On-Line Book......FREE

This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 367
BeadBarn wrote
on Aug 7, 2009 11:44 PM

Found a site that may be of interest.... It is a book that has been published on the web containing stitch instructions, thread tensions and lots of other info...and its free....

http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/book/

Check it out...(when you select a category..you will see a fairly blank screenHuh?... look to the left and click on the page numbers to display the pages with the instructions...)

Lynn

BeadBarn – Lynn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 8, 2009 1:25 PM

I just came back from the site; I was curious about the 'twill' stitch -- looks like an easy way to start the Gourd/Peyote stitch.  Very interesting, will now bookmark that site.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Donna@291 wrote
on Aug 8, 2009 2:21 PM

Lynn,

Thanks for the link. I already explored and bookmarked the site.

Donna

GEAUX TIGERS!!!! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Aug 8, 2009 5:06 PM

CrystalCubeBead.:
-- looks like an easy way to start the Gourd/Peyote stitch. 

Stan,  what other way do you start it?

Cathi

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 8, 2009 5:47 PM

CathiK:

CrystalCubeBead.:
-- looks like an easy way to start the Gourd/Peyote stitch. 

Stan,  what other way do you start it?

Cathi

You know, when I think about it, you're right!  I guess it was the round beads, I'm used to cylinder beads.  Oh well, pobodys nerefect.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 4:39 AM

I came across this site earlier and I like it very much for the clear graphs on the different stitches. Thanks for sharing!

I am a bit confused about the using of the name gourd stitch. Sometimes it is a synonym for peyote stitch and sometimes it describes a stitch similar to peyote but with a different pattern/outcome. For example this stitch is described in the book "Beading in the Native American Tradition" by David Dean.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 4:43 AM

I was under the impression that it's the same stitch, but "peyote stitch" is more for sacred items as opposed to gourd stitch which is for everyday items, if you will.  I gather that gourd stitch is the more appropriate thing to call the majority of what we do as beaders. 

Stan, Apache girl or anyone else, can you clarify?

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 6:14 AM

The problem is that the name "gourd stitch" describes two different stitches for me. One is peyote and the other one is.......can't describe as the lineage of the beads is different. If you make gourd stitch tubular it looks like the beads circle around the dowel in straight lines and only one direction, like here. Boy, I hope this is not too confusing!

Yeah, maybe Stan or Apachegirl can clarify that. Thanks in advance!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 6:54 AM

Ok, I found this explanation on about.com:

"The name "peyote stitch" comes from the Native American Church where the peyote cactus is eaten ceremonially and considered a sacrament. A form of the stitch (not the more common version discussed here) is used to embellish fans, rattles, and other items used in peyote ceremonies. For this reason, some members of the church say that the name peyote should be applied to the stitch only when used in this manner and whenever the stitch is applied to secular items it should be called gourd stitch.

Most beaders continue to use the name peyote stitch simply because the vast majority of people know the stitch by this name. We don't want to offend anyone, but we don't want to confuse anyone either. Perhaps a whole new name is needed! While gourd stitch makes sense when applied to tubular peyote, it's rather inaccurate when applied to flat peyote. Where would the gourd go?"

That doesn't quite answer your question, but it's in the ballpark.  There are some really beautiful pieces on that site you linked to BTW.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Aug 10, 2009 8:36 AM

Lynn,

thanks. I like this. I have toyed with seed beads but don't think I have the patience for them. I may have to reconsider.

Courtney

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Aug 10, 2009 10:52 AM

When I was at the AISA conference last year, I asked the instructor (Comanche), and his answer was the same as all the other American Indians have given me; "If it is to be used for ceremonial (religious) purposes, it is peyote stitch.  For any other use, it is gourd stitch.'  He also said that more and more,, the name 'gourd stitch' is being ignored.  (Some day, I may be able to ask one of the Dineh attending the conferencwe.)

If I decide to do it for my [pipestone] pipe, it will be Peyote stitch, as are the crosses I am making to wear with my alb, different colors for the seasons.  What little I do otherwise, I call Gourd stitch, even if it is flatwork.

When others receive it, I give the name according to its intended use.

btw, AISA is the 'American Indian Scouting Association'.  [ Find us at  http://www.americanindianscouting.com/  ]

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Aug 11, 2009 1:57 AM

Jeni, thanks for looking this up! So I think the not so common peyote/gourd stitch is a variation of the stitch most beaders know as peyote/gourd. It is still confusing, but it's ok. And I agree, the pieces on the linked site are beautiful!

Stan, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's always good to know about things, which are sacred for other people, so to hurt nobody in his believes/feelings.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Aug 15, 2009 6:25 PM

Hi,

A friend and I did some research on this very subject a few months ago.

My friend found a site with some great close up pics of gourd stitch. Can't find the links she found then but here are some I just found:

http://www.dulceyheller.com/wordpress/?s=gourd

and this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lc7196/2646565486/

Looks similar but different  to what we call peyote. We decided to use the method we know, love and stick to calling it peyote - grin.

Sandy

Down Under

Sandy

Down Under

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 57
Carole@102 wrote
on Aug 15, 2009 7:45 PM

A good website, actualy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Aug 15, 2009 11:56 PM

Ok, I think I've figured out what looks markedly different between gourd & peyote.  I was surfing around and found this PDF. It is an excerpt from "Beading In the Native American Tradition" by David Dean.  It's not the regular gourd/peyote stitch that's different, it's 3-drop gourd stitch, and the excerpt explains it quite well and has diagrams.  This might not be the sum total of the differences, but it explains what puzzled me about it at least.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS