collage beadwork using mesh forms

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
springs2 wrote
on Mar 4, 2014 12:55 PM

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I want to try doing a piece with crystals in sew on settings using a mesh form to stitch the setting to.  However;  I am clueless, should I use something like fireline or some gauge of wire. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,564
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 4, 2014 8:07 PM

metal mesh or fabric? if metal, I'd go with wire, if fabric I think something like Fireline would be fine as the sew on settings are not usually sharp edged

lots of questions, not much info to work with..........how big will this be? will you use needlepoint stitches? DMZ

Not Ranked
Posts 8
springs2 wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 8:00 AM

Metal mesh form approx. 1/1/2 inch oval.  I'm trying to arrange a faceted crystal piece reminiscent of older costume jewelry that my grandmother used to wear.  I have also noticed that a number of stores are selling necklace with larger groupings using faceted crystals in setting-either glued in or possibly soldered to a backing. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
AlexiaFF wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 8:40 AM

Are you using a mesh oval jewelry disk with a 4 prong backing that is seperate? If so, you can use 26 or 24 gauge wire. 

Some beaders use fireline.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
springs2 wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 9:27 AM

Yes, that is the item that is being used. I'm glad to hear the wire suggestions, since yesterday afternoon when I sat down to start this project I opted for 24 gauge due to the weight and size of some of the crystals.  I figured when I get to the edge and use smaller crystals and setting I would use a lighter wire gauge.  Just wanted to know if I was on the right track.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
AlexiaFF wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 10:53 AM

You can use a smaller gauge wire. You can always go back through each bead twice. Just make sure on the outer edge of the disk, you leave room to attach the backing disk. Remember you have the prongs. You can bend them down with chain nose pliers under a bead of the outer edge. Do it gently so not to break your beads. Another thing, try to use a long length of wire ( about 2 ft) .This way you won't have a bunch of wire in the back making it hard to attach the backing. 

Have fun. Show us a pic when done.

Alexia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,564
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 1:57 PM

springs, I used to buy sell and collect vintage costume jewelry and most of the ones like you are remembering were done with a fine wire worked around so that the beginning and end were close to each other and twisted together, folded close to the mesh and cut short to fit inside the space allowed by the backing. When the material used was light weight beads or wood beads the material used was a thread.......which over the years would deteriorate if not cared for, so Fireline would be good for the really small and relatively light weight sparklies. 

Have fun,  your finger tips will probably be a bit sore. I always found working with the beads, wire and mesh ended up needing strong fingers and grip and afters I had to warm and massage my fingers and hands. Do post a picture when you are done................ Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 8
springs2 wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 4:46 PM

Thanks to both  of you, Donna and Alexia for the valuable suggestions and advise. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS