Spam again

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Aug 23, 2014 12:08 PM

If you notice, in the Reader Showcase there are four new spams all posted within two or three minutes of each other with different names. The first two use the same background under different names. Not fooling this old guy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 11, 2014 1:16 PM

I have written both Jennifer and Tiffany many times about this matter, however nothing has changed. To my dismay I have no power to eliminate anything other than posts in the forum

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 12, 2014 5:14 AM

I'm sorry it's become such a pain, Sue.  I wish I'd run into Jen at Bead Fest; I could have said something to her personally.Sad

BTW, do you know who removed Potomac Beads' posts?  They are absolutely legit and on the up and up and have permission to post here. Was that not known?  Confused 

BTW, where is that lighthouse?  It makes me smile because it reminds me of the lighthouse I saw on Assateague this summer, only theirs is red and white striped, with the little lightkeeper's house beside it.  Here, I'll upload you a picture.  I love lighthouses:

It is very tall!  I tried to make the climb, but my injuries would not allow it.  Just as well, I'm very acrophobic, anyway.  Still, it is lovely, and the oldest lighthouse in the country.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 12, 2014 8:36 AM

I didn't know Potomac had any post recently removed. So I can assure you it wasn't I. Don't have a clue as to who did.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Sep 12, 2014 12:50 PM

Potomac's latest bead post is still up in Bead Chat.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 12, 2014 2:04 PM

Well, hmmm....when I went to look at their post from the other day it said, Resource not found.  Maybe me computer was acting up, I dunno.  How perplexing.

So, where is your lighthouse located?

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 12, 2014 7:18 PM

It is located in Ludington MI, on Lake Michigan. It is the Big Sable Point, (which in French (I believe)  translates to "Big Sand Point"). There are only two excesses to the lighthouse, 1: by water, 2: by a very long 1.5 mile (2.4km) walk or bike ride up a hilly sand trail no motorized vehicle of any type allowed on the sand here. Not for the weak hearted to ride that on a bike. I know it was difficult for me to maneuver. At the time we went, it was in August and I was then overweight and struggling with asthma. Even though I have since dropped 60 pounds  I am now a few years older, and at 68 I think I will next visit the lighthouse by boat.

If you want to ride on the sand dunes you have to go south to the Silver Lake area. You have to purchase a special off road permit, and flatten all your tires to do so. I did the a couple years ago, and I tell you, once is enough for me. The only nice thing about that is if you plan on going for the sunset, which is a scene  out of a picture book. It also is the only way to get to some of the stretches of the lakeshore. But if you are looking for sea glass, forget it, you have to go north of Ludington to a place called Magoon Creek in Manistee MI.where you will find your share of the gems.

Two of the people in this picture are my son and daughter-in-law. The boardwalk is only after you reach the lighthouse. It is all sand and sand dunes to get there. They do have viewing areas on way, where you can stop and set on a park bench and rest, and maybe do some bird watching. for most of the area around there is either dunes or marsh land. 

here hare a couple of links to information on the light house:

http://www.splka.org/lights.html

this link is a bunch of pictures of the lighthouse.

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+sable+point+lighthouse&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS457US458&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WH0TVI66LcbdoASz34H4Bg&ved=0CFAQ7Ak

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 14, 2014 5:29 AM

Sue,

You are allowed to drive on to Assateague, but you must park your car at the visitor center and leave it until you leave the island.  Assateague is 37 miles long.  Most of it belongs to Virginia, but part of it belongs to Maryland.  Virginia takes much better care of the island than Maryland does. It is now a wildlife preserve, mostly to protect the ponies' natural habitat.  Our ponies(I'm a Virginian, not a native New Yorker) are still wild, and You may not go near them.  there was an access road on the island for a while, but people were using it to run over the ponies, and throw rocks at them from their cars (seriously, what is wrong with people?!), so the road was allowed to go wild and people were kicked off.  You may visit the nature preserve, you may do the lighthouse walking tour (at 10 miles long with my broken back?  NOT!), and they have the lighthouse tour itself.  What a lonely life that must have been!  You may also go swimming at the beach.  Assateague has a beautiful, pristine beach right next to the Ocean.  You are expected to pick up after yourself.  If you don't, don't think you'll be allowed back.  And at sunset, everyone is off the island. Period. I think that's something worth supporting.  We went on a cruise while we were there and saw a couple of the herds. I got some good shots, even though we were several miles away (you are not allowed to land your boat on the island):

Naturally, it was a bit easier to get a shot of the lighthouse from sea:

Suffice it to say, when I'm able to return home to Virginia to live, I have found exactly where I want to live-- Chincoteague.  To me, it is paradise.  However, I should love to come up and visit Michigan one of these days, preferably in the summer, and I should like to see that lighthouse.  Does it ever get warm enough to swim in Lake Michigan or no?  In the Rochester area you can't swim in Ontario because the dolts polluted it.  Dunno if it's ever neen cleaned up or not.

Well, our heat's been turned off here, abruptly as always.  That's why I hate the weather in the North so much.  I am dreading another winter here because I've been told it's going to be a repeat of last year.  Groan!  I barely survived last winter.  Seriously.  I got sick of the constant subzero weather very quickly.  Then I got sick and nearly died.  Somebody get me outta here!!!!!  

Thanks for the 411.  Can't wait to look it up.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 14, 2014 11:10 AM

Valbeads:
 Does it ever get warm enough to swim in Lake Michigan or no?

Yes, but I have to say it is mostly for the brave at heart. The air is warmer than the water. Lake Michigan is very deep and very cold, but that does not stop a lot of brave souls.

Here is a picture of the North Breakwater Light at Stearns Park, the picture was taken at sunset from Waterfront Park. This link will take you to a page with more information on this lighthouse..

http://www.visitludington.com/stories/north_breakwater_lighthouse_and_pier_downtown_ludington_lake_michigan

The next picture is the Bager, the ferry to Wis. As you can see it is huge and sea worthy. The next picture is of a yacht coming into the harbor in Ludington,MI. And last but not least, my favor part of this park; ART. LOL the dog is a statue, but the boy setting on him is not. All the other children in this picture are statues.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS