Flower-Inspired Beading Challenge

This post has 217 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 14
kyrabeader wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 2:58 PM

I would love to enter this contest! I have been thinking of a spring/flower themed bracelet for months!

~Kyra

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Jul 15, 2009 9:33 PM

I had originally planned on making 2 pieces but the Flower Challenge and Use The Muse contest entry dates were the same so I only got one completed and entered it Sunday (crossing fingers)

And good luck to everyone else that enters too!

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 10:23 PM

I still haven't touched a thing for the flower challenge and at this point don't think I will have time. If I do make something I don't even know if it will be worthy enough cause it would have to be something super quick!

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 11:35 PM

Cat :
If I do make something I don't even know if it will be worthy enough cause it would have to be something super quick!

Cat, please try to enter something! I don't think it wouldn't be worthy enough. I also thought I won't have the time to do a second piece, but now I got a bead order with this pendant. Laid the piece out this morning and will assemble it tonight. I hope it works how I think. Sometimes the quick pieces are the  best!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 11:38 PM

I finally got inspired to make a necklace out of a flower pendant I bought ages ago, but it's not going to be done in time to submit a 2nd entry for this one.  I'll post it when I'm done though, because so far it's turning out really well.

I'll show you my inspiration pic though:

This is a pasque flower.  I saw a picture of one in a restaurant we were in recently, and I had to google it to figure out what it was.  "Pasque" or "pasquale" means Easter, at least in Italian.  I haven't actually seen any growing here, but I think I may look in the garden shops and see if I can find some seeds/bulbs, whichever it is.  I think they're lovely, and you don't see 7-petaled flowers all that often.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 11:58 PM

Jeni, this is a fantastic pic and a beautiful flower! Love the color!

But please be careful if you get yourself some of these flowers, as they are highly toxic. And please try to get them in a nursery or garden centre as they are already extincted in some areas of Europe and are therefore strictly protected.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jul 16, 2009 5:34 AM

Wow, thanks for telling me that!  I read an article about them but it didn't say anything about them being toxic or close to extinct.  I haven't seen any growing around here in truth, just the one pic on the wall of the restaurant.  I thought it unusual because of the 7 petals and the purple in the center which opens up like a 2nd tiny flower.

Perhaps I'll re-think that since Zach loves to go outside and pick flowers.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 16, 2009 6:18 AM

When I saw your picture I thought I remembered that from school, but wasn't sure. I checked it online and I was right. Here in Germany you see these flowers (they're called "Kuhschelle" here due to their shape, which translates to "cow bell") very often for sale in garden centers. 7 petals is really unusual. I just thought I tell you about it, as Zack maybe is too young to understand that some flowers are toxic (the wikipedia article mentions it, I think). Not all subspecies of these flowers are close to extinct, but some are on the Red List.

My parents cultivate some very nice Brugmansias and Daturas and I think we all have to have an eye on my niece when she starts to crawl. But my parents already had these flowers when my brother and me were kids, so I think it'll be ok. Otherwise we had to rip out half of the garden.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 16, 2009 8:04 AM

This flower is awesome. My DH & I both love plants and birds.He is drooling over my computer, Now he wants one.Smile

I will see if we can get it in AZ?

The photo is great! Thanks, for sharing it.

Mary

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 2:50 AM

kyrabeader:
I would love to enter this contest! I have been thinking of a spring/flower themed bracelet for months!

Kyra, I hope you do!  We're getting down to the wire, though, so hurry and get that entry in!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 3:19 AM

Jeni, wow, what a beautiful flower!  I've never seen one before, but it sure is pretty.  Thank you for sharing it with us!!!!!  Wilted Flower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 3:41 AM

Hi, everyone!  Michelle tells me that she's received 13 entries so far -- that's great!

Most of the entries are in the Experienced Bead Artist category.  Aren't there any relative beginners out there who'd like to enter?  What have you got to lose?

Less than 48 hours left to enter! Time

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
figment2 wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 5:06 AM

I submitted my entry yesterday in the "Beginners" category.  If you recall, about a month ago I posted a picture of a bead crochet necklace that was embellished with peyote roses.

I didn't think I was going to be around to enter it into the contest as I was going on vacation.  I only found out recently that the contest date was pushed out.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
rgenovese wrote
on Jul 17, 2009 10:25 AM

Lisa:

Most of the entries are in the Experienced Bead Artist category.  Aren't there any relative beginners out there who'd like to enter?  What have you got to lose?

Ooh! I'll volunteer to enter as a beginner! I *love* those lampwork beads! *grin*

I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able finish in time because I haven't been feeling well (I was recently diagnosed with late-stage Lyme Disease and the treatment has been seriously kicking my butt), but my entry is almost ready. I should be able to finish it up tonight so I'm not scrambling like a maniac around tomorrow. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 18, 2009 5:09 AM

rgenovese:

Ooh! I'll volunteer to enter as a beginner! I *love* those lampwork beads! *grin*

I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able finish in time because I haven't been feeling well (I was recently diagnosed with late-stage Lyme Disease and the treatment has been seriously kicking my butt), but my entry is almost ready. I should be able to finish it up tonight so I'm not scrambling like a maniac around tomorrow. :)

Glad you're feeling better and I hope you entered your piece in time. I'm sooooo excited to see what everyone made!

I sent the email with my entries (made two) just two minutes ago and I'm happy how the pieces turned out. This was so much fun! Hope you all had that, too.

Page 11 of 15 (218 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS