Horizontal Netting Necklace Formula

This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Apr 26, 2009 6:59 AM

Does anyone have a formula for the number of Japanese 11/0 seed beads needed in each net to get the correct curve for a horizontal netting necklace?  I've stitched and ripped and stitched and ripped and stitched and...  I seem to get either too much or too little curve and I'm frustrated!  [:'(]

I picked up some gorgeous labradorite teardrops at a bead show recently and would like to feature them along the bottom edge of the necklace.  This particular necklace needs to be 18" at the neckline, although ideally I'd like a formula that can be used for any length.  The design includes two rows of netting at the back, graduated to 5 rows at the front center.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa  Paradise

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Apr 27, 2009 8:06 PM

Hi, everyone!  I thought it might be helpful if I posted a photo of the necklace I'm working on so you can see what I mean -- WAY too much curvature:

Labradorite Lace Necklace - in progress

Help, please!!!

lisa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Apr 27, 2009 8:27 PM

I see what you mean.... I find if I want a netting project to hang DOWN more and have less curve, that instead of stringing my rows AROUND the neck, I have to string the rows up and down.... does that make sense? I'm sorry, I sold the necklace I made like that.... so can't show you how that lets the netting hand DOWN more..... it's a great design thus far! I really like it, and if you undrestood what I was trying to say, you might find you already have the pattern right....

Lois

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
figment2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2009 10:49 AM

On the couple of netting necklaces that I've done, I discovered that the few rows closest to the neckline need to be much, much smaller that the outer rows.  Take a look at this necklace and you can see what I mean.  BTW....it's not mine, I just thought it made a good example.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=9210402

Edit:  I forgot to mention that the inner rows are 3 bead netting and the outer rows are 5 bead netting.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Apr 28, 2009 11:37 AM

figment:
much, much smaller that the outer rows.

WOW -- I see what you mean.

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Apr 29, 2009 3:18 AM

Figment,

Wow, what a beautiful necklace!

figment:
the few rows closest to the neckline need to be much, much smaller that the outer rows.

That's actually my problem right now -- the outer rows have too many beads, which is causing the necklace to be too curvy.  I was hoping someone might have a formula for using 11/0 seed beads in horizontal netting, and your hint of 3-bead nets for the inner and 5-bead nets for the outer rows may be just what I was looking for.  The Etsy piece has a great description that may also give me the hint I ultimately need -- the fact that the designer used "Russian Bead Netting".  So I'm going to Google it before I pick up the needle again.

Many thanks for the advice!!!  Big Smile

lisa  Paradise

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Apr 29, 2009 3:21 AM

Lois,

I totally get what you're saying -- you're suggesting that I switch from horizontal netting to vertical netting, right?  I'm going to try that, plus see if I can find instructions for Russian netting -- I might end up stitching both!

Kommol tata!  Big Smile (That's thank you very much in Marshallese)

lisa Paradise

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
figment2 wrote
on Apr 29, 2009 6:12 AM

Lisa:  Do a search on Etsy for the same bead designer that did that necklace.  I believe she has a tutorial for that very necklace for sale.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Apr 29, 2009 8:46 AM

Lisa-- you got it! I've only ever DONE virtical netting. I got a pattern when I was about 14 for a netted collar, about 6 inches wide.... fell in love with it and attached it to the neckline of a dress that I still have somewhere.... After that, I've made any netting project from making it up as I go.... it's the only "stitch" i've ever really done. Good luck, and I LOVE the project! I'm sure once you find the perfect pattern, it will be a real showstopper.

Lois

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on Apr 30, 2009 5:36 PM

Lois, I really appreciate the encouragement!  I've had to set the necklace aside to complete another project with a deadline, but can't wait to get back to it.  The labradorite teardrops are extraordinarily beautiful -- all of them have a LOT of opalescence, instead of the boring, gray, cloudy beads I've frequently seen in lab.  I'll be sure to post a photo once it's complete (and I've solved the curvature problem)  Big Smile

lisa  Paradise

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,884
LoisB@23 wrote
on Apr 30, 2009 6:33 PM

Those darned deadlines, always cramping our creative muse, eh? Yes, I noticed those drops seemed to be far above average quality. Only 1 or 2 aren't flashing in the photo, so that would imply an excellent refractive quality. I have some faceted nuggets I bought that have the most BRILLIANT cobalt blue flashes in them, they have to be the prettiest pieces I've ever seen. I've got 2 sets of 3 and I just can't seem to decide what will set them off sufficiently...so they sit in a dark drawer waiting for their chance. I've still never seen any that flashed that color since.

Can't wait to see the finished project!

Lois

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 30, 2009 10:42 PM

I know nothing about netting but wanted to comment cause I think it looks great!

I don't see what's wrong with it but that's probably because I don't do this kind of stuff yet.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 815
LisaKwaj wrote
on May 1, 2009 11:00 PM

Cat,

The necklace is too "curvy" so that when you lay it around your neck, it ruffles instead of laying flat.  See how it curves around in the photo?  That's too much!  I probably need to adjust the number of seed beads and possibly switch from working my way down the length of the necklace to working vertically.  I've had to put it aside for awhile while I work on a couple of other projects with deadlines, but I really appreciate the input in the meantime.  Big Smile

lisa  Paradise

Not Ranked
Posts 5
dhkoenig wrote
on May 18, 2013 10:09 PM

Hey Guys - can you direct me to a basic netting necklace pattern?  I would love to just start with a basic netting collar with some fringe at the bottom but I can't seem to find any patterns.  Anybody have a link to something simple to start?  (I have extensive experience with peyote and ladder and brick and harringbone etc...and setting cabs, but never tried a simple netting necklace and just need the basics to get started.  Thanks in advance!  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,259
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 19, 2013 7:04 AM

Here is the place I used to learn a lot of different stitches. Just browse around and I am sure you can find what you are looking for. They have a Free area and a section called New Patterns. You will find both free and purchase under the New patterns. http://bead-patterns.com/

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS