kumihimo beaded bracelet

This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
TenaI wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 5:46 PM

Does anyone know how many #8 beads you use in making a bracelet?  I took a class in kumihimo weaving with seed beads and I have not made any in a while and guess what, I forgot.   We have just recently moved and I can not find my notes either.  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  I tried e-mailing the instructor and she has not answered my request. 

Thanks

isabeads

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 1:27 AM

Hi,

I think it depends on the kind of kumihimo weave (the number of threads), the lenght of the bracelet, how many beads in one row etc. Can you specify your request a bit? I tried kumihimo only without beads, but there are so many weaves and it will be hard to determine the number of beads.

Maybe you can contact the blog owner of this one: http://bevsjewelry.blogspot.com/search/label/Kumihimo%20Bracelets She made some kumihimo bracelets and is very helpful (helped me with some chain maille questions).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 146
on Feb 14, 2009 5:08 PM

I'm not sure if this helps, but, in the book Getting Started with Seed Beads by Dustin Wedekind, he says that size 11 roughly measures one inch when 11 seed beads are lined up side by side (not hole to hole).  A size 6 is about twice as big, with size 8 somewhere in between.  By doing some math, you should be able to guess-timate the size of your bracelet.

' hope this helps.  I am very interested in learning kumihimo weaving, good luck with it.

happy beading,

cw

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,329
DebWAZ wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 5:41 PM

As Dagmar said, it depends on the particular braid and how many strands you are braiding with.

For our kumihimo classes, we use 8 strands to make a bracelet. The 8 strands are actually 4 26" long strands (doubled). We use seed beads as small as 13/0s or so, to as large as 8/0. When you're using seed beads, the size doesn't matter too much and you can mix sizes as long as your strands are long enough. You can even throw in larger beads as large as 4-5 mm, or even larger into the bead soup if you want a chunkier look. If we use larger "chunky" beads, we make the strands longer because it will take more to braid around the "chunks".

If you are using more than 8 strands, the length of each strand might be slightly different, but I can't say for sure. I'll try to help if you aren't using 8 strands - just give me a holler, okay?

Deb - AZ Bead Depot

Deb

Apache Junction, AZ

www.azbeaddepot.com

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,144
on Feb 14, 2009 7:12 PM

This will take you to the FMG Encyclobeadia.  About halfway down the list is "Bead  and hole sizes".  They also have inch to mm and mm to inch conversion charts in the same listing.   Just hi-lite, copy and paste the URL into address bar.

<http://www.firemountaingems.com/encyclobeadia/beading_results.asp?doccat=Knowledge+Base>

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
TenaI wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 7:34 PM

Thank you all for responding to my kumihimo question.  Thanks to you I have it figured out. 

isabeads 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
AudreyP@13 wrote
on Mar 24, 2009 5:19 PM

You need 30-35 beads on each strand.

30-makes your standard length

35 - makes it between 8.5 - 9 inches

Audrey P

www.thebeadingdr.com

Not Ranked
Posts 9
AudreyP@13 wrote
on Mar 24, 2009 5:23 PM

This is Teena,

I had a computer crash, and lost my information, and do not have back up, so i found your info in my receipt book, smile. I will send you a copy of getting started

Audrey

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JulieH@81 wrote
on Feb 14, 2010 9:26 AM

I took a class recently and we used about 74  #8 beads on each of 3 strings, and 4mm beads on the fourth string.  We found the center of each string and split the beads evenly on each side (thus creating our 8 cords for the disk).  Hope that helps!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 14, 2010 8:54 PM

I got a foam disk. To learn on. When I get the Basics,Deb at A-Z Bead Depot in Apache Juction,AZ has the wood ones. (that is on my wish list=)

So happy I found this thread, it explains alot. I haven't tried it yet.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 15, 2010 8:43 AM

Be creative...ladies, Kumihimo is one of my favorite...I have made many bracelets.  Don't just use seed beads...use different types of of beads and stones.  If you have strandsof stones...line them up and twist them...this is what your finished look will be.  I made two different kumi bracelets for Lois in the bracelet swap and while the design is exactly the same, the use of the beads made them totally different.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Rose@171 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 12:10 PM

Thank you every one. Will be taking this to the  hospital to be keeping my fingers and hands busy.

Thank you again.Wilted Flower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Rose@171 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 12:10 PM

Thank you every one. Will be taking this to the  hospital to be keeping my fingers and hands busy.

Thank you again.Wilted Flower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Rose@171 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 12:11 PM

Thank you. Will be stringing some beads today . This will go with me to the hospital tomorrow.

Appreciat t his.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on Jul 25, 2011 2:58 PM

Hi Tenal,

A good "rule of thumb" if you're using size 8 beads on all 8 warps is 8 beads to the inch on all 8 warps.  Or, a total of 64 beads per each inch of braid you want to make.  Be sure to leave a small portion of unbeaded braid at each end for the end caps.

HTH,

Anne

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS