Chain with a twist

This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 5:13 PM

The "Chain Lady" strikes again! (na na boo boo Stan) LOL 

This is what I decided to do with those ugly beads I had. I still don't like them, but I do like the necklace style. I may have to make another one with some prettier beads.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35932382@N08/3405868218/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35932382@N08/3405868334/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 5:23 PM

That is awesome Robin. See I'm sure we all knew you would come up with something great like this. And I still like those beads Big Smile

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 5:34 PM

Cat :

That is awesome Robin. See I'm sure we all knew you would come up with something great like this. And I still like those beads Big Smile

Thanks Cat.

I think we've already determined that as much as you and I have in common, color preferences isn't one of them. I like bold, mostly primary colors and from what I can tell, you tend to lean more toward the softer colors. My favorite colors to work with are black, brown, red, blue, green, white, and yellow. I just received some wonderful African turquoise beads today though! They are really pretty. I can't wait to figure out what I will do with them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 193
KrispyCakes wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 5:43 PM

I really like this Robin! I agree with you on the color. Pink isn't my favorite.  I really like how you used the chain in this one! It's definitely something different. And I see you toyed a little with the wire. Great work!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 5:48 PM

KrispyCakes:

And I see you toyed a little with the wire. Great work!

Yeah baby....I can make some coils!  LOL  I just can't make the other kind of coils. (the kind that go around the wire) I actually thought about pulling the center out of these coils to make them hang down in little ringlets.....but I haven't decided yet. Plus, then I think that whoever wears it would end up getting poked in the chest all the time by the wire. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Apr 1, 2009 7:24 PM

Littlebird:

No spika da leguwedge, ladee; but 'slong you pikta smile at me, me no kaer. :;-)

Most likely I would not have purchased said beads, but you did get back to creating, AND, I think the necklace is nice.  So there!

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 7:35 PM

Stan B.:

Littlebird:

No spika da leguwedge, ladee; but 'slong you pikta smile at me, me no kaer. :;-)

Most likely I would not have purchased said beads, but you did get back to creating, AND, I think the necklace is nice.  So there!

Stan B.

LOL Stan!  I don't know why I bought the beads....normally I wouldn't have either. Can I claim temporary insanity? I think maybe the lighting must have been bad at the bead show because when I got home and looked at them again, I was surprised that I bought them. Anyway......that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Apr 1, 2009 8:21 PM

Littlebird:
you tend to lean more toward the softer colors

I LOVE blues and greens of all shades and depths. I am not much of a pink person actually but do like it. I just can't wear pink well, LOL. Does that make sense? I also like earthy colors, olive green, brown, coppers but not really mixed like in certain gemstones. So yes, while I think we have a lot in common, our color combos are quite different. Though I loved everything you put together, most just are not good colors for me to wear.

But I do love bright colors as well. I guess it just depends. I have had a necklace sitting on my board untouched now for two weeks because I can't find what I want for it. It has peridot colored lampwork beads, bright pink MOP coins, and deep turquoise blue tear drop shaped beads. I already have a name for it too and at one point was completely put together. Then decided to change the design and haven't found the piece I need. Rats!

My sister receives a lot of what I make as well as others, so putting something together, I may have someone else in mind that it would be good for.

You do well with bold colors, I couldn't pull them off so well Big Smile

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 1:15 AM

Hm, will I get "boos" when I say that I like these beads? I'm definitely no pink lady, as you can see in my jewelry, but I love them. And a fantastic necklace, Robin. A collar-style piece. Are the three rows connected through the coiled wire pieces? The coils look really neat. Well done!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 5:29 AM

Dagmar:

Hm, will I get "boos" when I say that I like these beads? I'm definitely no pink lady, as you can see in my jewelry, but I love them. And a fantastic necklace, Robin. A collar-style piece. Are the three rows connected through the coiled wire pieces? The coils look really neat. Well done!

Yes, Dag....it was actually very easy to put together. I used my three inch long head pins and counted down 16 links in each of the three chains. I put a bead on the pin and put it through a link, put on another bead and put it through the link in the next chain, and put on another bead and put it through the link in the last chain. I then added one more bead to the outside and coiled the headpin to hold them in place. I then counted down four more links and repeated the process all the way down the chains. Once I got to the end, I counted to make sure there were 16 links on the other end and actually had to add a couple of links to make them total 16. Then I added the toggle clasp and I was done.

The necklace lays beautifully on the neckline. I'm going to have to make another one with different beads I think. And the good thing is that the bead stations actually prevent it from getting tangled up. I've got some ideas on really jazzing up this same design that I'm going to tackle in the next day or two.

wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 5:42 AM

Robin, I think that turned out great, and you didn't even have to worry about what to pair them with!  Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.  I sometimes have a hard time with "simple". 

Next time I run into the "I just don't have the perfect thing to go with that" issue, I'll try to keep this in mind.Yes

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 5:49 AM

Jsmaz:

Robin, I think that turned out great, and you didn't even have to worry about what to pair them with!  Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.  I sometimes have a hard time with "simple". 

Next time I run into the "I just don't have the perfect thing to go with that" issue, I'll try to keep this in mind.Yes

Exactly Jeni! Since I was having such a hard time figuring out what to pair with these beads, I just decided not to pair anything at all. I think that's one reason that I like chain so much. Chain can be a design element all by itself and you can do so many cool things with it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 6:23 AM

Robin - Very cool idea! I never thought of it that way. May I have your permission to use this idea? You could do a little tutorial project and then submit it to the magazines. It seems so simple but I would have NEVER thought of it!

Congratulations, I think it is a wonderful piece!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 6:25 AM

I may try a variation of using smaller beads on the top row and grow larger as the rows progress. Start with 4mm, switch to 6mm, then 8mm, you all get the idea! I wonder how that would look?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS