Want to learn a new stitch together? Join us!

This post has 92 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 8:36 PM

Thanks, Pam,

It looks like a tubular Herringbone? I learn to do that one today. (it took me all day:). I got Two pieces started, so I know how to start.Forgot to learn how to finish.LOL

I am Fearless, about learning new things, thats why DH says,"No driving his RV, stick to Beading",LOL

I appreciate the encouraging words.

Gyspy Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 8:54 PM

Hi, I wondered If the" slinky chain" pg 63 says, "What stitch it is?" Just wondering?

Gyspy Mary

Gyspy Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 5:29 AM

Mary, I'm not sure what you mean, but the directions for the stitch are on page 63 and 64.

Pam

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 6:56 AM

Thanks, Pam, Yesterday, I learned "Tubular Herringbone", I took another look at the Pic,It doesn't look like the Stitch on this forum. I can't get inside to see pg 63,64, because" It says it requires a previous purchase." I will check out the Library, this Afternoon.

I am enjoying reading all the post, can't wait to get my hands on the instruction,(also pictures I hope).Thanks for everyone for sharing.

Gyspy  Mary

Gyspy Mary

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 7:15 AM

A Ton of Thanks, I did go to BD, for the African Helix.I think I got it, now  to make a couple of starters, to be sure. I will be more  careful with tension as well as bead count on each row.Embarrassed I can see my mistake on my last attemp.

I can't believe, I waited so long to chime in on the BD Forums, I am learning Thanks everyone.

Gyspy Mary

Gyspy Mary

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 2:29 PM

Gypsy Mary, I'm glad you've got the African Helix worked out.  It's a bit tricky sometimes -- you have to be sure you're going under the thread bridge the right way -- if not, the "ibs" don't stick out from the "rungs".

Gyspy Mary:

I can't believe, I waited so long to chime in on the BD Forums, I am learning Thanks everyone.

You know, I found exactly the same thing!  So glad you've joined us!!! Wilted Flower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 6:16 PM

Well, I haven't gotten back to my Slinky Chain yet, but on Tuesday I played around with a variation on Ecuadorian Saraguro stitch that I had previously overlooked in the very back of Seed Bead Savvy from Bead&Button.  I used 10/0 triangles, as the pattern recommends, but will use rocailles next time for smoother curves.  Seems like the triangles, even though they are Miyuki rounded triangles, produce a bumpy shape that distracts from the shape of the stitch.  I'm a big fan of beadwork that doesn't have to be set down in between stitches, like peyote and herringbone.  The Saraguro bracelet required frequent setting down so that I could guide the thread to settle between the correct beads.  Fortunately, though, you pick up 4 - 8 beads per stitch, so it worked up fairly quickly anyway.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a clasp with me when I started the bracelet, so I just started with a ring of beads, figuring I could unweave the beginning thread and add the clasp button later.  Last night, as I was nearing the end of the bracelet, I focused my attention back on the beginning ring of beads, and sure enough, I needed fewer beads that were there.  And I was mistaken in my assumption that I could unweave that beginning thread to remove them.  So I tried breaking the beads, as I really, really didn't want as many as were there.  That's right, you guessed it, the first bead I broke cut through the thread. Super Angry

Then I tried to unweave a bit of the bracelet so I could secure the thread, figuring I'd just add another couple rows at the end.  This stitch doesn't work that way.  I ended up pulling apart half the bracelet, and still my threads weren't secure.  So I got a bit frustrated and attacked the rest of the bracelet with my scissors. Embarrassed  Christine just sat there with her jaw hanging open and said, "Mom, that was SO violent!".  Well, far as I'm concerned, that blasted bracelet got just what it deserved! 

In the end, I'm glad I tried Saraguro netting, as I've been wanting to.  I'll likely try it again with 2 changes:  (1) plan ahead better clasp-wise, and (2) switch to regular rocailles seed beads for cleaner curves.  Oh, and maybe take a chill pill first!  Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 12:15 AM

Lisa:
Well, far as I'm concerned, that blasted bracelet got just what it deserved! 

Oh yes, it really got what it deserved! Wink Yeah, sometimes beadwork drives me nuts, too, especially when it doesn't work out the way I want (or thought).

Some beadwork looks better with delicas or other regular shapes beads and some with rocailles. It really depends on the stitch. I downloaded a Saraguro tut a while ago and really want to try it, but at the moment I'm embroidering a brooch (my first!) and really like it so far. No progress on my slinky chain either. Oh yes, and there is a sea-themed bracelet in progress, too (no, not for the swap!).

So good luck for the next try on Saraguro, Lisa!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jul 9, 2009 12:25 AM

BAH - I havent gotten my book yet ...
They said 7-21 days delivery ... its been 16 ... So I guess they are going to make me wait the full ammount of days ...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 12:38 AM

Inca:

BAH - I havent gotten my book yet ...
They said 7-21 days delivery ... its been 16 ... So I guess they are going to make me wait the full ammount of days ...

Oh no! That's sad, Inca! I hope you get it soon!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 7:44 AM

Lisa:
So I tried breaking the beads, as I really, really didn't want as many as were there.  That's right, you guessed it, the first bead I broke cut through the thread. Super Angry

Then I tried to unweave a bit of the bracelet so I could secure the thread, figuring I'd just add another couple rows at the end.  This stitch doesn't work that way.  I ended up pulling apart half the bracelet, and still my threads weren't secure.  So I got a bit frustrated and attacked the rest of the bracelet with my scissors. 

Lisa, omg, been there, done that!      Not with saraguro, but others.  That's too bad!

I haven't made any progress at all with this stitch so far.  I'm working on the bracelet, the earrings, one more thing...along with everyday life.  But I'm getting antsy to try it.....

Pam 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 7:49 AM

Ah Ha, I am not the only one "Who re-designs a piece with scissors".Thanks, for sharing.

Now i want to go to google and find "Saraguro Netting". I love doing the simple Netting .

Thanks, for sharing,

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 7:52 AM

ps.someone told me to, "put a needle in the bead, before I break it", (Also, cover it with a cloth, to catch flying glass). It keeps the broken bead from cutting the thread.

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jul 9, 2009 9:31 AM

Gyspy Mary:
Now i want to go to google and find "Saraguro Netting".

Search on BD, or here is a site I visited (not a link):

http://weirdchick43.deviantart.com/art/How-To-Saraguro-Pattern-106914010

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jul 9, 2009 11:10 AM

CrystalCubeBead.:
Gyspy Mary:
Now i want to go to google and find "Saraguro Netting".
Search on BD, or here is a site I visited (not a link):

http://weirdchick43.deviantart.com/art/How-To-Saraguro-Pattern-106914010

Here is another version, http://judith27k.blogspot.com/2008/04/14408-hojas-bracelet-tuto-and-versions.html.

Page 4 of 7 (93 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS