Want to learn a new stitch together? Join us!

This post has 92 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 5:43 AM

Ha, thanks! Now they're bigger. You must have changed them the moment I wrote my post.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 6:03 AM

In the last pic, where the sides with the green/yellowish beads can be seen, it really looks like a tension problem. As you can see the black beads don't sit together neatly. And that's a must. A heavy waxed thread will help, I think. And a chopstick not too big in size or you will have problems pulling the thread tight enough. Also press the beads from the previous step with your finger to the chopstick while pulling the thread tight.

In the first pic the black beads sit nicely together, but the colored beads really look over-crowded. I had these effect when I took colored beads, that are slightly bigger than the others and were too big for their place . When I changed it for a smaller one, the over-crowded effect was gone. Yes, I admit that I use cheap Czech seedbeads and that I don't cull them, but you always find the "right" bead for a certain place. And that's perfect for my Native beadwork!

Another problem can be if the black beads are smaller than the colored ones. Are they from the same manufacturer? If the black beads are too small, they are not able to reach around the coloured ones. Does that make sense?

And for the stiffness: don't worry. Flexibility comes increases with the length of the work. It's the same when you stitch an African Helix.

When I get home tonight, I'll post pics of my first inch. Maybe that helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 9:36 AM

Christine, I just saw your post, OMG that's funny!  So if you buy a book from Amazon it goes from three block away from your house to the post office a few miles away, then to the post office somewhere else in the state to be sorted, then sent back to your town post office, then to you....

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 10:03 AM

LISA!!!!   

Lisa bought me the book!!!!!! And Beadwork Creates Bracelets too....THANK YOU LISA!!!!

OMG I'm out of here for awhile, I have some reading to do!!! 

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jul 1, 2009 12:35 PM

Pam:
LISA!!!!   

Lisa bought me the book!!!!!! And Beadwork Creates Bracelets too....THANK YOU LISA!!!!

OMG I'm out of here for awhile, I have some reading to do!!! 

Pam 

Grats on your new books =)

Hopefully mine is here soon too, its 7 days today since I ordered and it said a 7-21 days delivery...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,242
on Jul 1, 2009 12:37 PM

As for the question about tension or not - the pics dont really make sense to me, hopefully they will when I get the book.

Tho I know when I make anything in tubelar I seem to tend to have to much tension cause they dont bend at all ...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
on Jul 1, 2009 1:36 PM

Pam...the worst part...it actually goes to Salt Lake City Utah first....lol....that is the sad thing about it. I could walk over and mug the UPS driver quicker...

Christine

http://BeadedIndulgences.etsy.com

http://BeadedIndulgences.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 2:55 PM

ChristineT:
 Pam...the worst part...it actually goes to Salt Lake City Utah first....lol....that is the sad thing about it. I could walk over and mug the UPS driver quicker...
Now that's not a really good idea Christine, LOL!  

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 2:57 PM

Inca:

Hopefully mine is here soon too, its 7 days today since I ordered and it said a 7-21 days delivery...
I hope it gets to you soon too Inca...

Pam

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 5:03 PM

Dagmar,

Thanks for the advice!  Some answers/comments:

Kokopelli Design:
A heavy waxed thread will help, I think

I usually use Thread Heaven, only resort to beeswax when I'm forced to use a doubled thread, which I avoid if possible.  But I don't understand how a heavily waxed thread will help.  My tension is already pretty tight.  If anything, I suspect it's too tight.

Kokopelli Design:
a chopstick not too big in size or you will have problems pulling the thread tight enough.

I've been wondering how to figure out the right size stick, and last night as I was trying to fall asleep, it ocurred to me that I could use an easy proportion to compute the right size.  The book recommends a 2mm stick when stitching 3 sides.  My tube has 7 sides so the correct size should be 2 / 3 x 7 = 4.67mm diameter stick.  My chopstick is 4.84mm, so I'm pretty darn close if that computation is correct.  The beadwork is snug, but not tight, on the stick.

Kokopelli Design:
Also press the beads from the previous step with your finger to the chopstick while pulling the thread tight.

I've been doing that.

Kokopelli Design:
In the first pic the black beads sit nicely together, but the colored beads really look over-crowded. I had these effect when I took colored beads, that are slightly bigger than the others and were too big for their place . When I changed it for a smaller one, the over-crowded effect was gone.

You may have hit upon the problem.  All of the beads are Miyuki except for the orange and blue, which are Toho (and typically are a hair smaller than Miyuki).  But even among the Miyuki shades, which are the most evenly sized available, the individual colors and finishes vary slightly in size.  The pink and purple are probably the smallest Miyuki's of the bunch, and the black and yellow are probably the largest.  About half of the columns of black beads line up nicely and about half don't.

Speaking of the columns of black beads, remember first that my choice was a black bead, a bright, and a black for each stitch.  In your tube, does the last bead in each stitch sit slightly raised from the first bead in the next stitch?  If you look closely at the surface texture of my tube, you can almost see ribs running lengthwise, formed from the last bead in each stitch.

Kokopelli Design:
And for the stiffness: don't worry. Flexibility comes increases with the length of the work. It's the same when you stitch an African Helix.

OK, I'll trust you on that.  I'm going to swap out the Toho beads and smaller Miyuki beads for larger Miyuki, and then keep going.  After I stitch another inch or so, we'll see how it feels.

One other thing, did you sew under the thread in the previous row, and then up through the first bead in the next stitch in the previous row, all in one motion?  At the beginning, I used 2 separate motions, then for most of the tube, I used 1 motion, then near the end, I went back to 2 separate motions in case that was causing the problem (I don't think so).

Thanks again for the advice!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 5:37 PM

Pam:

LISA!!!!   

Pam, you're very welcome!  Love that dancing smiley!  I hope you enjoy the bracelets book, too.  If you already have it, feel free to pass it along with a friend.  I've made the Three Step Bracelet on page 87 four or five times already.  It works up quickly and has a real nice texture, that's not evident in the photos.  Enjoy! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 8:55 PM

I will try it, if I can find the book. I wasted an entire day, trying to master the "African Helix",which is also tubular. only mine wasn't flat or tubular. It was lumpySuper Angry I cut it apart and said to myself, "self learn it later"Confused. I just read the original post. It sounds like fun.

So many new ideas and only 24 hours in a day.

Thanks Gyspy Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 1:05 AM

Lisa:
My tension is already pretty tight.  If anything, I suspect it's too tight.

OK, I thought the tension was too loose, so waxing the thread was my advice. The black beads in the pic looked like the tension was too loose. But now I see in my pic that the beads don't have to sit to tight together. Sorry for that!

Lisa:
I've been wondering how to figure out the right size stick

My tube has 6 sides and I use a 6mm knitting needle. I'm working with 11/0 seeds. On a 4mm needle the beadwork sits to loose, I didn't have a 5mm needle and so I took 6mm. It sits tight on the needle and I have to pull the thread real tight to get the beads sit right and keep the tension. So maybe a bigger stick would solve your tension probs.

Lisa:
In your tube, does the last bead in each stitch sit slightly raised from the first bead in the next stitch?

Yes, it does. That's correct. See the pic below.

Lisa:

Kokopelli Design:

OK, I'll trust you on that.

I can not guarantee it with that stitch, but I did African Helix and the first inches were stiff and it only turns flexible if long enough. I also made a wrapped rope nacklace. Over this length it is soft and flexible, but you can't bend it too far. A bracelet with this thick rope wouldn't be possible. For bracelets the rope should be of a smaller diameter. So I hope the slinky chain will become flexible and soft earlier, as I like to make a bracelet. Let's see.

Lisa:
One other thing, did you sew under the thread in the previous row, and then up through the first bead in the next stitch in the previous row, all in one motion?  At the beginning, I used 2 separate motions, then for most of the tube, I used 1 motion, then near the end, I went back to 2 separate motions in case that was causing the problem (I don't think so).

The first few rounds I made two motions, but then turned to one, because it works faster. But I have to be very careful not to stitch through the thread when making only one motion. Sometimes the thread gets in the way. But I don't think that this is causing your problems.

Lisa:
the individual colors and finishes vary slightly in size. 

Where does this come from? I do not own any Miyuki or Toho beads except Delicas, but I noticed that in my seed beads, too, even if they are all from the same manufacturer. Is it a matter of color (because of different additions to the glass to achieve the color), finish, manufacturing lot?

And you see I have a size problem, too. Especially in the red column in the pic you can see that they alternate a bit and look over-crowded.

I think that this was a very good idea to learn the stitch together, so we can talk about problems occuring along the way.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 1:20 AM

Pam, WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! So that means you can join us now? Big Smile

Inca, I hope you get your book soon!

Mary, would be fun if you join this. And don't worry about the helix. Did you try the BD photo tutorial that was posted on the blog earlier this year?

Christine, maybe you can talk to the UPS driver in a friendly manner, that you're a beader in serious pain, waiting for a very important beading book, you have to join friends for a project, which absolutely can't wait.........or I'll come over and help you mugging him. And see what additional beading books he got in his truck.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,191
Pam I am wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 2:05 PM

Gyspy Mary:
 "self learn it later"Confused. I just read the original post. It sounds like fun.  So many new ideas and only 24 hours in a day.
 Mary, I asked the library to get it for me inter-library loan before I got the copy Lisa bought me, I bet they could do that for you too, especially since I'm not going to take it out after all!  Then you could join us here and learn this stitch instead while the rest of us do...Dagi and Lisa are working out a whole bunch of kinks and problems with this and it's great to have the experience building like this...

Pam

Page 3 of 7 (93 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS