Want to learn a new stitch together? Join us!

This post has 92 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 16, 2009 10:07 PM

Oh sweet, Pam! I'm looking forward to see how it works for you. My chain is still only one inch long, as I'm working on some other projects: an eagle amulet, a second flower challenge piece, a sea-themed bracelet, earrings, a brooch............ok, I stop! I didn't know that there are so many WIPs.......Embarrassed

Have fun with the slinky chain!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 3:49 AM

Dagi, you're making me laugh, that's what I do, too many things all at once! 

I do have one question, how did you determine how big a dowel or knitting needle to use or did you just add enough beads to go around the one you have?  I have knitting needles but no size 1 or any 2mm dowels either.  Three beads around sounds very small to me... 

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 4:22 AM

I started with a 4mm knitting needle and a six sided chain, but then I realized that the needle was too thin and the tension wasn't right. So I switched to a 6mm needle. 2mm is maybe a bit more than a toothpick and seems very small to me, too. But with only three beads. Who knows? For me it was a bit difficult to estimate what dowel I should take, not that easy as for African Helix or peyote.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 4:52 AM

I've never tried inserting a needle into a bead before breaking it -- will do that next time.  Needles are only $0.10 each, so if it breaks the needle, too, it's no big loss.  Plus, I'll be sure to use an old bent-up one.

There are 2 methods of breaking beads that seem to have a better chance of keeping the thread intact:  (1) Use the very tips of your chain-nose pliers and only grasp the side of the bead.  (2) If the bead is small, Insert a safety pin or t-pin in the hole, breaking the bead from the inside out.

Does anyone know of another, maybe better way?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 10:53 AM

Well, here's my initial fumbling attempt at slinky chain, LOL.  Not quite!  For starters I made it a five sided thing and somehow it turned itself into a four sided thing.  I had a hard time starting it, it wants to wiggle all over the place.  I got the thread wrapped around the third instead of the second bead more than once.  And I don't know why the beads don't lie evenly, maybe it's the beads, more likely it's my tension and who knows what else I'm doing. 

I think I'm going to start over using the same beads and be more careful to do it right.  If that doesn't work I'll try different beads. 

Anyway, here's the end result...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 12:14 AM

Pam, looks like yours turned out better than mine!  I've decided that the cause of beads not lying evenly is differently sized beads.  For my next attempt, I'm going to be sure that they're as close to the same size as I can manage.  Plus, I tend to stitch with fairly tight tension.  Maybe I need to ease up a bit...

Anyway, love those colors!  I know it's just for practice, but they're pretty together.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 12:18 AM

Hi,Thanks, for sharing the photo and the New Stitch. I love these colors.

I got my Zulu Beadwork book, on Friday. I can't wait to start my Slinky Chain.

I just hope mine looks this good.:)

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,019
ingrid@38 wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 12:32 AM

Inca:

YEAHY
I googled that book .... and found it in a webshop .... IN NORWAY ....

MINE!
(yes I ordered it)

Could you please tell me where you got it? Smile

Ingrid

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ingridwang69

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jul 19, 2009 4:55 AM

ingrid:
Could you please tell me where you got it? Smile

sent you an email =)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 19, 2009 5:15 AM

Lisa:
Pam, looks like yours turned out better than mine!  I've decided that the cause of beads not lying evenly is differently sized beads.  For my next attempt, I'm going to be sure that they're as close to the same size as I can manage.  Plus, I tend to stitch with fairly tight tension.  Maybe I need to ease up a bit...

Anyway, love those colors!  I know it's just for practice, but they're pretty together.

Thanks Lisa, but in person this little practice piece looks like, uh, shall we say, well, not good.  It made me laugh though.  My, it feels like I'm a beginner again!  I stitch tightly too, but I tried to loosen up the last couple of rows there and it just didn't want to go well.  It flopped some more and I got the thread around the wrong beads again so I took it out and tried it again in my regular tension.  Still not great.  I think you may be quite right about the size of the beads, which means I'm going to have to find other colors.  I wish I didn't have to do that because I like those colors too.  Maybe I'll make something else out of those...

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Jul 20, 2009 12:04 PM

Looks like learning the stitch together was a good idea! Anyway, thought y'all might like to see a piece of REAL zulu beading... I bought this piece when I was in South Africa, from a shop that sells beaded pieces made by the women in the Zulu tribe of the area...

Zulu by you.

Zulu by you.

Lois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 20, 2009 1:37 PM

Lois, thank you!!!! That's just incredible!!! How beautiful! 

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 21, 2009 2:36 AM

Pam, I wonder, if your beads would work if you change places for them. Use the silverlined ones for the inner beads and the light greens for the outer lines. Just a thought! And I think it was really a good idea to learn this stitch together. Seems to be a bit tricky.

Lois, this is a beautiful piece and exactly the kind o beadwork I admire and love. Love those pieces with the long fringe that moves while the wearer walks or dances. Beautiful!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 21, 2009 3:59 AM

Dagi, that's what I did.  The light green ones are the middle bead and the silverlined are the two side beads.  But at this point I'm just going to pack it up and not work on it anymore until I've moved.  I still need to finish the bracelet for the swap due Friday and I have Jeni's challenge, the earring swap and the bead swap.  After I'm done with all those I'm done until I'm moved and settled.  Yes, this stitch is deceptively simple but not all that easy to do...

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 21, 2009 4:19 AM

OK, but I just meant it vice versa. See my other post.

So I wish you good luck with packing everything up and I hope you settle in fast.

Page 6 of 7 (93 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next > | RSS