crimp beads cut wire?

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
wendygoerl wrote
on Aug 26, 2014 3:47 PM

i just finished my first bracelets last night (actually, this morning); all of them involved seed beads (size not labeled and I'm too much of a newbie to guess, 34-gauge, and a necklace findings kit I got at Wal-Mart (only bead supply in my town). The third one broke before I even finished it, and the second broke as I was showing it to my painter's group. In each case, the wire broke going around the jump ring, and one of them broke on the bead side of the crimp bead, too. One of my fellow painters said that when she had been actively beading, she always used sterling crimp beads because cheap ones cut the wire. I've just searched about this, and nobody seems to have anything to say on the subject.

Thoughts?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,958
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 27, 2014 3:36 PM

wendygoerl -

Personally, I only use sterling silver crimp beads. As any other I have used crumble. I'm looking into trying copper crimps when I can find some. As one of our members has suggested using them. (And since copper is cheaper than sterling silver I'm willing to give it a go.)

You should be able to do a forum search and find several threads on the topic. Or at least where they have been mentioned. 

I'm sorry that your pieces fell apart. 

wendygoerl:
and a necklace findings kit I got at Wal-Mart (only bead supply in my town).

I know how that is I don't have a bead shop within  100 miles of me. I do all my supply shopping on line. 

I hope that when you get your pieces repaired and completed you will post a picture in the Reader Showcase. We do love to ooohhh & aaahhh! over what others are creating.

Good Luck

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS