Idea for submission

This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 24, 2009 8:25 AM

Okay, so I am going to take the big plunge and work up an idea for Stringing magazine. I would love to submit idea this for a possible project. But, how do I do that? I have e-mailed them but with the holiday, I don't know how long before I get a response.

Has anyone submitted a project to them yet? I know that I will have to submit instructions and photos. Do I submit everything at once? Do I just submit it to the regular e-mail address?

Thanks for any helpful hints! I appreciate it! 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on May 24, 2009 3:20 PM

First, YAY for you! I've only submitted one project myself and I"m still waiting to hear! Here is the website that tells you what to do. http://www.stringingmagazine.com/stringing-guidelines.pdf

I highly recommend submitting the photo via email if you can meet the early submission deadline, as then they can tell you if they're just not interested and you don't have to spend all the time and money writing instructions and mailing the project. Also, be sure you know what the winter mag's theme is so you can choose your beads accordingly!

Good luck, and let me know if you need anyone to help proof your instructions! I had Pam help me with mine and she found an error in my sequence for me.

Lois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 24, 2009 6:36 PM

Thanks Lois! I looked at their site but didn't see anything. I am going to submit the new stretch cuff bracelet. Now I just have to think up a better name?!? For the winter it is sophisticated, jewel tones, sparkle. I will have to think of another color combo that will work. I already have an idea forming in my mind.

Thanks again Lois and I may just take you up on your offer!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on May 25, 2009 7:25 AM

I think the name will come to you when you get the final bead combination! I thought I'd direct you to these beads http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H209908CL as a possible option for you. THey're kinda expensive, but I have some in crystal clear and saphire blue and they are really fun to work with! They end up looking quite art deco. You might cosider finding the saphire (the cheapest color I have found) and combining it with hematite... I did a bracelet with that combination and it's one of my favorites! I will post a photo below so you can see it. Sorry, those double cone beads have been calling out to me since I first saw your bracelet design! So I just thought I'd share!

100_4388 by you.

And I meant it when I said I am happy to help proof for you! When I wrote my instructions, I had a stringing mag in front of me and I was reading a project that was multi strand like my own project as a guide for my own steps.

Lois

wrote
on May 25, 2009 7:32 AM

I can't really help you with submission guidelines, but I wish you good luck, and hope you get accepted!  If you need a project tester I could certainly help with that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 25, 2009 9:39 AM

Lois - I had already ordered the goldstone black beads in different shapes to make one for my mom. So when I read the guildines, I immediately thought of a blue or a pink to go for the "jewel" tone aspect of the theme.

I am always partial to blue so that is always my first pick! Plus hubby's birthday is September so Sapphire is an easy choice. Son's birthday is December so Blue Topaz. How funny since blue has always been my favorite!

Your bracelets are gorgeous and I love those blue beads! They definitely would call my name as well! lol!

Lois & Jeni - I will probably take you both up on your offers. Once I get my order of beads, I am going to make one to fit the guidelines for the submission. If they say no thanks, mom gets her bracelet quicker. If they accept it, I'll just make her another one!

Thanks again for your help, support and encouragement! This is a huge step for me.

wrote
on May 25, 2009 9:48 AM

Ooh, I can just imagine that in blue goldstone-how pretty!  Can't wait to see that one.  Just let me know if I can help & I'll be glad to try.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 620
Erin@76 wrote
on May 25, 2009 9:51 AM

Hi Sheila,

If you are submitting a bracelet or earrings, you don't have to write instructions. They only need intructions if its a necklace. Just take a clear photo and email it to them like lois said. They'll get back to you pretty quickly letting you know if they are interested. If they are, all you have to do is send in the piece with a list of the materials list and suppliers. no instructions necessary. You have until June 30th to make the winter issue submission deadline. Good luck!

Lois--I haven't head anything back from Stringing on the piece I submitted for the fall issue, either. I don't know if thats good news or bad.

Erin

www.studioEgallery.etsy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on May 25, 2009 10:16 AM

I have no info to add but wanted to say Good Luck on submitting your piece! Hope it gets in. Smile

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on May 25, 2009 1:45 PM

Erin-- yeah, I'm hoping it means good news! And I noticed they have started featureing step-by-step instructions for a FEW bracelets, ones that are more complex in design, so maybe they've changed. The guidlines say necklace and bracelets with instructions. WHo knows!

Sheila, ooooohhhh that WOULD be great done in the black goldstone! I never would have thought of it, but it would be a good choice! 

Lois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 27, 2009 4:18 AM

Thanks everyone! I was thinking with the black goldstone ( since the gold is so tiny you really don't see it ) anyway, I was thinking either a light bright blue or even a emerald green color. Something that would go well with the black. Debating silver or copper spacers...I will try both and see which I prefer. Any thoughts...

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on May 27, 2009 5:58 AM

Hmmm..... well, what about a light violet or light amythist color? Silver OR copper would work, I guess you'll have to decide on the secondary color and then see which metal tone looks best! OH OH OH! Or FUSHIA! ALways looks so great with black or even navey blue, just makes it POP! Sorry, Fuschia is one of my favorite swaro colors

Lois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on May 28, 2009 11:09 AM

I have some navy blue goldstone in 6mm and 8mm rounds as well as some black and brown in 8mm rounds. I got them for $6 a 16" hank last summer. I used a few of them, then they got stashed away and I just found them again. Moving into my studio(Studio Z of Dragonfly Designs), I have found a lot of things I had forgotten.

Anyhoo, back to the subject, black goldstone looks stunning with some thin gold spacers, something clear, and gold findings for a classier look. I'd go with a little bit wider silver spacers, cracked clear quartz beads, and silver findings for a more casual appeal. Of course, this is my own personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth, about 2 bits.

Billy ;o) 

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on May 28, 2009 4:41 PM

Thanks for the input! I was hoping for something that I had not thought of so you have definitely given me something to think about!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS