's - are they listed on guidetobeadwork.com or in the BD Directory? We have customers who go to Benson to see Kartchner Caverns. While they are in the area, they might want to visit Snow's. I'm sure some of them would rather visit a bead shop than the Caverns!

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS