My weekend projects

This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 8:07 AM

Here are a few things I made over the weekend. It was rainy weather, so it was perfect to stay inside and make jewelry.

This is the one that I had to buy those expensive cones from the LBS. At least they do fit perfectly and look nice.This was made with green azurite, onyx, and a silver pendant that I had in my jewelry box already.

Lapis, silver, and clear crystals make up this necklace.

This one was a request from a girl at work. She bought the focal and wanted me to make her a necklace around it. I had made myself the same necklace awhile back, and she really loved it, so I made her one too. This was made with Siam and Crystal Golden Shadow crystals, top drilled freshwater pearls, and gold plated chain.

I think this was my favorite. I call it "Bohemian Rhapsody" because that's the name that came to me while I was making it. It's made with carnelian, coral, brown crystals, and antiqued gold beads.

I actually made this one a few weeks ago, but fixed the clasp. It's wood and turquoise beads.

And last, but not least, some gold and crystal drop earrings. I really love how these hang.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 9:39 AM

They are all very pretty but I must say the first two are my favs. I adore the first one, love the colors and how you mixed it up with the silver focal. Great job.

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 10:07 AM

That's my 15 year old daughter's favorite too. But I think it's a little "old" for her. She actually asked me if she could wear it sometime and I said, "I think it's a little too mature for you."  LOL  I have made her a few necklaces and bracelets and even taught her how to make a few basic things. But she doesn't have the patience for it. She gets bored too quick.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 10:33 AM

Very pretty work! I need to get my butt in gear and make some new things! You have such a great eye for putting colors together! Congratulations on such wonderful work!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 10:34 AM

Maybe you can make a smaller younger version for your daughter? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 11:03 AM

OK, the first two are definitely my favs! The colors are great. I'm an absolute blue (and green) lover. But I like the earrings, too, the way you put them together, the idea. Beautiful!

Yeah, I definitely should make some more things! Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 11:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Big Smile

Since I'm still learning, I feel like I don't really have a signature "style" yet. I'd like to develop that at some point so that eventually (if I get really good) people will be able to look at a piece of mine and know it's mine. Right now, I'm kinda all over the place....experimenting with different things.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,095
Sherri S. wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 12:04 PM

The first two are also my favorites.  I love lapis and silver together.   I have to say, you are brave being such a new beader and diving in to do multi-strand necklaces.  I've been beading 4-5 years and have only made perhaps two multi-strand necklaces, one of which I had to re-do because the spacing between the strands wasn't right.  Yours look perfect!  Nice job!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 2:28 PM

Sherri S.:

The first two are also my favorites.  I love lapis and silver together.   I have to say, you are brave being such a new beader and diving in to do multi-strand necklaces.  I've been beading 4-5 years and have only made perhaps two multi-strand necklaces, one of which I had to re-do because the spacing between the strands wasn't right.  Yours look perfect!  Nice job!

Thanks Sherri. I just seem to be more attracted to multi-strand necklaces, so that's what I end up making most of. I've probably made 20-30 already. I am learning different ways of connecting them and as for spacing them right....I don't know, it's all a big guess with me. LOL I just try to put together what I think looks good. If I use large beads on one strand, I'll use smaller ones on the other. I try to coordinate colors but use different variations of textures and sizes to add interest.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 5:58 PM

Are you sure you're really new to all this? Those are just gorgeous, esp the 1st 2, but thats cause im a cool colors person. And those earrings, highly creative way you put them together i love it! My fav is deff the 1st piece, i love the color combos and its a very stricking piece. I too am still all over the place in styles, i'll prolly never havea  signature style, i'd get bored making things so much alike. But i can say i have made this one necklace and earrings set in many colors now. The types of beads change a bit with each color, all depends on what i have on hand or what i find to use. The one thing about them all is the over all design is the same and they all use teardrop shaped beads. The fun thing is, i've had one lady buy all the sets ive made so far but one, she loves the style but that last set is red and she just dont have anything to wear with it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 6:05 PM

I love the first and last necklace. It's like you have been doing this for years! Don't worry about a signature style, just let the beads and your imagination do the talking..uh...err beading.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 547
Littlebird wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 6:34 PM

ShawnaM:

Are you sure you're really new to all this? Those are just gorgeous, esp the 1st 2, but thats cause im a cool colors person. And those earrings, highly creative way you put them together i love it! My fav is deff the 1st piece, i love the color combos and its a very stricking piece.

Yep...promise. Big Smile I guess I've been doing it about maybe 7-8 weeks now? I know I started doing it right after I got my PICC line out, which I had in for three months getting IV antibiotics for my spinal infection. I was so tired and bored from being incapacitated for the last 6 months, that I just one day decided that I wanted to make jewelry. I've always loved jewelry and have a lot of it.....but I never made it myself. I was browsing Ebay one day for jewelry....and came across some that a lady had made that was so pretty. It made me think, "Hey I bet I could do that." So I googled jewelry making and found Fire Mountain Gems and ended up placing an order that day for over $100 worth of stuff. Of course, I didn't get some things that I DID need, and ended up buying some stuff that I didn't need. But it's all been a learning curve and I've done a lot of reading and experimenting and it's beginning to come together for me.

I've always been a creative and visual person, so putting together things that look good together has been the easy part for me. The difficult part has been figuring out the technical aspects and figuring out how to make the jewelry so that it's sturdy and doesn't fall apart.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 119
KristaBella wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 6:52 PM

All I can say is .. Wow.. You have an incredible eye for colour Littlebird, your necklaces are gorgeous.. And if you're a newbie, you were definitely meant to bead.. I love the lapis and the first necklace.. Just incredible..

Keep up the amazing work :)

Krista

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 43
LenaB@9 wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 9:39 PM

They are very cool!!! But my favorite is second one.

Lena

Welcome to My Website
Welcome to My Blog
wrote
on Apr 2, 2009 2:01 PM

Love that azurite necklace, and the one with the wood beads as well-my 2 faves.  Nice work Robin!

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS