tear drop shaped hoop earrings???

This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Spider@5 wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 3:51 PM
Hi, How do I make tear shaped hoop earrings? Are there tear shaped mandrels for making them? I have just looked around online under supplies but I can't find anything with that shape. Is it possible to make them without a mandrel? If so, how can i find tutorials about it? Thank you very much for any help/advice best wishes anna
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 4:13 PM

Spider:
How do I make tear shaped hoop earrings?

You don't have to have a mandrel to make them. You can use just about anything with a mandrel shape to form the hoops. I used a spool of thread, the casing that is left after the thread is gone to make a pair. If you find something similar in shape it will work the same way. The round end of a hair brush, fat marker, anything that has that shape.

When you find something that will work, take your wire at the midpoint and place it on the "mandrel". Bring the wires toward each other until you have the size you want your tear drop to be. You will end up crossing the wires while doing this. After you have the size you want, where your wires cross, grab one wire and bend it at a 90 degree angle, while the other wire should stay straight up. Then begin to wire wrap the bent wire around the wire that is straight. After a couple wraps, snip the wire flush. With the wire that is still straight, begin making a wrapped loop until it meets the first wraps you made, then snip it off.

Hope this helps!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Spider@5 wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 5:03 PM
Hi, thank you very much for your message. That helps a lot!!! Now, I have a more challenging question for you. How do you make a leaf shaped one? I hope you don't mind my bothering you with so many questions! thank you again, all the best anna
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 8:12 PM

Ok I've never done a leaf shaped one but I'll try to process the thought here but it also kind of depends on what type of leaf shape you are looking for.

For just a simple leaf shape (meaning without the ridges on the outside,just the basic form) this is what I would try-

Start again midwire with a much smaller "mandrel". Something the size of a crochet hook would probably work well or a thin pen or pencil, or even a pair of scissors that are closed to make the point of the leaf. Place the wire on your mandrel and bend towards each other to create your leaf point. Your wire would then be in a soft V shape. Then I would soften the wires on each side a bit with my thumbs to start curving them towards the top. Now if you wanted a "dip" on one side of the leaf, I would press in on the wire towards the bottom. When you are done shaping your leaf with your thumbs to form it exactly the shape you want it, you can finish your wires at the top as I described in the hoops.

I hope I explained it well enough. I can visualize it but typing it out is a little different.

Another thing you can try if my instructions aren't helping, and this may be easier anyway, is to draw out the leaf shape you want on paper with a black marker. Then using your round nose pliers, start at the bottom of the leaf where you would make the V. Hold it there in that position and start manipulating the wire with your thumb and pointer finger until it starts taking the shape you created on your paper. Basically you just follow your guideline you made and work the wire with your fingers, then once again finish the top.

Now if you want the veins in the leaf you can use a smaller gauge wire either twisted or not and wrap it at the top of the leaf and work your way down the center to the point of the leaf. Then you can add more veins from your center vein and wrap them on the sides of the leaf.

Hope this is making sense here.

Hopefully Pam will read this post in the morning and she will probably be able to help better with the leaf form. I think she's made them before and she's better with wire than I as I am still learning a lot.

Pam are you around? We need your help?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Spider@5 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 10:13 AM
Hi Cat, thank you very much for your help. Your explanations make lots of sense. I will try them and I can see they will work well. thank you again.:o) anna
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 10:21 AM

No problem, that's what we're here for. Ask anytime and hopefully someone here can help. Might want to check back later and see if Pam responds here too. She's much better than I am at this stuff so she may be able to add something more. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 3:16 PM

Cat, your ideas and directions are very good, I'd do the same things. 

The only thing I would suggest is that when you want to bend the wire at the midpoint to make a point for the leaf you can of course use your round nose pliers at the very tip of them.  Using anything round to make a bigger curve is good.    

If you want to make more than a couple of these you could nail some spools down onto a piece of wood with a small nail in an appropriate place for the tip and one to cross the wires over at the top, and just wrap the wire around those, in essence making a small jig. 

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 8:28 PM

Oh good, there you are Pam! I was hoping you would get to this one cause I wanted to make sure I gave good enough instructions, and of course anything you could add to make it better. Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Spider@5 wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 7:16 PM
thank you very much for your help Cat and Pam. the explanations are really useful. thank you again:o) anna
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 9:16 PM

Thanks for Asking the Question. I am a new beader, and I have a love for wire work. I am just learning(baby steps) to do some wire work.

What gauage wire would one use to make the Hoops? you all have described?

Thanks Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 10:04 PM

Gyspy Mary:

What gauage wire would one use to make the Hoops? you all have described?

Mary I'm still a beginner with wire as well and I love it! I would use 18 or 20 gauge wire for the hoops. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 40
on Jul 12, 2009 12:56 PM

What type of wire should be used for this project? Sterling silver?

Rose

Share your love with the world. This should be your mission in life! Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 1:15 PM

Sunshine Dancer:

What type of wire should be used for this project? Sterling silver?

Rose

Really what ever kind of wire you want. Brass, sterling, gold filled, copper, colored copper wire. The only thing with the colored wire is you have to be careful not to mar it or the color coating will come off and show copper through it should you decide to use that.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS