Need advice on home jewelry parties

This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 2:32 AM

I need some opinions everybody:

I'm doing my first home jewelry party tonight with just my finished jewelry, and I'm printing up flyers for people to take with them in case someone else wants to book a party.

I would like to offer a choice of parties that people can do:  finished jewelry home or e-party, repair party (where people bring broken jewelry & I repair or restring it for them), or a create your own (necklace/bracelet/earring) party (where people pick out beads & I make the item).

What I'd like to know is: how should I do hostess incentives for repair & create your own parties?  I have a basic incentive plan in mind for a home or e-party (from the Home Jewelry Business Sucess Tips website), but I'm not sure how to translate that for other 2 since I wouldn't sell nearly as many things.  Those seem like more of a just for fun type of party, but I still want to offer some type of incentive for hosting it, you know?

The only thing I can think of is to bring some of my finished jewelry along to supplement sales, or to just offer the hostess a set amount of credit (maybe a certain amount per guest?).

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 4:17 AM

Well, just a couple of thoughts which you have probably already thought of, but anyway...

You could offer a free pair of earrings or bracelet if they book a party at this show. This would be in addition to any discounts they have etc when the show arrives. ( Might want to hang onto the piece until the date arrives and they actually have their party ). 

You can also offer something like anyone who shows to the party gets a ticket, if you bring a friend get a ticket, if they book a party get a ticket, then one ticket drawn at the end of the party for a prize ( discount, earrings, bracelet, whatever ). 

You could do something for the repairs like a % off the first repair. If they book a repair party, then they get a % off a purchase from a finished piece. For the repairs, they could get a ticket for each repair item. Could you figure out a way that they could bring pieces that they don't want and offer then a "trade in" value on one of your pieces? "Don't like that necklace that Grandma bought for you last year at Christmas, then bring it in to the party, trade it in and received 25% off a gorgeous piece" that way you can get some pieces to salvage. 

As far as the create your own, you could do something like Create your own necklace/bracelet design and get a pair of earrings to match free? You could offer the incentive to purchase some of your other pieces with a % discount. You could still use the same idea of the tickets with any party type. 

Anyway...that is about it for now. I will keep thinking though...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 4:58 AM

Those are some good ideas Sheila.  I especially like exchanging unwanted items for something new-that's a great one, and you could use that for any type of party really.

I put a note on the form to ask me for details, so hopefully I can hammer out an idea in case anyone actually asks.  I figured since this is a relatively small community having different party options might get more people interested in hosting, and keep people from being bored by the same old thing.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 6:01 AM

That is so true! It seems like people have the same type of candle, cookware, etc parties. UGH! 

Maybe you can offer difference incentive for each different type of party to encourage people to book more than one! 

They were my ideas really. Just experience from going to parties. I have gone to enough of them. If I think of anything else, I'll post it. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 6:20 AM

Jeni,

I would love to hear how it goes and what you decided to do.  I have had parties at my house but more along the "trunk show" lines.  I would love to hear what worked! And, above all, GOOD LUCK!

cb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 2:00 AM

Well, I didn't end up needing the flyers after all, but I'm still going to work on hashing out an alternate incentive payment for the other types of parties, even if it's just free jewelry for the hostess.

Last night was more of a success than I expected:  I made about $220, and have a necklace & earring set put aside for someone who didn't have enough money with them, so we'll see if it sells or not.  Probably will, because it's Zach's playmate's mom. :)

There were 3 "vendors", if you will:  me, a Pampered Chef gal and a Partylite gal and their tag along friends, none of whom I knew.  Aside from the hostess & my other friend, all the other guests ended up being Italian friends of the hostess.  They completely ignored the PC/PL girls but they swarmed all over my jewelry.  Every one of them bought something, and one gal came back for a couple of other things.  The hostess told me later she finished all her birthday shopping for the year.Big Smile

The PC/PL girls completely ignored the rest of us and stayed in their own little clique, then packed up & left because the weather was getting bad.  The 3 of us left cleaned up everything and then sat inside and chatted for a while while the hostess picked out what she wanted.  Both of them said they for sure want to have other parties with me, and the hostess was pretty disappointed that more people didn't show up, but I was happy!  That was about $30 more than I made all day on the 4th of July, and a bit less than half what I made in 3 days at the spring bazaar.  Who am I to complain?

Jeni

Oklahoma City

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 4:38 AM

Congrats! YEAH! See this will give you time to hash out all of your ideas and get a set plan. Have you thought of an "Open House" idea closer to Christmas? Those are popular around here.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 7:41 AM

Cangradulations! It sounds like it was worth the trouble.

I would never have thought of printing flyers to entice future Hostesses.(Great Idea!)

I like the idea of a party, with trade in your "unloved" pieces, with a % off of the purchase piece. Or make your own Bracelet Party sounds like fun too.

Thanks for Sharing,

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 8:43 AM

Wow, good Jeni!  I'm glad to hear it went that well. 

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Jul 18, 2009 8:53 AM

That's just great!  How long was it -- an hour or two?  That should be about what you'd need for a simple "Make Your Own Bracelet" party.

JSmaz:
even if it's just free jewelry for the hostess.

Sounds like the easiest way, at least for now.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 10:58 AM

Oh Jeni!  I only just found this thread!

Congrats on the success of your jewelry party!  It is making me get excited about having my own - and I probably shouldn't wait until September like I previously was going to do. 

I am going to follow this thread that you started because I have some of these same questions. 

Sheila, those were great ideas!  I'm happy you posted them!

A gal at work has been bugging me to do a jewelry party where people can pick out what beads they'd like used in a custom piece.  To me this sounds like a lot of work.  I'd have ato lay out my vast stash of beads and write down descriptions.  It sounds like a lot more work than I want to do.  Not only that, but I enjoy my money-making hobby more when I can take my time making jewelry items as opposed to "taking orders".  I don't know - maybe I'll change my mind after this thread you started generates more ideas.

I'll have to check out the site you mentioned in your original post about home jewelry businesses.  I will probably learn something from it. 

Once again, congrats on your party's success!  Stick out tongue

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 11:08 AM

Congrats Jeni!!  What a good idea - the jewelry party.  That sounds like fun.  Hmmmm - giving me some ideas.  But with 2 elementary school-aged children, one with a learning disability, and working full time, it would be a while before I could do anything

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 11:51 AM

Sherri - You wouldn't have to lay out all your beads. Maybe just a few. I would concentrate more on the aspect of the design. Maybe have a questionnaire printed up like:

1.  Favorite Color(s),

2. Design Style: A. Large and Chunky or

B. Small and Dainty designs

3. Do you dress up or a jeans/t-shirt person

You can have a spot on this for allergies, length of necklace, earrings, bracelet and any special preferences such as lobster clasps only, etc etc

You get the idea. Then using their ideas, design the piece. Maybe just have a few focal pieces that they can choose from. You can pull the other pieces from those. You can always bring just a few for color information. That is what I did for a person that I designed some for as gifts.

Just a thought... 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 40
on Jul 19, 2009 12:00 PM

What is a good amount of people to invite to these parties?

Share your love with the world. This should be your mission in life! Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,788
Cathy wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 12:11 PM

Good idea Sheila - the sheet with the questions on colors, style, etc.

Cathy

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"What matters in life is not great deeds, but great love." - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

"The laughter of a child is the light of a house" - unknown

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS